Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2017 4:29:34 PM EDT
So I was finally home to answer the phone for a charity that calls multiple times per week.  Caller ID shows they called last night at 9pm while I was at the church working and numerous times before that.  Caller ID shows "Educational Ser" with number (404) 260-0195.

The lady on the phone said they were "American Homeless Veterans" at http://americanhomelessveterans.org, and my money would go to help get vets off the street.  I did a quick CharityNavigator search and found they were unrated.  We donate to DAV regularly, but I decided to help them out anyway.  When they charged my Amex, it showed "CIRCLE OF FRIENDS FOR AM".  That charity is in fact rated on CharityWatch, and it gets an "F".  They raise like 2 million dollars a year, and almost every bit goes to the fundraisers (1.5 mil out of 1.7).  The founder gets $190,000 salary.  So there's the rest of your money - gets split between the founder and the paid telemarketers.

So when you see that number on your caller ID and get directed to that website with a fake name when you ask for more info, be aware that's not who's getting the money.  It's the F-rated charity of a different name.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the warning!  Quite underhanded!

Have you considered disputing the charge based on their misrepresentation of who they are?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had told her to call back instead of agreeing to donate like I did, I could have done some more research and would have seen the identical founder name and site content between the Vets Vision site and their new one.  So I chalk it up to my own stupidity for agreeing to donate.  But it won't happen again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Quoted:[/b

Have you considered disputing the charge based on their misrepresentation of who they are?
View Quote
^^^^

This!

Thanks for the warning!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top