Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 10:19:26 AM EDT
I submitted my Washington county CHL application back in April and have been waiting to hear back.  I finally tried calling them.  It took several tries to reach them and I was told that I had failed to appear in March.  Weird.  Despite that, I was able to go today and I guess the procedure has changed.

They took my money downstairs and I went upstairs.  It looks like they've gone totally digital now.  I saw an acquaintance’s CHL and it looked like the old OR driver's license with the red background and the photograph.  

Well, now they have a digital camera.  They also had a little pad that I got to sign with a plastic stylus.  That was not the interesting part.  Everyone was very nice and friendly.  The woman, after taking my photo, then had me come over to a machine that looked like a tall and skinny photocopier.  I got to rub some husker's hand lotion into my hands, and then she had me roll my fingertips over this glass plate.  There was a computer monitor and it had an image of my fingerprints in real time.  She used a foot-operated mouse to accept each scan of my fingers.  After each individual finger was done on one hand, they scanned my four fingers together as a set.

After that, she informed me that I would get my CHL in the mail in three weeks after a background check by the state.  I mentioned that I never received my appointment letter.  I double-checked the address they had and it was correct.

So, I guess I'll wait and see what happens.  I suppose I can use my three weeks to pick a belt and holster.

I just thought I'd post since I thought that fingerprint scanner was neat (although I feel a little weird being scrutinized by 'the man').

Oh, they also had some enlarged thumbprints where someone had colored in parts of the swirls.  One looked like a heart (valentine variety, not blood-pumping) and it was colored in with red.  Another looked like a flower and it was colored in with yellow and green.  I guess it gets monotonous taking pictures and prints and filing paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]

my continuing quest for a chl

Shoot.  I thought you were looking for chi.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

my continuing quest for a chl

Shoot.  I thought you were looking for chi.

Oh, I tried Tai Chi Quan once and just felt silly.  Besides, I'd rather have 8+1 of gold dots with me than chi.

Saaay, you're not from Oregon.  Don't they have a separate forum for the boring states?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh, I tried Tai Chi Quan once and just felt silly.  Besides, I'd rather have 8+1 of gold dots with me than chi.

So would I, but guns are gear, and gear will fail.

Saaay, you're not from Oregon.  Don't they have a separate forum for the boring states?

Besides this one?    I was just surfing "Active Topics" and saw the thread.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh.  So what should I do?  All (I hope) light-hearted kidding aside, what can/should I do?

As to states, I think we can both agree that we would rather live in a boring state than say, California?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh.  So what should I do?  All (I hope) light-hearted kidding aside, what can/should I do?

That's a great question; I wish I knew the answer.  I wish someone smarter than me would find the answer for me so they can tell me!  

[sermon]
My strategy is to learn not just how to shoot but what to do when the gun fails.  (If it's ever going to fail, it will be in a firefight when you need it most. [Murphey et al])  There are lots of times at close range that it's better to discard your primary weapon and move on to something else (like your hands).  A gun is a tool, and a damned good one.  I would much rather shoot someone than have to get all tangled up with them.  When that tool is no longer useful, however, I (have trained to and hope I can) drop the weapon and continue an "aggressive defense" until any threat is eliminated.  The guy who runs the range where I shoot is a much better shot than I am, but he thinks martial arts are outdated.  I would have to disagree; a practical (butt-kicking, not competition-winning) martial art is very important if you're serious about self defense.  You don't have to learn a bunch of fancy kata; you just have to learn how to adapt and react with intention.
[/sermon]

As to states, I think we can both agree that we would rather live in a boring state than say, California?

No kidding!  I loved growing up in Ohio, and I'm really looking forward to my upcoming move to New Mexico.  I had 2 good job offers in CA, but I refuse to move there on principle.  

Edited to correct brain fart.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My strategy is to learn not just how to shoot but what to do when the gun fails.  (If it's ever going to fail, it will be in a firefight when you need it most. [Murphey et al])

Just bare hands?  Li hai!  Me, I'd probably try to conk my attacker on the head with the pistol I intend to carry.

Which martial art are you a student of?  I'm uninformed in that area.  I always thought Eskrimina (sp?) would be useful.

Wow, AZ should be a change.  OH doesn't have CCW, does it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just bare hands?  Li hai!  Me, I'd probably try to conk my attacker on the head with the pistol I intend to carry.

Me too!  The whole point of martial arts (for me) is learning how to bypass your attacker's defenses so you can smash him in the head.    Getting fancy and trying some vulcan death grip crap will get you killed fast.

Which martial art are you a student of?  I'm uninformed in that area.  I always thought Eskrimina (sp?) would be useful.

I practice Budo Taijutsu.  It's good practical stuff with a strong traditional Japanese background.  Covers pretty much every aspect of unarmed fighting you might come across and also teaches you how to integrate weapons (sticks, knives, guns) into your technique.  There are lots of other good styles out there; almost any style can be good if the instructor teaches it with an eye toward practical "conflict resolution"    I don't know much (ok, anything) about Eskrima.

Wow, AZ should be a change.  OH doesn't have CCW, does it?

No, it doesn't, and I'm as happy as a dancing banana to be moving to a state that does (or soon will).   Not to mention the beautiful scenery in northern NM. (I have no idea why I said AZ above.)
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL -- I just figured out your username.  Very clever.  Does it ever come in handy at the range?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Scenery in Mew Mexico?  I think all of the scenery has been wiped out by all of the nuke tests...only thing left is sage brush and three eared jackrabbits.

From your username I gather that you will be working at Lost Alamost NL?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the physics helps a little at the range, but I need to study ballistics more, especially for long range stuff!

Yep, I'm going to be working at Los Alamos.  Medical & research physics, not blowing anything up.    And yes, I do love the scenery there!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#11]
And zougou:  I'm sorry for totally hijacking your thread!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
dude - i told you that they were nice people in there.

so they sent you a notice and you didn't receive it so you didn't know when you appointment was?

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yep, I'm going to be working at Los Alamos.  Medical & research physics, not blowing anything up.  

Ha!  Admit it, you're just taking the job so you can cast your own depleted uranium bullets, right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dude - i told you that they were nice people in there.

so they sent you a notice and you didn't receive it so you didn't know when you appointment was?

You were right, GackMan.

Well, if I understood the woman I spoke with on the phone, I had an appointment for March.  Bear in mind, I sent my application the first week of April.  I guess they're trying to weed out people without time travelling machines?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL - yeah, they aren't that fast.

good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top