Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/11/2006 5:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 6:01:58 AM EDT by Detslider]
I went out to shoot a few weeks back, stumbled upon a new (to me) spot, obviously I had missed the invitation to the earlier party though.
The site was absolutely littered with garbage. 90% firearm related. Aside from some exercise equipment and an appliance or two I didn't see much illegal dumping just allot of old targets, shotgun shells, brass, boxes, etc.
What really bothered me is that to get to the site you have to drive past not one, but two large signs asking to help keep the forest clean, both within .25mi of each other. Sad to say the least.
So I've decided to do something about it-
I'll be back this Saturday morning with an empty trailer, a box of gloves, trash bags, a mug of hot coffee and maybe a box of ammo to burn at the end of the day.
Anybody with some free time is welcome to join me and help me fill the trailer.
I wish it could be done on a dryer day but this Oregon and the clouds are here for a few more months at least so no sense in waiting.
I've uploaded a picture of the site here. Sorry for the crappy pic, it was taken at dusk, it shows that there really isn't allot of big items, just litter everywhere.
I'll post a map to the site in the next 24hrs. For those familiar with McGowan it is near the quarry at the end of the main paved road.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:04:20 AM EDT
Free bump.
Noble causes deserve to saty at the top.

CH
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:47:42 AM EDT
haven't gone shooting up mcgowan at all, usually go out off of wolf creek rd. where exactly this at?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:41:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/13/2006 4:27:59 AM EDT by Detslider]
To get to McGowan Creek road follow the directions to the Emerald Empire Gun Club, a nice club by the way. 36111 McGowan Creek Rd Springfield 97478
Directions: From I-5 take exit 194A to I-105 East (Hwy. 126) to the 42nd Street exit. Turn left on 42nd and go North 1/2 mile to Marcola Road. Turn Right on Marcola Road and go approximately 6.7 miles. Turn left on Hill Road at the Mohawk Community Church for 1 block, and then turn right at the Mohawk Store for 1/2 mile, then left on McGowan Creek Road (at the crest of a short hill and a bad spot, watch for oncoming traffic), for 1 1/2 miles to the range.
If you continue past the club (which is on the right) you will see an information booth on the left with free maps. Follow the shooting rules posted, proceed up the paved road and your coice of gravel side roads to explore and find a place to shoot. There are active logging sites so some roads may be closed or posted as no shooting zones.
The site I'll be at is all the way at the top of the hill at the end of the paved road. For a nice scenic view of the valley go to the top and you can see past Fern Ridge on a clear day. A nice area, just one thats abused.
I'll post a scanned copy of that free map soon.

ETA: scanner not working, it's always something right.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:00:29 PM EDT
I just took the pics off my camera and thought I'd post 'em here. Again they were taken at dusk so the quality is less than ideal.
here and here
I didn't get as much done as I wanted since I had to move out of the way while a couple Californians blasted at rocks and made gravel with their new Barrett. Whatever floats your boat eh?
I still managed to pick up about 1,500 shotgun shells (not an exaggeration) some skis, an exercise machine, several pieces of destroyed computer equipment, a few dozen plastic jugs and bottles, a foam pad and plenty of other general trash. cost all of $7 to haul it to the dump.
Didn't get much shooting done though. Wanted to practice some point shooting drills, maybe next weekend, anyone want to join me?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:05:09 PM EDT
If I was still in Eugene I would have like to join ya. Parts of that area up there just get trashed and it drives me crazy. Thanks for putting on the cleanup.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
VWTim, are you Tim T. now in Corvallis?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:13:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:37:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Detslider:
VWTim, are you Tim T. now in Corvallis?

Perhaps...who's asking?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:31:33 PM EDT
Check the pics above, truck and trailer look familiar?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:02:22 AM EDT
Hey how's it goin man? Good job on the cleanup, did Dave head up with you?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:32:17 AM EDT
no, don't think I even mentioned it to him. Just me, myself and I. Thought I was going to spend the night up there though, a heavy snow started falling about 5 min after I took those pics, it got dark, made it hard to drive out when I couldn't see the road....
drop me an IM, how is that AK build going?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:09:45 AM EDT
Detslider,

I just wanted to say thanks for the effort that you have put in.

