Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I posted a thank you to Larue and Vortex in their respective industy forums. Anyone who took something home, Please take a moment to email, FB, Insta, carrier pigeon, or write a postcard to the companies that provided them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Score sheet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]

A few pics that I got
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]

My top Gas Gun target and set-up.

Thanks to all of our sponsors and everyone who came out to shoot!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the shoot guys!  It was awesome...as always.

If anyone shot under MOA in the past years, or has the official scores for past years, please PM them to me.  I have started a spreadsheet to keep track of all the people that have shot under MOA, and the event records.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks so much to all that worked on organizing and hosting the event! It was fantastic! I did much better than last year and really figured out a few things.
Rule number One: don't shoot 2 rounds on your neighbor's target!

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks so much to all that worked on organizing and hosting the event! It was fantastic! I did much better than last year and really figured out a few things.
Rule number One: don't shoot 2 rounds on your neighbor's target!

View Quote

Ahh hah!! Now I can put a face with a user name!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
This was an awesome event! Thank you to the staff for putting this on!  I placed 8th with a rifle that Superjlarge built for me, but that is definitely not indicative of what the rifle is capable of.  In fact his rifles took 4 of the top 10 spots.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nice shooting.   That would put her in 12th place iirc.
View Quote

Thanks!

I will see you next year. Or soda soldier, whatever it’s called
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Fair warning for everyone shooting brakes, I’m bringing a .338 next year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats to the winner and top finishers. A huge thank you to everyone that helped to support and put on this great event. Unfortunately I don’t have all of the pictures from the day downloaded yet, but I’ll add some more later.

Pics of the targets not submitted (I left the scored ones there…as well as 3 boxes of ammo )

Maybe next year I’ll remember to check to ensure everything is tightened down to eliminate the weird flier(s) that showed up on just about every group, across different ammo!

The quiet section.

New female shooters first time with a gas gun; 6ARC

Not my best target ever, but very happy with it considering the gusty wind on the first relays.
.22lr, SK Long Range Match
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
If you turned in a target… I have them.  Lmk if you need a pic of it.  

Thanks for all the pics.  

Please go thank the sponsors.

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#17]

The unsung hero’s; the scorers. A big thank you to these gentlemen. Outside of GAhunter95 and the line RO’s, these guys are a huge asset to this event. Thank you for your years of diligent work!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I enjoyed myself. Learned a lot about what MOA means, how it is calculated, and how difficult it is to achieve.

I can now say that I will respond with skepticism when someone says they can shoot sub-MOA reliably. It is not easy to accomplish by any stretch. My hat’s off to every one who showed up to give it their best.

And now that I have a baseline, I know what improvement will look like.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/7DCudaa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9snfKK9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qolNtp5.jpg

The unsung hero's; the scorers. A big thank you to these gentlemen. Outside of GAhunter95 and the line RO's, these guys are a huge asset to this event. Thank you for your years of diligent work!!
https://i.imgur.com/rlWnPKp.jpg
View Quote
Dude....again...apologies for shooting your target I had a total brain fart. Funny thing - the batteries in my earpro failed right as you were talking to me!
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ahh hah!! Now I can put a face with a user name!
View Quote
hahahahaha BUSTED!

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dude....again...apologies for shooting your target I had a total brain fart. Funny thing - the batteries in my earpro failed right as you were talking to me!
View Quote

No worries. Contrary to some peoples belief, I don’t take this too seriously unless given a reason to. As mentioned on the line, my biggest concern was the relay ending and you collecting your target and only having 23rds on paper. Glad that you were able to add the extra rounds to finish up and submit a complete target.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
AAR notes for next year

1. save a couple lanes for noobs... probably at the end.

2. we have to move away from us during the scoring.  150 targets used over the first 4 rounds and only 2 people scoring.  yeah... that isn't sustainable.  measurers will double check the top 10 or so.  

3.  magnetic board, strips, and markers for next year.  Post them as you shoot.  I'll try to source one this year.

4. the format we used was 3 rounds, lunch, one shot, 2 rounds.  enough?

5.  why are there no dog pics posted?  lol

6. October 1, 2022 for #8 - very possible.

7. Sponsor banners... If we have them the day before, we would have time to get them up

8. Name tags... yeah, we should have thought of that ahead of time.

9.  sides that needed heating.  Another thing we should have thought of.  With some notice, we could have had the oven set up on site for that.

10. I haven't done a head count yet, but it was close to 50.

11. thoughts on the 1 attempt per rifle format we did?  Y'all just brought more rifles.  lol.  I liked the pressure of the re-shoots from previous years.  This may change for next year.  Maybe 1 reshoot after your 1st score is posted... Idk.  30 mins seemed to be a decent amount of time for a round.  thoughts?

12.  If there was room on the line, I didn't care if you shot again, but we not adding that to the competition.

13.  infrastructure.... I might add another 8' section to the right end of the backstop.  the line is going to get re-graded soon.  I'll try to slope it so your bipod is a few inches higher than your feet.  It's less fun laying on a negative grade, but at least the left to right grade is much better now.  Maybe even get some grass growing for next year.  

