Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 8:40:18 PM EDT
I'm thinking seriuosly about selling AR15 parts, kits & uppers at the gun shows. I need to know how much interest there is for a place comperable to MOdel 1 sales, but at the local shows?
I don't do Portland, so I don't know if they have this up there, but in Douglas and Lane county I've only seen one guy selling the stuff and only at 2 shows in three years. I think I could compete with adds you see in SGN and such.

LMK if you think I should do it or not.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The market is there, as long as the price is competitive........personally, I'd pay 2 to 5% higher than the mail order guys if I could get it locally and support someone here. The problem is, as a whole, the AR parts market is pretty small compared to everthing else out there. That's part of the reason I like this site, because you can find EVERYTHING ever made for an AR...

I would love it if you did, but I don't think strictly selling AR parts is where the money's at.
Everybody who shoots a gun needs targets and cleaning supplies though....

ETA.....I realized I contradicted myself......I meant to say, I would't do just strictly AR stuff.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, maybe I need to sell beeny babys and beef jerky!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
How much you want for the beanie babies?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, God no...........I wouldn't even reccomend that to Cape.........

I dunno.......I think there is a local demand for AR stuff, but at the same time I don't think it's enough to make a living off of. You would be the hero of the day for a few guys at the PR matches if you showed up with a few spare parts for sale though.......
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah, maybe I need to sell beeny babys and beef jerky!

Don't knock the beef jerky man!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't this why we have WS4LIF around?

Perhaps the two of you could form a Pimp/Son relationship.  

I only rarely go to the gun shows, (been more than a year) but I always stop at the tables w black rifles, parts, and accessories.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:12:30 AM EDT
[#7]
first this killed me and I sooooooooooooooo wanted to talk some s to this guy but the rules and all

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=315196

and heck yes you should sell AR AK FAL and any other military type rifles and parts at the gun shows that is all I am ever looking for. It is a major drag most of the time cause I could care less about hunting rifles or hipionts/beenie babies

this is the kind of AR stuff I would buy

flat top 9mm uppers skinny barrel 16"

flat 9mm pistol uppers 7.5/10.5"

flat 223 upper skinny barrel or m4 14.5/16"

uppers flat/bolt carrier groups

barrels/barrel parts

lowers/pistol lowers

parts springs triggers rails free float tubes stocks etc.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know what yall have in Portland, but at the shows I hit I've NEVER seen AK kits, or building stuff. Once I saw a guy selling a single Tapco flat for $40, he also had some shit that was left over, like a sawed off AMD stock and the parts he had replaced with compliance parts. Would there be a market for AK kits?

Realkiller, I don't have a FFL, so there will be no lowers untill I get a FFL. I'll sell 80%ers though, I've allready talked to The Tannery Shop about that, we never got to price though, but he agreed to wholesale them to me (it's been over a year, he probablly forgot who I am, but I'm sure he'll still do it).

Realkiller, what 9mm plarform do you want, ie, sten mag type (Oly, Vulcan, ect.), or the Colt type?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it would be really cool to be selling things like that, but I think it would be a disaster financially speaking.

Call me a pessimist (I kinda like realist), but I simply don’t think there’s enough of a market here in the PNW for "assault rifles" and their parts. There’s a good bunch of folks  here and I’ve met some other folks around the area, but the number of enthusiasts that you would be catering to is relatively small. It seems like most of hill billys around here just want something to kill Bambi with, not a cool new grip (or anything else) for their black rifle.

If you wanted to expand your menu you’re going to have to face the new barrel ban.

Hate to rain on your parade,  but I just don’t see it penciling out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I think there is a market for AR parts but you would have to run it like Teknic does (out of your home to keep the costs down).  http://www.nwtactical.net/sess/utn;jsessionid=154285ad3b02185/shopdata/index.shopscript
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top