Nox
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 4:03:31 PM EDT by scrybe]
I've been going to a pit past that a bit up Shotgun Creek. Good sized pit with room for both rifles and a real good berm for pistols. This pit isn't nearly as trashed as the one in the picture. I can post pics if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:48:13 PM EDT
Good job, I want to try to organize something like that up here. Will help keep those public shooting areas open to us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:30:09 AM EDT
yor welcome Nox, Peta, Hartman and Tim
I did it for me and my fellow gun owners. It wouldn't suprise me if one day I went out to shoot only to discover that the area had been gated off due to abuse. I'll do my part to keep it open,
Funny, the California guys who were out there blasting at rocks with thier Barrett and Glock fo-tee were a bit confused by my effort-
"So your out here just picking up trash?"
"Yeah"
"Just because, or is it your job?"
"No, just beacuse it needs to be done, I'm doing it for my own satisfaction"
"Huh....."

He then proceeded to shoot another couple hundred rounds, pack up and leave without picking up a single shell (not that I saw at least)

Hey scrybe, I'd be interested in seeing a pic.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:44:57 AM EDT
When I go out to shoot I bring a garbage bag with and I always bring back more than I take.... I like shooting up stuff same as the next guy but no need to leave it out there to tarnish all shooters reps.... Now if you can figger out some way to execute those idiots that shoot up the road signs life will be good....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:41:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 9:43:23 PM EDT by scrybe]
Here is a half-assed map so you can orient yourself:

Pistol Birm. This birm is actually about 12 or 15 feet tall. I'm atleast 25meters from it in this pic. The road down into the pit wraps around the pit directly behind this birm:

Outer edge of the pit. Steep hillside with road far below:

Cliff Face. Note the water on the right and the burnt Neon body on the left. The car is actually about 15 feet further away from the side of rock face now:

Pic from last weekend, Right edge of the cliff face, wind rippling the water. Water everywhere. That was a hell of a day to be up there:

Me climbing back out of the pit last weekend:

The entire place is pretty damn wet right now. It's only real deep in one or two spots though. The road in is getting a little washed out so you definitely need a vehicle with some ground clearance to get all the way into the pit. You can kind of see in that last pic how the rock face is pockmarked with bullet holes. Maybe the same Kommiefornians you met? I'd guess that the pit is roughly roughly 85 yards across, maybe more if you cut the right angle. There's a few shells laying around and some small random trash, but nothing major... well other than what's left of the Neon.

I didn't want to let too many people know about this location, as it has quickly become a favorite shooting spot. Detslider, you've obviously proven yourself as a responsible shooter, hit me up with a PM if you want directions. That goes for any other arfcomers too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 4:04:52 AM EDT by TheRealKiller]
sorry I missed this clean up but I didn't see the posts until they got bumped the other day

I have a spot that needs some TLC out that way as well. I don't have a pick up but I will help clean up and pay the dump fees if you bring the trailer. It is a good shooting spot. about 40yrds wide and 75yrds long. its high on 3 sides with enough room for 4 or 5 vehicles. I hardly ever see anyone there that is why I like it so much.

A guy I used to work with told me about laying out blue tarps when he went shooting that way most of the shells land on tarp making for easy clean up. I though it was a good tip.