14. Find the sponsors on social media and thank them.  That is on my to do list for this week.  

Thanks for coming out.  Thanks for helping.  This shoot ran pretty smooth and I am looking forward to the next one.  Usually hosting a shoot is like drinking way too much, and the next few weeks you are telling yourself you are never doing that again!  lol
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All she had today…already bugging me about next year. If anyone got a shot of the score board and could let me know where she sat X of X she’d really appreciate it.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326526/44A5F0AD-24D7-47A9-82BA-7A5FB6447EEF_jpe-2174812.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326526/64218C77-3FAC-4018-9D66-64D2F7142942_jpe-2174813.JPG
View Quote

We are excited to announce that we have a certificate for 2.3 that will get her well on her way to kicking out butts in the coming years. I only ask that she remember our humble crew when she picks up sponsors on the PRS tour....
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We are excited to announce that we have a certificate for 2.3 that will get her well on her way to kicking out butts in the coming years. I only ask that she remember our humble crew when she picks up sponsors on the PRS tour....
View Quote

She is pretty dang excited.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
AAR notes for next year

2. we have to move away from us during the scoring.  150 targets used over the first 4 rounds and only 2 people scoring.  yeah... that isn't sustainable.  measurers will double check the top 10 or so.  
3.  magnetic board, strips, and markers for next year.  Post them as you shoot.  I'll try to source one this year.
12.  If there was room on the line, I didn't care if you shot again, but we not adding that to the competition.

14. Find the sponsors on social media and thank them.  That is on my to do list for this week.  

Thanks for coming out.  Thanks for helping.  This shoot ran pretty smooth and I am looking forward to the next one.  Usually hosting a shoot is like drinking way too much, and the next few weeks you are telling yourself you are never doing that again!  lol
View Quote

A big thank you once again to all who helped make this happen!  This is my third consecutive year, and just like the last two rounds I loved it!  I was a little disappointed that I didn't break the 1MOA barrier, but I did improve a tiny bit and am looking forward to next year.

My first year in I shot a box-stock RRA carbine with wolf gold ammo.  I think I was in the neighborhood of 3.5MOA?  I didn't even bother turning in a score card
I built a rifle for last year's event, developed a load, and wound up shooting 1.06MOA iirc.  
Same rifle and not enough practice for this year and it certainly showed.

Thoughts on the AAR:
Maybe an additional table or two away from the official table where we, the non-contenders, can do our scoring?  A couple of extra sets of calipers might be a bonus.  I'll be happy to bring a pair or two of mine if that will help.
I liked the format a bit better this year.  One round per rifle seems like a pretty good way to go.  Pressure = Performance, right?  I was also glad I could squeeze in a couple of extra non-scoring rounds.

Next year: 0.8 or bust!
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the 1 round per rifle, while a good idea and intent, is rather difficult to enforce and leads to confusion from competitors. It also makes it a bit unfair to those who can’t or don’t bring multiple rifles to try. I think if there are going to be new rules/changes, it might be a good idea to have 75+ printed copies of rules to pass out as ppl come to the range to ensure the rules are clear. Just my take on it.

30 minutes is plenty of time to get 2 targets in, but I actually think the 15 minutes from previous years was a bit better for a challenge standpoint.

Suggestions:

1) If going to the 15 minute time, it would be great to have a 5 minute prep time and then a start time. Several relays started this year without really having a prep time to ensure items were at the line ready to go, but it wasn’t a big deal because 30 minutes is a very long time to get 2 strings in.

2) Rear bags….I know some have used some that are “questionable” per the MOA rules, and while a rationale was provided, I think additional enforcement would be appreciated by some competitors. I heard on a few occasions people asking about certain bags and if they could use a V bag. I think if they were just not allowed, it would clear things up a bit. Its much like using two small rear bags, which I also saw. Using 2 small rear bags reduces the amount of input the shooter is required to use to stay on target.

I hate to rant, but we’re striving to get more new, youth and female shooters involved. Let’s try to not “game” against them or any other competitors. Most of us have done this for a few years. Let’s set an example of following the rules and fair play. There’s plenty of unfair play in day to day living; we don’t need that at a friendly event.

If you don’t have a suitable rear bag, let me know and I can make recommendations or help to supply you with one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

She is pretty dang excited.
View Quote

Don’t forget, she needs a .22 trainer as well.

The HTF is like an anti investment platform. Or, solely investing in precious metals/alloys: Steel, aluminum, lead and copper!
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don’t forget, she needs a .22 trainer as well.

The HTF is like an anti investment platform. Or, solely investing in precious metals/alloys: Steel, aluminum, lead and copper!
View Quote

Shut up already, no one wants any more of your crack being given to children and getting them hooked.  Isn’t ruining one man’s life enough? I mean little girl, think of the children!
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We actually talked about some of these things after the event. V bags are probably out altogether for next year. We did see a lot of folks using them in the rear and that's a no no. Maybe we didn't communicate that well enough.

