Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2010 12:01:22 PM EDT
I have been looking for a good smoker and I could not pass on this one when it was offered to me today.

You can see the fire box if look at one of the pics close and I really like the burners on the front of the trailer.

TD

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:09:08 PM EDT
If the vent and the firebox are on the same side of the smoker, I don't think you'll like it....easy enough to fix though. I wish mine was that big
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:15:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By newby:
If the vent and the firebox are on the same side of the smoker, I don't think you'll like it....easy enough to fix though. I wish mine was that big

+1, i have never understood that manner of construction. unless there is an unseen baffle, the smoke is just going to go from the box to the exhaust.

how much did you give for it? i have been watching a bubba grill on CL for a while...but i think he still wants too much @ $600.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:22:58 PM EDT

all depends on how the smoker is set up, If there's a steel plate across the bottom forcing the smoke to travel across the bottom and then up and across the meat and out the exhaust, It will cook awesome and won't leave a bad hotspot right at the opening of the firebox, this is how I built my last one, just have to make sure it's warmed up good before cooking.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 12:41:51 PM EDT by treedawg]
Originally Posted By bgcoop8784:

all depends on how the smoker is set up, If there's a steel plate across the bottom forcing the smoke to travel across the bottom and then up and across the meat and out the exhaust, It will cook awesome and won't leave a bad hotspot right at the opening of the firebox, this is how I built my last one, just have to make sure it's warmed up good before cooking.

That's exactly how it's set up.

It has a baffle that runs the entire length of the underside so the heat and the smoke has to travel from one end to the other and and back before it escapes through the vent.

It does have one problem that will need to be corrected. There is not a drain cock on the bottom of the unit to drain the grease which can be necessary if you cooking 40-50 hams or Boston butts. I do that as a fund raiser for my Mason Lodge several times each year.

You would be amazed at the grease and nastiness that accumulates in the bottom of a cooker.

TD
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 12:42:01 PM EDT by bgcoop8784]
Originally Posted By treedawg:

It has a baffle that runs the entire length of the underside so the heat and the smoke has to travel from one end to the other and and back before it escapes.

TD

Should be a great smoker, and seemed like mine like that stayed warmer if you had to open the lid for anything, like the baffle held the heat in better and warmed back up quicker. wish I would have never sold it, gotta build another one soon.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:43:54 PM EDT
I have been looking for one for several years but I have been waiting for the right smoker at the right price and this one was it

I have a smaller unit that it already sold to a friend.

TD
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:47:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mattellis2:

+1, i have never understood that manner of construction. unless there is an unseen baffle, the smoke is just going to go from the box to the exhaust.

how much did you give for it? i have been watching a bubba grill on CL for a while...but i think he still wants too much @ $600.

The bubba grill is fantastic for home grilling but $600 seems way too high. That's about the price for a new one.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:53:57 AM EDT
Thats a nice smoker. What kind of wood are you going to use?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:55:09 AM EDT
How much did that set you back tree?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:36:15 AM EDT

It has a baffle that runs the entire length of the underside so the heat and the smoke has to travel from one end to the other and and back before it escapes through the vent.

It does have one problem that will need to be corrected. There is not a drain cock on the bottom of the unit to drain the grease which can be necessary if you cooking 40-50 hams or Boston butts. I do that as a fund raiser for my Mason Lodge several times each year.

You would be amazed at the grease and nastiness that accumulates in the bottom of a cooker.

TD

It probably looks something like mine when it is running...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53969489@N03/4993469648/

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:35:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NOVS:

I paid $1500.00 cash for it. It was delivered to the shop and parked out front all day. I had several people stop in to look at it and I even had an offer of $2500.00 which I politely declined.

The person I purchased it from was a friend of a friend and he supplied the original sales receipt where he purchased it for $3800.00 three years ago.

I'm not that picky about wood so long as it's hardwood.

TD
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:40:01 AM EDT
That sure would look good in my yard!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:34:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 2:34:35 PM EDT by Emu]
Originally Posted By NOVS:

I paid $1500.00 cash for it. It was delivered to the shop and parked out front all day. I had several people stop in to look at it and I even had an offer of $2500.00 which I politely declined.

The person I purchased it from was a friend of a friend and he supplied the original sales receipt where he purchased it for $3800.00 three years ago.

I'm not that picky about wood so long as it's hardwood.

TD

I've got a buddy who is running a smoked BBQ joint here in Madison and he swears by cherry and pecan (in that order). He will fall back on hickory in a pinch. And absolutely swears AT any kind of oak. (But will obviously use it if his only other choice is pine!) According to him the fruit woods are the best, followed by the nut woods.

YMMV!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:54:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 6:02:36 PM EDT by treedawg]
Originally Posted By earlwhytt:

TD

It probably looks something like mine when it is running...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53969489@N03/4993469648/

You've got that puppy rolling. It looks like an Oklahoma Joe smoker like the one I have. Mine is VERY well made but it's extremely difficult to regulate the heat b/c the fire box is so small.

I'm going to offer up my OK Joe smoker for sale as soon as I can figure out who I loaned it to.\

TD
Top Top