Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I missed you guys. Got called in to work to cover a shift again. Hope you all had a blast. Look forward to next time.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
No worries.  It was cold.  Just me and my boy, but we did 4.2 per All Trails in about an hour:30.  Was a lot of fun, and we’ll be doing it again soon.  I’ll post up next time he and I plan one.  I’ll also figure out how to post the All Trails map.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I had planned on coming too, but me and the missus are leaving on vacation tomorrow and I had a list of stuff she wanted me to get done, and two places closed at noon. Just too tight for me to drive back from Sawnee and get there in time.

When I get back  from flying to coronavirus... I mean vacation, I'll be in.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No worries.  It was cold.  Just me and my boy, but we did 4.2 per All Trails in about an hour:30.  Was a lot of fun, and we’ll be doing it again soon.  I’ll post up next time he and I plan one.  I’ll also figure out how to post the All Trails map.
View Quote
Inaugural NGA BB hike.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Inaugural NGA BB hike.
View Quote
Edited the pic to wipe out my boys face, and it was whacked.  I’ll repost later.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this still a thing?  I'm interested if so.  Another Columbia County guy here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is, but it does seem to be stalled at the moment.
View Quote
Agreed, momentum has slowed, but not stopped.  I coach my son's travel BB team and we're fixing to get started, so I'll be tied up most weekends until July, BUT, do have some time here and there and will be interested in joining any and all I can if anyone posts one I can make.  Something during the week might be doable in more localized areas.  I know the NOVA BB guys do Arlington/Alexandria area hikes during the week a good bit.  Maybe we have to get more local to do anything during the week, but we might be able to make that work.

b
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll stay tuned!
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this still a thing?  I'm interested if so.  Another Columbia County guy here.
The wife and I were just talking about a hike this morning. We were tied up with Cola Warrior Southeast the last 2 weekends, but that's done now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The wife and I were just talking about a hike this morning. We were tied up with Cola Warrior Southeast the last 2 weekends, but that's done now.
View Quote
I was eyeing General Coffee state park, but that may be a bit far south for folks. I’m willing to adjust as needed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
ok, I'll try. Looking at the forecast for next week, it looks fairly rainy most of the week. Wednesday and Friday look to be about the best. So I am gpimg to tentatively plan for wed at Dawson forest. There are several loops, the longest of which is about 7 miles, iirc. It's not hard terrain, be prepared for mud, and probably light rain. I'll be carrying my pack, and the mutt will be hauling hers.

If anyone really wants to make it, but prefers a different day or location, this isn't set in stone. I just want to get the ball rolling.

And if no one joins, that's fine too. I'll be out there either way.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ok, I'll try. Looking at the forecast for next week, it looks fairly rainy most of the week. Wednesday and Friday look to be about the best. So I am gpimg to tentatively plan for wed at Dawson forest. There are several loops, the longest of which is about 7 miles, iirc. It's not hard terrain, be prepared for mud, and probably light rain. I'll be carrying my pack, and the mutt will be hauling hers.

If anyone really wants to make it, but prefers a different day or location, this isn't set in stone. I just want to get the ball rolling.

And if no one joins, that's fine too. I'll be out there either way.
View Quote
We have practice on Wed, BUT if our field gets shut down, AND I decide not to bang the week and go fishing in FL, my son and I will be there.  Post the parking location and time you’ll be ther and if we can make it we’ll be there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]
There is only one parking lot, once you go through the gate, take the first right and that's it. We could start about 9 to give everyone time to get there. If you've never been to Dawson Forest, the directions are simple; 400n to Dawson Forest Road, take a left and keep going.

http://www.gfc.state.ga.us/forest-management/state-forest-management/state-managed-forests/dawson/index.cfm
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll be there tomorrow morning, rain or shine. If anyone wants to come, we can meet in the parking lot a bit before 9am. I'm heading out at 9 sharp unless I hear back from anyone that can't make it then but wants to join.

I'll start doing this once a week with different backcountry hikes, and maybe a 3-5 day before Summer.