Anyway if some of you guys want to get some shooting clean up done in the Eugene area IM/email me. I will be there if at all possible. my weekends are almost always free
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:18:46 PM EDT
one last post about McGowan Creek.
I went back to the same spot yesterday, sure enough there was an abundance of new trash. Not suprising. It will continue untill the whole site is celaned at once. A pile of trash encourages others to leave more.
Check out the pictures from the top, the view is really what makes this spot cool.
pic 1
same pic without all the bad illustrations
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:32:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Detslider:
one last post about McGowan Creek.
I went back to the same spot yesterday, sure enough there was an abundance of new trash. Not suprising. It will continue untill the whole site is celaned at once. A pile of trash encourages others to leave more.
Check out the pictures from the top, the view is really what makes this spot cool.
pic 1
same pic without all the bad illustrations

I go up to that spot all of the time. Great view of the valley on a clear day. I am heading up there tomorrow, or up Upper Camp Creek. Might take some pictures.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:39:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By scrybe:
Here is a half-assed map so you can orient yourself:
img517.imageshack.us/img517/894/poormap9wd.th.jpg

Pistol Birm. This birm is actually about 12 or 15 feet tall. I'm atleast 25meters from it in this pic. The road down into the pit wraps around the pit directly behind this birm:
img224.imageshack.us/img224/5470/m426gh.th.jpg

Outer edge of the pit. Steep hillside with road far below:
img224.imageshack.us/img224/8438/pit16cz.th.jpg

Cliff Face. Note the water on the right and the burnt Neon body on the left. The car is actually about 15 feet further away from the side of rock face now:
img53.imageshack.us/img53/1698/pit25yn.th.jpg

Pic from last weekend, Right edge of the cliff face, wind rippling the water. Water everywhere. That was a hell of a day to be up there:
img53.imageshack.us/img53/8614/wetshoot2gx.th.jpg

Me climbing back out of the pit last weekend:
img230.imageshack.us/img230/6474/pitclimb3iu.th.jpg

The entire place is pretty damn wet right now. It's only real deep in one or two spots though. The road in is getting a little washed out so you definitely need a vehicle with some ground clearance to get all the way into the pit. You can kind of see in that last pic how the rock face is pockmarked with bullet holes. Maybe the same Kommiefornians you met? I'd guess that the pit is roughly roughly 85 yards across, maybe more if you cut the right angle. There's a few shells laying around and some small random trash, but nothing major... well other than what's left of the Neon.

I didn't want to let too many people know about this location, as it has quickly become a favorite shooting spot. Detslider, you've obviously proven yourself as a responsible shooter, hit me up with a PM if you want directions. That goes for any other arfcomers too.

IM sent
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:19:20 PM EDT
<--- Thinking of organizing a cleanup on Memaloose. I really like shooting there, and don't want the assholes to ruin it for us.

Unfortunately, I already had to shit on my brother for shooting trees there last week. I would bring him to one of our shoots, but, honestly, I'm afraid he'll embarrass me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:35:10 PM EDT
Well, I got up to scrybe's pit today. Had a blast. The road down into the pit was a bit tricky though, and definitely not something for a car to attempt. Here's some pics:

A grand view of the pit:

The burned and destroyed Neon:

The pistol shooting berm:

Definitely on my list for places to shoot now.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:38:57 PM EDT
Sweet, I was wondering if it had snowed up there recently with how cold it is down here in the valley. Glad you had a good time man.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:17:55 PM EDT
That place is simply one of the most awesome places I've ever shot! Great place to christen my new mid length...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:11:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/6/2006 9:14:29 PM EDT by Bushwacker85]

Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
That place is simply one of the most awesome places I've ever shot! Great place to christen my new mid length...

Amen brotha. Glad we found it. It's worth the extra bit of driving distance.

ETA While looking at satellite photos, I found another quarry on the other side of the Horse Rock. Might be worth checking out. You know, we might need a back up spot if out spot is taken.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:09:00 PM EDT
You have a pic? I know that pit is visible on google earth as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 1:37:34 PM EDT by Bushwacker85]

Originally Posted By scrybe:
You have a pic? I know that pit is visible on google earth as well.

#2 is pretty visible from satellite, but is definitely smaller than #1. I looked at the topo maps too and they show another pit at #3. I can't make much out on satellite so it's probably pretty small, but a potential spot nonetheless.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:05:26 PM EDT
Hmm, good stuff.
Top Top