The 5 min prep time is probably a good idea. We were short our normal RO and we had a volunteer to step in and handle it. We could have coordinated that better. We made do. We can fix that next year. We're open to suggestions on time so long as it's easy to add.

Some arrived later and missed the morning safety meeting where we explained things.  Some may have a reasonable excuse to say they didn't know. That's on us. Printed rules. Next year.
View Quote

There’s a really good atmosphere, I’d hate to see people not come because they are afraid of the rules.  Not saying rules are bad but if we have to print them out and make sure everyone has their copy.  I don’t know, mumbling out loud to my keyboard.

I’d rather someone come and break every rule (except safety) and walk away with experience, new knowledge, new friends (except for SuperJ), etc than have them be afraid to come.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Definitely a fun event and atmosphere. I think the issue was just confusion due to trying to implement more challenges to the shooters, and some shooters not fully understanding or knowing what those limitations were. It wasn’t anything crazy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
AAR notes for next year

1. save a couple lanes for noobs... probably at the end.

5.  why are there no dog pics posted?  lol

6. October 1, 2022 for #8 - very possible.

7. Sponsor banners... If we have them the day before, we would have time to get them up

8. Name tags... yeah, we should have thought of that ahead of time.

9.  sides that needed heating.  Another thing we should have thought of.  With some notice, we could have had the oven set up on site for that.

10. I haven't done a head count yet, but it was close to 50.

11. thoughts on the 1 attempt per rifle format we did?  Y'all just brought more rifles.  lol.  I liked the pressure of the re-shoots from previous years.  This may change for next year.  Maybe 1 reshoot after your 1st score is posted... Idk.  30 mins seemed to be a decent amount of time for a round.  thoughts?

13.  infrastructure.... I might add another 8' section to the right end of the backstop.  the line is going to get re-graded soon.  I'll try to slope it so your bipod is a few inches higher than your feet.  It's less fun laying on a negative grade, but at least the left to right grade is much better now.  Maybe even get some grass growing for next year.  

View Quote

My thoughts in reference to your numbers above.

1. Could allocate a few lanes for sight-in.  That way if a gun needs to be checked, someone can take a few shots during a relay, and once they have their gun where they want it they can shoot the next relay.  Could have different targets, or someone spotting for them also.

2. Agree.

3. Magnetic board would be great.

4. Plenty of relays in my opinion.

5.  Im a cat person....crucify me now....

6.  Good with me.....its in DST....an extra hour of daylight wont hurt.

7.  Did the LaRue banner come away with no bullet holes?  If so, that is a win!!

8.  Name tags...great idea!

9.  Food was good.  We need to do a sign up a few weeks before to get everyone bringing food.....or get it catered if that will take pressure off the staff and let everyone enjoy the shoot more.  I would gladly pay for lunch, and it keeps yall from staying up all night smoking pork.  

10.  50 sounds reasonable.

11.  My personal opinion is that each person should be able to shoot one time for score per division.  Do a check in table; ask if they are shooting bolt, gas, or both, and then give each person 1 official target for each division they are shooting and have them write their names on them at the table.  You can shoot as much as you want, but only the official target counts.  It would also reduce the load on the scorers as they would not score ANY unofficial target.  You can put the unofficial targets on regular paper, and official on card stock, or make them totally different.  Let the shooters decide when they want to hang their official target to shoot.  And yes, the official target needs to be shot in one relay.  Its a bit different, but I think it would be good.....more pressure when you only get one chance....better make it count.

12.  Agree, let people shoot as much as they want.......just not for score.

13.    I will try to remember to bring the battery powered string trimmer for next year....whack the weeds down in front of the line and targets before the relays.

14.  Yup, gotta go find the sponsors!  On my list also.

Thanks again for putting on a great shoot!
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I got a like from Vortex and a comment from MDT on fb.

Nothing yet from ig, but I don’t know that platform very well.

Social media… do it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Good feedback.  I’ll have to write notes so I have it for next year.  Sounds like a good turkey day activity.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#39]
My late photo submission.  Congrats to me for being the first place NON-MOA entry
At least my one shot challenge card improved this year.  At this pace, 10 more years and I'll be in it for the win!
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#40]
When you are ordering new gear, if they have a comment section, let them know you were at the GA HTF MOA Challenge shoot.  

This is a good idea for any vendor, and any event you attend that is sponsored.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When you are ordering new gear, if they have a comment section, let them know you were at the GA HTF MOA Challenge shoot.  

View Quote

Sounds good. It would be nice to carefully recruit some additional shooters next year.  I know some folks that would come and I’m sure each of us could do the same. I never push to hard because the last one I invited shoots better than I do.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm working on my neighbor. He wants to get a brake on his 7mm Mag with the 4x Leupold from the 80's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Done Vortex.

And SuperJ is still the devil.

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top