Just let me know what days/times are good for you and I'll gladly cooperate.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll be there tomorrow morning, rain or shine. If anyone wants to come, we can meet in the parking lot a bit before 9am. I'm heading out at 9 sharp unless I hear back from anyone that can't make it then but wants to join.

I'll start doing this once a week with different backcountry hikes, and maybe a 3-5 day before Summer.

Just let me know what days/times are good for you and I'll gladly cooperate.
View Quote
Unfortunately, can't make tomorrow.  Am going to shoot for something on Saturday though.  Interestingly enough, I saw a dude in my neighborhood walking down my street yesterday with a pack on his back, two hiking poles and a dog on a leash.  Don't think I have any HTFers in my hood, but could be.....Just in case, blue pack, looked like a blue healer dog....

AzB, have fun tomorrow, be safe.  Will try to catch the next one you do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Post up your Saturday hike and I'll join you.

Headed out to Dawson Forest in a bit. Looks  like just me and wile e. coyote.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a nice hike today with a lot of varying terrain and weather. Wasn't nearly as muddy as I thought it would be. I mean, it was muddy. I just expected it to be much worse. Had the entire forest to myself. Ended up modifying the loop a bit and did about 8 miles... finished at 1. Just about 2 mph. Not great, but not bad for an old man with a full pack.

Next week I'll try something different. Maybe a Coosa backcountry loop. Maybe get some folks joining in, or maybe just me and my 4 legged battle buddy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like I'm going to stay local, as in going to try out the trail in my neighborhood.  Apparently, if I walk the entire perimeter, it's close to 3 miles or so, with several large hills and some water to cross, not to mention at one point a meth-head was camping back there, so there's opposition possibly .  I've lived here 19 years and never walked it once, so my boy and I are going to give it a go this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Have fun. It's starting to look like a good time to get out of Dodge. I may head up to the woods for a couple weeks. Just to get away from all the crazy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This pandemic thing has definitely thrown a wrench into everything but I haven’t forgotten about this and I hope you guys haven’t either.
View Quote

Not forgotten!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This pandemic thing has definitely thrown a wrench into everything but I haven’t forgotten about this and I hope you guys haven’t either.
View Quote

Not forgotten at all.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#25]
In West Cobb. Interested. Probably will need to work up to qualify, but am down to give it a go. Would prefer to stay around the Marietta/Kennesaw trails and areas.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still here, but just had surgery, so I'm out of the game for a few months.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Definitely interested in getting into this.  In Cobb/Marietta.  New here, so let me know what I need to do!
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I compiled an updated list of folks and their locations, there are still a few locations that I didn't see, so if I don't have you and you said it somewhere, my bad.

North/NE/NW GA
Binga- Cherokee
Kletzenlueffer- NE GA
HS2- Pickens
Rd451- Gwinnett (willing anywhere in GA)
Corruptor- Tucker
JSB2K10- Murray/Gilmer
Cracker-MF- West cobb
DEDX-Cherokee
Radpaddler-Cobb/Smyrna
Mattellis2-Monroe
Spartan20-West Cobb
Gamerguy12-Marietta
Edman99-Athens

Central (west, east and central)
BOPHack-Columbia
Knothead71-Columbia
Whiskerz-Cowetta
KJCA3-West GA
YTKA-Twiggs
Cntrysngr-Columbia (currently unable)
Redgoat-Augusta
ga41-Taylor
brianf-Macon/south of macon
Southerncross-Macon
Emu-Angry Emu Range, Madison GA

Alabama
Xerosasenchros

Unknowns

Azb-Sawnee?
hacker
Discolite

That's all I saw, if I missed you or anything let me know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Spartan20 and I are going to do Kennsaw Mountain on Friday, if anyone else is interested.  Probably not going to be a qualifying hike just yet though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've compiled a list of members who have responded here, and mapped our tentative locations on the map. Those that gave locations are mostly in the Northern half of the state, those of you that haven't can dm me privately so I can mark where you are if you want to keep it private. Putting it on the map makes it easier to visualize where we are so we can plan easier. Giving the county name seems the best route, as it's big enough for scheduling but not so small that we accidentally dox ourselves.

