Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/2/2010 9:26:30 PM EDT
Any email wizards in here? I am able to receive my email but I cannot send or reply to anything going out. I'm using port 25 going out. tried to configure it a bazillion ways.

The email I am using is Open WebMail. I don't want to send from another email because i want my return email to show up properly.

Can anyone help me out. My Blackberry received and sent fine. I just can't seem to get my new Droid X to work out right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:39:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 00bullitt:
Any email wizards in here? I am able to receive my email but I cannot send or reply to anything going out. I'm using port 25 going out. tried to configure it a bazillion ways.

The email I am using is Open WebMail. I don't want to send from another email because i want my return email to show up properly.

Can anyone help me out. My Blackberry received and sent fine. I just can't seem to get my new Droid X to work out right.

M4Stag is your best bet. I'd appreciate the advice too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:47:10 AM EDT
It depends on the provider but if you can get to pop/smtp/imap go that route. If you would like to IM me the domain name I can take a quick look for the info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:12:34 AM EDT

Which program on the phone are you using? "Email"?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:50:08 AM EDT
I think he is doing it directly in the browser
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:59:05 AM EDT
I am setting up a secondary email account on the phone. I can access and send through the browser fine. Its just not convenient. If I can't figure this out, I am going to revert back to my BB. I have to be able to send and receive email for my work account.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:27:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 7:27:48 AM EDT by Hippiewithguns]
I am setting up a secondary email account on the phone. I can access and send through the browser fine. Its just not convenient. If I can't figure this out, I am going to revert back to my BB. I have to be able to send and receive email for my work account.

I should be on the south side of things later today. Are you?

Edit: Actually, I will be tomorrow as well if you would like to meet up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:33:00 AM EDT
I recommend going to the Market and downloading K-9 mail. It is free, and it's a better mail program than the default email program on the Droid.

Also it sounds like you are using POP so just doublecheck that the outgoing port is 25 which it most likely is. Then doublecheck your username. A lot of times it is your email address and people forget to add the @....com.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:35:04 AM EDT
IM sent.

I have 4 ccounts set up on mine and they all work fine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:03:10 AM EDT
i went to >settings>>>accounts>>>>>> add accounts. then i just typed in my email addy and pasword. and everything worked.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:55:14 PM EDT
I have 2 other accounts on my phone that work fine. They auto configured just by entering the email address and password.Easy as pie. This email will not auto configure.I had to set it up manually. It will receive mail but the outgoing get hung in the outbox. Apparently Verizon blocks outgoing on port 25. I've got to figure a way around that. 587 and 26 does not seem to work either.

The web based mail that my company uses is Open Webmail. It is hosted through our domain. I have tried multiple configurations to set the SMTP outgoing server up. It just won't send.

I prefer to fix this before downloading K9 if possible.

Thanks for the help so far.

Strycnine....just got your PM. It took me a while to figure out how to read it on this Droid.Thanks for the offer. I will try and connect with you after while. I'm on the road and will be finished up in a bit and be free to call.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:18:52 PM EDT
OK
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:32:34 PM EDT
What is the difference between POP and IMAP? I am using POP in the incoming. Will IMAP do something differently?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:09:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 4:10:37 PM EDT by batoncolle]
With IMAP you are accessing email on the server. POP downloads the messages to your email client and deletes the emails from the server unless you instruct it otherwise. You have to use one or the other.

Verizon also allows port 25. I use it for one of my emails accounts.

My guess is that if you let it setup automatically, then it misconfigured something. Check your SMTP server address and your user/pass on the Outgoing Configuration Settings. If those appear to be correct, then it is probably a port issue and has something to do with your work network. Try port 80 also, but if that does not work, I would then talk to your Network Administrator. They will definitely help you fix the problem.

And btw you can still download K-9 and run it simultaneously with the Droid email client.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:52:40 PM EDT
It would not configure automatically. It forced me to setup manually. It took me forever to find the settings to get it to receive incoming. I tried about 60 combinations of settings. How do I find out what the SMTP server address is? My IT guy told me but I'm not sure he is correct. I think that could be my problem. I have been using mail."the domain name".com and smtp."the domain name".com. Is there something else that should work?

Do I have the choice to set it up as IMAP or POP or just one or the other? Are settings different for the outgoing IMAP?
Which one is better?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:19:19 PM EDT
IMAP is more of a two way system where POP is one way.

Try POP.domain name.com and see if that works.

IMAP is definitely better than POP. I believe the server has to be setup to support IMAP for it to work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:31:23 PM EDT
Try accessing your work email via outlook, outlook express, eudora or thunderbird on your laptop as a POP/IMAP account. If you are still having trouble sending then you can rule out an issue with your droid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:00:52 PM EDT
Ok....tried sending mail through Outlook Xpress. It receives but won't send either. Good idea TAP!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:01:28 PM EDT
Ok....tried sending mail through Outlook Xpress. It receives but won't send either. Good idea TAP!

the desktop should give you much better errors than the phone. What error do you get?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:56:17 PM EDT
A friend of mine just got the Droid X and said he had issues with sending email.

Come to find out, when he replied to ALL, some weren't in his address book, i think, so it wouldn't send.

Check that, unless you are trying to send a message to 1 person.

Other then that, i don't know.

I'll be getting one probably sometime in the next month or so.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:49:41 PM EDT
I downloaded and tried the k9 mail client. It sends and receives just fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:51:24 PM EDT
There are some email and server contacting and delivery issues with the Android 2.1u1 OS. It has affected several devices. DroidX is slated for it's 2.2 update this week or next IIRC.
Most of the issues I had it with that weren't operator error went away with a leaked 2.2 build I flashed on the phone for testing. It also cured the problems my Droid1 had.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:07:31 PM EDT
Just make sure you have the username and password specified for the outgoing mail server. 90% of all mail servers I have for SMTP outgoing mail are mail.domainname.com Most email servers require a username and password these days to send mail. This is done to cut down on spam servers using your email server to relay mail all over the place.

You need to setup your username and password in two places. One for your incoming mail, and another for outgoing mail.

Also, some outgoing mail servers require SSL encryption and sometimes work on other ports besides 443. I know my provider uses port 86. But usually your hosting provider will tell you the settings you need.

Good luck!
Top Top