Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2016 5:55:08 PM EDT
... to convert into a boiler for home-brewing. Kind like in pic below, I think these are 15 gal barrel, or half-barrel (8 gal I think?) might work. I searched CL, but there ain't any on there. Wondering where I might get one - other than prowling around the back side of bars LOL. (I've plenty of good crap to trade btw)

This kind:
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Most kegs carry a pretty good deposit for everyone who touches them, so getting a cheap one isn't easy. Craigslist is your best bet but they go quick.

Eta I have seen them at scrap yards before too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up buying a bayou classic kettle and I am certain I am happier with it than I would be a keg. It's lighter, has a lid, and is marked for volume.

The deposit on kegs is $25 or so. Many people just get one and don't return it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck OP, I got mine from a local homebrew supply but I hear where guys will buy a keg from a pkg store and eat the deposit. Occasionally you can score them on eBay with free shipping but be aware those fuckers are stout to cut. An angle grinder will work but for a cleaner job a plasma cutter is best. Price out the keggles already converted (ball valve/sight glass/etc) because when I was looking it was close.

By the way, you're talking about 25 gallons so double batches are a piece of cake. Oh and they make bitchin' Lauter tuns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you located?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Deposit at my local package store is $50.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you located?
View Quote

SW Forsyth county between Alpharetta and Cumming.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are you located?

Damn, I'm 225 miles away as the crow flies. Would cost more than it's worth in time and fuel to come pick it up. Oh well . . .

ETA: If you can figure out a way to get it, it's yours. I'm in Waycross.
It's had the valve and pickup tube removed (the right way, retaining clip removed, no cutting), otherwise intact. No holes and has never been cut on.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Here you go, already cut and with a port, for $100 and it's a LEGAL one.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Used-155-Keggle-with-Coupling_p_4840.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, there are tons of ready-made out there, but I wanted to cut and weld my own. I am also learning to weld and need the practice.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are you located?

Jax's deposit is $50.....Just sayin'

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I may or may not have one depending on what you have to trade.  If your coming to the HTF BBQ or the spring shoot; you can get it them. If you need it sooner, I'm in Augusta. I was gonna use it as a fuel cell on my rail buggy but I traded some welding for a much cooler 70's vintage Schlitz keg.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If you don't have any luck I know a guy in the stainless fabrication biz . He can make you whatever you want
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I may or may not have one depending on what you have to trade.  If your coming to the HTF BBQ or the spring shoot; you can get it them. If you need it sooner, I'm in Augusta. I was gonna use it as a fuel cell on my rail buggy but I traded some welding for a much cooler 70's vintage Schlitz keg.

View Quote

Wellllll, then there. PM on the way. More incentive to go to the HTF BBQ.

HTF forum comes thru again...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top