I'm assuming we are all aiming for the hike as a first social gathering/intro before getting into further qualifications or shoots. Tentative locations, based on where we are, seem to be somewhere North of Atlanta. Red Top Mountain has a decent trail system of differing lengths. Fort Yargo is my preferred training ground, but it's a bit far from some of you.

As for shooting, I've only been to Wilson Shoals WMA as I don't know any one with private land. Some of you might, I know Emu has land to shoot on and might reach out to him to see if his land is suitable for hiking as maybe a hike/shoot day. I also got approved off the waitlist for Strategic Edge range in Tennessee, if anyone is interested in a range day once I become a member. It's a bit of a drive but not too bad considering the range.

binga - cherokee
palmetto_gunplay - SE coast
Joker581 - SW GA
HS2 - Pickens County, N GA
rd451 - Gwinnett
corruptor - Tucker
KJCA3 - West GA
JSB2k10 - Murray/Gilmer County
edman99 - Athens
Cracker-MF - Cobb
radpaddler - South Cobb/ Smyrna
Marktaylor99 - Columbus
XeroSasEnchros - Fort Benning
Ytka - Twiggs County
Knothead71 - Columbia County
Matellis2 - Monroe County
DEDX - Cherokee County

BOPHack - interested, unknown
CropDusterC6 - interested, unknown
Whiskerz - interested, unknown
_hacker_ - interested, unknown
Discolite - interested, unknown
Kletzenklueffer - interested, unknown

View Quote

Edit: Nevermind, I can't read
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2020 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m in Gwinnett but have a business to run and a toddler. I’m down to help anyone out that needs it though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same; Henry
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I compiled an updated list of folks and their locations, there are still a few locations that I didn't see, so if I don't have you and you said it somewhere, my bad.

North/NE/NW GA
Binga- Cherokee
Kletzenlueffer- NE GA
HS2- Pickens
Rd451- Gwinnett (willing anywhere in GA)
Corruptor- Tucker
JSB2K10- Murray/Gilmer
Cracker-MF- West cobb
DEDX-Cherokee
Radpaddler-Cobb/Smyrna
Mattellis2-Monroe
Spartan20-West Cobb
Gamerguy12-Marietta
Edman99-Athens

Central (west, east and central)
BOPHack-Columbia
Knothead71-Columbia
Whiskerz-Cowetta
KJCA3-West GA
YTKA-Twiggs
Cntrysngr-Columbia (currently unable)
Redgoat-Augusta
ga41-Taylor
brianf-Macon/south of macon
Southerncross-Macon
Emu-Angry Emu Range, Madison GA

Alabama
Xerosasenchros

Unknowns

Azb-Sawnee?
hacker
Discolite

That's all I saw, if I missed you or anything let me know.
View Quote

@Gamerguy12

I'm in Smyrna as well. I regularly hike at the Chattahoochee national recreation areas nearby, mainly Akers Mill/Palisades and Cochran shoals.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey just found this but I would be interested in getting involved would have to get some gear though. In in Augusta Columbia County.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's been kinda on the back burner but certainly not forgotten.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's been kinda on the back burner but certainly not forgotten.
View Quote

Cobb County here..... Interested if this starts back up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#40]
@gamerguy12
Date depending, I can get between 3 and 10 people from Oconee County to go on a hike with rucks and guns.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#41]
We are starting a group, that may or may not become associated with APC, this Saturday just south of Athens. We will meet and go over firearm safety, basic principles of marksmanship, and our goals as a group. If @edman99 were able to contact me and be there, I would love to see how we could tie into APC.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We are starting a group, that may or may not become associated with APC, this Saturday just south of Athens. We will meet and go over firearm safety, basic principles of marksmanship, and our goals as a group. If @edman99 were able to contact me and be there, I would love to see how we could tie into APC.
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Still lurking ITT and still interested in Alpharetta.  I hope to join some of Y'all sooner rather than later!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top