Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 2:16:50 PM EDT
Am I the only person who thinks there is a problem when you are required to pay a deposit but only certain centers will refund for certain brand's containers? I went to go get my money back today and was told that certain brands had to be returned to certain stores.

This is the type of thing that just gets under my skin.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I AGREE, I think Its BS,

__But it helps the homeless people eat (booze it up). I just give the non-returnables to them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I protest by not recycling.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Seconded.

I use my Red Recycle bins as yard buckets.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seconded.

I use them as saw horses, and to paint moldings.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]

When I lived in Germany I bought a trash basket for each type of recycle and put them in the appropriate containers at the curb, all presorted. In Oregon they make it too hard for me so it all goes into the same bag. In Germany they even had a trash slot at the curb for used batteries. Uber cool.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seconded.

I use them as saw horses, and to paint moldings.

In the backyard, my kids skid down the slide in them
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I lived in Germany I bought a trash basket for each type of recycle and put them in the appropriate containers at the curb, all presorted. In Oregon they make it too hard for me so it all goes into the same bag. In Germany they even had a trash slot at the curb for used batteries. Uber cool.

I hate to say if but before I moved out of California in 1993 this was how it was.

Some say they protest by not recycling but they are just giving the money to the state...which I think is even worse. I have no problem recycling but I hate being forced to do it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife drinks all the pop so I claim the can money for gun stuff as I take them in for the deposit.

NFW am I going to let the State take my money like that.  Five garbage bags = $20.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Am I the only person who thinks there is a problem when you are required to pay a deposit but only certain centers will refund for certain brand's containers? I went to go get my money back today and was told that certain brands had to be returned to certain stores.

Talk to the manager. Call the container tax people. I think I had someone try to pull that when I first moved up here and was enough of a pain about it they gave me my money. I don't drink enough bottled stuff any more to worry about it now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talk to the manager. Call the container tax people. I think I had someone try to pull that when I first moved up here and was enough of a pain about it they gave me my money. I don't drink enough bottled stuff any more to worry about it now.

Last time I dropped my bottles and stuff off at Fred Meyer, I had a few things that wouldn't take. I went inside, talked to customer service. They opened up the machine, threw the crap in, and gave me my extra $.20
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I AGREE, I think Its BS,

__But it helps the homeless people eat (booze it up). I just give the non-returnables to them.

And if you want to return them yourself you have to wait in line for all the homeless to empty their shopping carts.  You feed each bottle one-by-one for a nickel.  You and the back of your station wagon end up smelling like camel piss all for $5.35.

Going through my neighborhood on garbage/recycle day, all those bins are filled with bottles that will be pulverized.  There must be millions of unclaimed 'deposit' money that will never be claimed.  We need to get rid of the deposit... it's really only a per bottle/can sales tax
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ended up giving the 8 cans to a homeless guy. It is bad enough that I stunk like rotten beer but I don't need $.40 bad enough to screw with customer service.

The point is having to be so inconvenienced that you give up the money...it just pisses me off.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Its dumb, but atleast you get the option of getting that .5 back.  They could always increase everything that requires a deposit by .5 cents behind the scenes, then its just the normal price and you dont have to worry about getting your nickel back.

We always fill our yellow plastic recycling tubs.  Put the returnables in there too cause the homeless people check everyones bins nightly for em.  

Costs more in gas and effort to return .5 items so I let the bums do it.

(ive been to places before when I did return that wouldnt take certain brands that were not from that store, I just toss them in the plastic bag bins near the recycling center, the 5-45 cents isnt worth the time or aggravation)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I take my bottles/cans to Rays, .05 cents adds up and I am a cheap bastard.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
make and bottle or keg your own beer then you don't have to deal with the recycling bs
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]
My garbage service is Newberg Garbage Service. They don't supply recycling bins -- only to people in the town. Same company, different rules depending on wher you live.

The killer is that when they collect the recycling bins in the town, they end up getting dumped in the same place that my trash does. The reason given is that it costs too much to process the recycled separately.

They only do it because people expect them to.

I believe this is common practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top