Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:59:16 AM EDT
Well turns out that I have to make a local municipal court appearance to defend myself. During the arraignment, I notified the solicitor that I would not be able to appear on the day that she initially wants me to show. I went down to the clerks office today to only be told that they don't reschedule bench trials. What's my next step?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
How much time do you  have before your court date?  Your next step is to file an extension request with the judge, but i dont know the particular procedure for the court where you will be.  Seems like a phone call to the solicitor may clear things up as he/she can reschedule with much less hassle than you can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Court is September 29th at 1300 hrs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#3]
contact dking he is the expert .
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
contact dking he is the expert .

If you dont get any love from the Solicitor, then getting an opinion from a practicing defense attorney is good advice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well turns out that I have to make a local municipal court appearance to defend myself. During the arraignment, I notified the solicitor that I would not be able to appear on the day that she initially wants me to show. I went down to the clerks office today to only be told that they don't reschedule bench trials. What's my next step?

continuance? why bench trial and no jury trial?

so what happened!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Bench trials are very dangerous tatical moves, and it is almost never a good idea.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#7]
so,,, you recommend a jury trial? how would he go about this?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

so,,, you recommend a jury trial? how would he go about this?

If you go to arraignment and say absolutely nothing, you get a jury trial. You have to affirmatively waive your right to a jury trial by doing something. Because of the way Georgia statutes are written, you face jail time for just about every offense and have an absolute right to a jury trial if that is the case. Be careful though, Georgia requires all motions to be filed at arraignment.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I was ticketed twice in front of my own house for the left side tires being against the curb instead of the right.  I can't appear on the original date, so I asked for a continuance.  I was told that the city municipal court does not honor continuances.  My future FIL is a retired attorney, but his expertise is in bankruptcy.  He called up to the County Magistrate office, and was told at the county level all continuances are approved on a one time basis, but the local yokels run their courts differently and always have.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah... Bench trial it is then...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was ticketed twice in front of my own house for the left side tires being against the curb instead of the right.  I can't appear on the original date, so I asked for a continuance.  I was told that the city municipal court does not honor continuances.  My future FIL is a retired attorney, but his expertise is in bankruptcy.  He called up to the County Magistrate office, and was told at the county level all continuances are approved on a one time basis, but the local yokels run their courts differently and always have.

Robert thats aweful their gonna hang ya bud.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#12]
WTF

Quoted:
I was ticketed twice in front of my own house for the left side tires being against the curb instead of the right.  .

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WTF

Quoted:
I was ticketed twice in front of my own house for the left side tires being against the curb instead of the right.  .

Yeah, COA gave me one of those in Midtown in the 90s.  All vehicles parked on the side of the road have to face the direction of traffic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:08:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF

Quoted:

Yeah, COA gave me one of those in Midtown in the 90s.  All vehicles parked on the side of the road have to face the direction of traffic.

Ticket - Yes
Trial - WTF????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top