Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:35 PM EDT
Long story short .... I wont a GLOCK from GSSF and am planning to head to Ed's on Saturday morning to pick it up. The wife said she would tag along if there was anything to do. It will be the two of us and our 6yo daughter. Honestly, I can't think of anything and GOOGLE wasn't my friend. Of course, outlet shopping would be ideal for her but some sort of museum, historic site, etc. would probably do.

I'm thinking I will make a Smoky and the Bandit run real quick like .... alone. I can prob be back in time to do the family thing the rest of the day.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:10:05 PM EDT
Assuming hwy 138 after Monroe, Panola Mountain State Park , I think it's called , is not too far off your path. Light weight stuff , nature walk, etc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:49:58 PM EDT
Leave Athens and head towards Monroe and get off at Hwy 11 then take a left. Follow to Social Circle, and stop and eat lunch at the Blue Willow Inn, or at Debbies Cherokee Grill downtown. Then continue along Hwy 11 through Newton County, just outside of Newton County turn into Charlie Eliot and go to the range and shoot a few magazines worth.

When you leave Charlie Eliot take a left back onto Hwy 11. Follow for several miles and take a right onto Jackson Lake Rd, follow until it dead ends on to Hwy 16 and take a right, then follow Hwy 16 to I-75. Head north on 75 and the Tanger Outlet Mall will be just 1 or 2 exits up I-75. When you get done there, continue up 75 to I-675 and get off. Then take the first exit off 675 which is Hwy 138. take and right and Ed's in down about 2 or 3 miles maybe.

After buying Glock(s), Retrace back to Charlie Elliot and break in new Glock. After proper break in of GLock, head to Loganville and at the intersection of Hwy 78 and 81, there is a new Kroger with a place called Rivals Hot Dogs. If you are feeling like a manly man, try the Hell Hound Challenge. If not, a couple of chilli dogs and fries will do as well. No beans in the chili either.

Then stop by Clydes and pick me up a short barreled 870 for planning such a nice day for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:42:37 PM EDT
Have you driven through Madison before? It's only slightly out of your way, straight down 441 from Athens right before you hit I-20.

Madison is always a pretty town to drive thru to look at all the old hysterical houses and downtown business district. (And yes I spelled that correctly, I have had to deal the the City of Madison Hysterical Committee in reference to a house I used to own located in the Hysterical District here in downtown Madison. That is the only way I can make myself spell it.)

If you need to satisfy the wifey, there are LOTS of antique and boutique shops in Downtown Madison, and if she'll let you out of her sight, you can hang out in a pawnshop and talk AR-15s with me while she walks thru the surrounding ladie's stores.

The Blue Willow in Social Circle is a good suggestion too. It is on your way to Stockbridge after leaving Madison.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:27:42 AM EDT
+1 on Blue Willow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:33:48 AM EDT
Good suggestions. We have eaten at the Blue Willow several times but she might be interested again. She might just be interested in walking around in Social Circle. Do they have a downtown district like Madison?

Madison ... we love Madison and do get down there antiquing a couple of times per year ... but a great suggestion. It might be time again. My good friend lives in Madison and keeps out dog when we go out of town. He (the dog) loves it down there too.

We probably won't do the WMA but the State Park is a good idea. Tanger will probably be a winner. Any idea what exit number or town it is in so I can GOOGLE?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:42:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By VolGrad:
Good suggestions. We have eaten at the Blue Willow several times but she might be interested again. She might just be interested in walking around in Social Circle. Do they have a downtown district like Madison?

Madison ... we love Madison and do get down there antiquing a couple of times per year ... but a great suggestion. It might be time again. My good friend lives in Madison and keeps out dog when we go out of town. He (the dog) loves it down there too.

We probably won't do the WMA but the State Park is a good idea. Tanger will probably be a winner. Any idea what exit number or town it is in so I can GOOGLE?

Tanger is in Locust Grove.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:27:39 AM EDT
I grew up in Stockbridge and can't think of shit to do down there.... sad, I know.

The Tanger Outlet and Panola Mountain suggestions are pretty spot on though.

Congrats on the free Glock!

Ross
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:31:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 4:35:01 AM EDT by HK_Shooter_03]

I'm thinking I will make a Smoky and the Bandit run real quick like

The only problem is that the GSP is actually pretty good at catching speeders in real life.

Originally Posted By GingerKid:
I grew up in Stockbridge and can't think of shit to do down there.... sad, I know.

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:06:33 AM EDT
Volgrad, I would go by Cylde's as you leave Athens & pickup Medic's 870 cause his suggestion is the winner here.

Just as a side note if you do the Rival's hot dog challenge, they will take stills & videos of your effort. Please post your results. I've been there twice while a young 20 something tried & won and another time while a couple of HS boys tried. One won the other failed miserably.

7mm
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:35:08 AM EDT
No thanks on the hot dog challenge. I don't need that kind of sick.

WRT the shotgun ... I am actually waiting for a stamp right now to transfer back a 590A1 AOW to them. I bought it on impulse and now regret it. O well, live and learn. I could have SBS'd it and it would have been cool but didn't really want to sink any more $ in it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:56:32 AM EDT
Tanger is exit 212.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 7:35:52 AM EDT by foreman2000]
If you drop by tanger in locust grove you can come by and see me lol... I thought ED's droped the gssf program ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:35:59 AM EDT
Nope ... there's still in.

