Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2017 10:48:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it your car is the same as your house in Georgia.  No worries.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You're doubly fine if you have a Florida carry permit, but perfectly fine without it. I type this while sitting in a hotel room in New Jersey, where it is probably illegal for me to possess a nerf gun.

ETA safe travels for you and the family
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You're fine with regards to Georgia law.

However, there's a "gotcha" with Federal law.  The Gun-Free School Zones Act defines a "school zone" as being within 1,000 feet of a school.  There's plenty to know about the GFSZA, but relevant to your question, the NRA-ILA says this:

An individual who has been issued a right-to-carry license by the state, or a political subdivision of the state, in which the "school zone" is located may continue to carry in a "school zone" in compliance with existing state and local laws. Non-licensed individuals who drive through a "school zone" must have their firearms unloaded and locked in a container or firearms rack.
View Quote
Federal law doesn't consider states having reciprocity to mean you're "licensed" in another state -- it only applies in your state.  So, even if you have a license with reciprocity with Georgia, when you're in Georgia you must have them unloaded and locked in a container according to Federal law.  I've also seen analysis that says if they're unloaded with the ammunition separated (and both not in the same compartment as any occupant), they do not have to be locked (but I ain't a lawyer).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

However, there's a "gotcha" with Federal law.  The Gun-Free School Zones Act defines a "school zone" as being within 1,000 feet of a school.  There's plenty to know about the GFSZA, but relevant to your question, the NRA-ILA says this:

Federal law doesn't consider states having reciprocity to mean you're "licensed" in another state -- it only applies in your state.  So, even if you have a license with reciprocity with Georgia, when you're in Georgia you must have them unloaded and locked in a container according to Federal law.  I've also seen analysis that says if they're unloaded with the ammunition separated (and both not in the same compartment as any occupant), they do not have to be locked (but I ain't a lawyer).

Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

An individual who has been issued a right-to-carry license by the state, or a political subdivision of the state, in which the "school zone" is located may continue to carry in a "school zone" in compliance with existing state and local laws. Non-licensed individuals who drive through a "school zone" must have their firearms unloaded and locked in a container or firearms rack.

Good luck!
I wouldn't worry about this, I doubt you'll find FBI agents pulling people over in school zones to look for guns, and this particular law has been thrown out by the US Supreme Court once already, all Congress did was throw in some verbiage claiming that schools are important to interstate commerce and passed the same law again, and it was all prior to _Heller_ and _McDonald_.

Georgia is more gun-friendly than Florida, open carry is legal with a carry permit/weapons license, there are relatively few places legally off-limits to carry (courthouses, government buildings with security screening, churches, jails, mental hospitals, and secure areas of airports, etc), signs have no particular legal weight, etc...
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wouldn't worry about this, I doubt you'll find FBI agents pulling people over in school zones to look for guns...
View Quote
I agree it's not something to be worried about and that there aren't going to be FBI agents trolling for victims, but he did ask what the law was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top