Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 10:58:01 PM EDT
I moved to portland about 3 weeks ago and have my Drivers License and motorcycle license. Now it is time to work on my CCW license. Can some one help with where to go in portland and maybe some tips to make it run smooth. I thank everyone in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
First, welcome to Oregon!

Second: www.co.multnomah.or.us/sheriff/chlunit.htm

That's, of course, if you are actually IN Multnomah county.

Concealed carry permits are a "will issue" in all of Oregon and are very typically run by the county sheriff's departments.

You can either show proof of prior CHL ownership (i.e., your old CHL card) or you'll need to take a CHL class from an NRA certified instructor for ~$60-65. Fork over about $60, a set of fingerprints and picture (taken at sheriff's office), and in about 3 weeks you'll have your permit in the mail.

Now, a few "nuances". Most states do not "reciprocate" Oregon CHLs, namely Washington and Idaho. Thus, your CHL is not valid there. So, what most people have done is grab a non-resident Utah license in addition to the Oregon. Utah's are valid for I think 23 states total, and nearly every close Western state except for California, Nevada, and Oregon.

Some of us attended a class for the Utah permit (and also provides for the Oregon one as well so only one class was needed). Guy by the name of Roger Moore at 503-668-0417.

Of course, www.packing.org is also a good resource.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I will be calling him tomorrow to see when the next class is.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool i'm goina have to do that.. was the price you Qutoed for that preticular class? i know locally you can pick up a course for around 30 at verious places...

Also i beleave you need to be a resident for something like 3 mouths or so before you can apply..
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is the thread on the Utah class:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=36&t=205153

If you are after an Oregon only permit the best classes I know of are held here:
www.co.clackamas.or.us/sheriff/pstc/main.htm
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on PSTC as the best class.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Will I need to go to Utah for the class?  I called Moore but there was not an answer, I will try back later.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in Washington county. Does that changs anything?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got 3 classes scheduled for January, the 7th, 15th, and 21st. The class costs $60. The ones on the 7th and 21st are in Clackamas, OR and the 15th in Ridgefield, WA.

There are cheaper classes out there as has been discussed, but those classes are typically only for the Oregon permit. My class is applicable for the Oregon and Utah and a few other states.  

Sorry 'bout the phone, it was hooked to my computer all weekend. Try the cell at 503-348-7354
or send me an email and I'll send more info.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to Utah, no. We went to Clackamas. You take the class here, then send all your paper work to Utah. They'll mail you back the forms.

Washington County, yes. It makes things easier.

www.co.washington.or.us/sheriff/service/ccw.htm

Same procedure.

After that, we'll talk about NFA items like silencers, short barrels, and machine guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Keth's sporting goods has CCW classes that cost about $35 IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It shouldn't.  Washington County has a very professional CHL department.  I"ve only had good experiences with them.

I'd suggest taking rmoore's class if you are all interested in a Utah out-of-state permit too.  
A Utah certifed firearms instructor is required for a Utah permit, and his price seems very reasonable for both Oregon and Utah.  

If you don't want to get a Utah permit, I'd at least suggest an out-of-state Washington permit.  You can apply at the Clark County Sheriff's office in Vancouver.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

changes the county you have to apply in...  since Portland is in Multnomah County  

No worries, Welcome to Oregon.  

Check out this page:  nwsafe.org/#schedule  They should have an updated schedule for 2006 out pretty soon.  Look for the HFS classes the guy Billy Benson does for $20.   That will satisfy the CCW requirement.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]
That is the one thing about the Utah permits. You can't be convicted of a "moral" crime and keep it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Makes things much easier,  or so I have been told.
I also live in Washington County, and my CCW process was a breeze.  I have heard one guy at the "Gun Store" in Portland complain that he had troubles getting his CCW in Multnoma(sp) county.

You might also call the GunBroker store on 99W out in Tigard.  I took my CCW class there, and the instructor was quite good(as compared to other CCW classes I have taken in Las Vegas, and Tucson AZ)

13500 S.W. Pacific Hwy.  
Tigard,  OR  97223
(503) 639-9614

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I sent you a check today for the Jan. 7th class. Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I would recommend the class from Oregon Firearms Academy. They were in excess of the state requirements and also taught double-taps and a few other practical defensive pistol techniques.

I got mine in lane co. I received it in about 10 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top