Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 9:20:30 AM EDT
It looks like it's kinda cold out and my dad said he saw several wrecks on the road to his house, probably caused by ice.
I'm considering getting some winter tires (I've never bothered with them before, I've only jack-knifed my truck once while pulling a flat bed over sexton) I'm leaning towards Green Diamond tires www.high-tec-retreading.com
What do yall think?

Does anyone sell these in Oregon?

What tires (tyres) do yall use?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have all weather radials on my car and I carry chains.  I've put them on more times then the husband has.  If I have to go some where and the weather/roads are very bad, David drives and we use the Jimmy.  It has good tires [no studs though], is 4 wheel drive and David is a very good driver [much better than I am].  Otherwise I stay home.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to put studs on every winter in Alaska.  In OR I don't bother.  Just a good tread snow tire and carry chains.

Edit to add: I'm driving a Dodge 2500 so my system may not work for you ;)

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Regular All-Season tires with Spikes Spiders for all four wheels stashed in the trunk.

If chains could fit, I'd use them instead, but the convenience factor of the Spiders is undeniable.

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Living on a hill which regularly snows/ices up - studded tires + 4WD rule!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Hillsboro. Regular tires are just fine. I've never driven on snow tires in Ohio, Indiana, or Virginia.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just drive on I-5 going south of 217 in the middle lane and  yo will see what studded tires do to our roads.  I think it is stupid to drive with studs on your vehicle for several months when they are really only needed for a a few days at best during the winter months.

I use chains when needed.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Indiana most of my life and winters are quite a bit harsher there.  Never needed studded tires or chains.

I drive over an 1100 foot hill every day on my way to work and I've never needed studded tires, chains, or even 4WD.   In fact, I ride my motorcycle to work about 11 months a year.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just drive on I-5 going south of 217 in the middle lane and  yo will see what studded tires do to our roads.  I think it is stupid to drive with studs on your vehicle for several months when they are really only needed for a a few days at best during the winter months.

I use chains when needed.

I was actually more interested in the "GREEN DIAMOND" tires, they can be run all year and don't fuck up roads, buy hand like a stud on ice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard of Green Diamond, but I undrestand they have a "run-in" period, so you can't just walk to Les Schwab and have them set you up "good to go" from day one.

Bridgestone Blizzaks seem to have the best on-ice performance from what my friend (A Swedish Saab/Volvo Factory mechanic) tells me, but I've heard Nokian mentioned a few times too.

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've heard of Green Diamond, but I undrestand they have a "run-in" period, so you can't just walk to Les Schwab and have them set you up "good to go" from day one.

Bridgestone Blizzaks seem to have the best on-ice performance from what my friend (A Swedish Saab/Volvo Factory mechanic) tells me, but I've heard Nokian mentioned a few times too.

Cheers

Interesting. My understanding was that Green Diamonds are retreads only and I only knew one place that sells them.www.high-tec-retreading.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top