PM me where you work at the Tanger outlet ... and the guy in the pawn shop in Madison ... which one? You don't have to answer in the open forum. If I hit either of these places I'll stop in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:13:17 AM EDT

Social Circle has a few antique shops, but not really enough to plan a day around. Bring a sack lunch if you go to Tanger...that place is huge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:02:43 AM EDT

PM me where you work at the Tanger outlet ... and the guy in the pawn shop in Madison ... which one? You don't have to answer in the open forum. If I hit either of these places I'll stop in.

well that is good a glock will be my second buy looking at the taurus tcp....sorry for the misinformation i live in locust grove.

hey guy you might consult a map first so you can give yourself enough time to get to ed's. some of those places are a long way away from athens, ed's and each other honestly there really isn't much to see or do between athens and skankbridge but i do suggest you go to ed's first . but if you can time it right and fit it in the blue willow is a great place.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:07:20 AM EDT
I agree this will be a meandering route if we hit some of the places suggested. I honestly think the wife will bail by Saturday. She'll prob just tell me to go by myself and not dick around all day doing it.

I just wanted to know what my options might be when the topic comes up again ... especially since I plan to hit the range Sunday afternoon. I need to be in good graces.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 12:56:48 PM EDT by robpiat]
If you go to SPD instead, they won't take out the third mag on the blue label gun if thats what you are getting.

ETA: Are you sure Clyde armory can't handle it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:27:00 PM EDT
Clyde Armory is no longer a GLOCK dealer ... as in no GLOCKs except what old stock they have and any used ones they've taken in.

I bought a Gen4 G19 on the GSSF program from Ed's a couple of months ago and they didn't pull the 3rd mag out. We'll see if I'm that lucky again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:04:20 PM EDT

The shop is called "Steve's Place." I'm at 165 W Washington St. (which is aka: hwy 83) a block and a half north of the square on the right hand side as you head north. If you get to the new park in downtown Madison you just went a half block too far. I'm here from ~10:30ish~ til 6:00, 6 days/week.

It's a small hole in the wall sorta spot, certainly not the kinda place you'd drive across the state to check out. But if the wife is gonna spend the day hangin' out in all the antique & boutique shops you'll find this dingy little store is pretty near to heaven, compared to them!!!!!

The best part is, she can spend 8 hours going thru a dozen or more ladies' stores and she'll never be more than 2 blocks from my shop, so maybe she won't feel quite so much like you abandoned her....

A LOT of husbands treat this place like an oasis in the Sahara!

Looking forward to meeting you one day!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:43:02 PM EDT
If you do get to Steve's and since we're talking Glock, insist on viewing his personal retired G S P GL 22 with the handcuff key slide lock.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:52:14 PM EDT
Awwwww, if yer gonna make me show you that one you gotta let me know in advance..... I finally managed to take that one to the house, but with proper notice, I'm always game for a little show and tell!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:46:54 PM EDT
Clyde Armory is no longer a GLOCK dealer ... as in no GLOCKs except what old stock they have and any used ones they've taken in.

I bought a Gen4 G19 on the GSSF program from Ed's a couple of months ago and they didn't pull the 3rd mag out. We'll see if I'm that lucky again.

How can a LE dealer not sell glocks? Seems like a weird situation
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:20:41 PM EDT
Thinking I heard somewhere that they were giving LE discounts to pretty near anyone who had two legs........ I heard that Glock was not in favor of that.

Not fact, just a rumor I heard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:30:08 PM EDT
I made a similar trip two weeks ago down to Ed's to cash in my GSSF prize. Went with the G21SF. Came with 3 mags and I added night sights. Anyway, I took the interstate (285/675) down, but then decided to roll up through Monroe and drop by Clydes Armory over in Athens on the way back to the house..
Not a bad roadtrip.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:23:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By robpiat:

How can a LE dealer not sell glocks? Seems like a weird situation

Clyde Armory is no longer a LE dealer for GLOCK. They are LE for S&W now though. There's your first hint.

Their break-up with GLOCK didn't have anything to do with discounts for the masses. I think that's why SIG broke up with them from their LE program a couple of years ago though. I used to buy SIGs from them all day long for the LE price ... with 3 mags and NS to boot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:20:01 PM EDT
So what did ya end up doing Vol?

I didn't see you in Madison, so I'm guessing you flew solo??

Maybe next time......
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:19:14 AM EDT
Thanks for asking. I meant to go back and update this post but ... well, I forgot.

I took the wife and daughter. Can you believe neither had ever been inside a pawn shop? Ed's isn't exactly representative of some of the places I've been in before but it was still an eye opener for the wife to see what people will put up for $.

After leaving Ed's (around 10:45am) we headed over to Olde Town Conyers. Would you believe we randomly hit their "Taste of Conyers" event? It was fantastic. They had the streets blocked off, live music, massage therapists doing "intro" massages, and approx 20 local restaurants represented. We sampled some really great food and had a great time walking around for a couple of hours before heading back to Athens.

Most importantly I brought home my new favorite GLOCK ... and OD G34. I immediately put a minus connector in it (it had the std one) and a set of Ameriglo sights (red fiber optic front, plain black rear). I shot it on Sunday and am in love. Not bad considering it cost me exactly $114 OTD.
Top Top