BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 6:04:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I rescued this information from the archive server:

Directions:
If driving from Atlanta, I-20 east to exit 98. Take a right and go down the road (south). You will go until you get to the town of Mansfield, GA. From the train tracks in the middle of town you will travel 2.7 miles, when you will come to a sign for Charlie Elliot WMA. Take a left, and the range is 1.4 miles down the road, on the left. The paved road will turn into a dirt road just before the range. There is a sign indicating where the range is, and you can see it from the road. The range is about 1 hour driving time from downtown Atlanta.

Notes about the range:
This is a free, open to the public range. There are two separate ranges, one for rifles and one for pistols. The pistol range is 50-yards long with a high berm at 50-yards and a shorter berm at 25-yards.

The rifle range has one high berm at 100-yards.

You must provide your own targets and target stands. Targets can only be made of paper. Other targets, such as clays (skeet), are forbidden.

Both ranges are covered and benches are provided. I'm guessing maybe 10-12 benches on each side. There is sufficient space between benches to provide shooting areas (e.g. prone position or whatever) for more shooters.

Please remember to sign the range log when you get there!

You are also expected to pickup your trash and brass. No garbage cans are provided, so bring a trash bag.

Eye and Ear protection is required!

No full-auto is allowed.

Parking lot is a short walk from the range.

This range is closed on Sundays.

IMPORTANT WARNING:
Rumor has it that the DNR rangers are getting VERY strict with their enforcement of the rules. Please be very careful. Make sure you adhere to the rules. I understand tickets START at a minimum fine of $250.00.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 05/26/04 to include this info:

Just got off the phone with Lisa at the DNR office. Their number is 770-784-3059. Per Lisa, hunter safety cards are NOT required to use the shooting ranges.

Hours of operation are Monday through Saturday from 10:00 – 19:00. These are the shooting times; you can setup before 10:00 and cleanup after 19:00.Targets must be constructed of paper, cardboard or similar material that will not ricochet. (Clay targets are not allowed.)

Targets must be positioned so bullets will hit the backstop and not the ground. In other words, don’t be shooting at low targets and you probably should NOT shoot pistols on the rifle range.

Muzzleloading firearms are allowed and can only be used with black powder or pyrodex.

Center-fire cartridges of .50 caliber and greater are prohibited. (i.e. no .50 BMGs.)

Hunter Safety cards are NOT required to use the range. Repeat you do not have to possess a hunter safety card or hunting license to use the range facilities.

You must wear hearing and eye protection.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 05/27/04 to include this info:

It has been reported rangers are issuing tickets for shooting at low targets. Make sure your target stands are at head-level. This means if you are shooting from a bench, your target needs to be ~4 feet off the ground. If you’re shooting off-hand, that target should be 5-1/2’ to 6’ tall. If that target is two feet off the ground, you damn well better be shooting in the prone position.

Above all else, remember to be courteous. Acting like a jerk will not get you anywhere. If a ranger questions anything, be nice and explain your side of things.

It probably won’t hurt to watch out for each other. It would be nice to have a witness if you are falsely accused.

----------------------------------------------------------------
The WRD (Wildlife Resources Divison) Chief Law Enforcement Officer is Ron Bailey. His telephone number is 770-918-6408.

It was suggested I post this information should any of you encounter any "JBT" type nosense from any DNR rangers at the CE (or any other) DNR ranges.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It is specific to Charles Elliot Range. No license required.

SHOOTING RANGE

Two shooting ranges (50- & 100-yard) offer recreational shooters a chance to take aim! No license or fee is required for using the range complex. However, this area is not staffed, and we strongly encourage visitors to read the posted range rules. You must bring your own eye and ear protection, targets and target stands. The target should be high enough for the round to strike the backstop berm and not the ground, thereby reducing the chance of it skipping off and escaping the range. You must remove all of your trash before leaving the range complex, including spent brass and used targets. Shooting Range hours are Monday - Saturday from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Plans for building your own target stands are available at the Visitor's Center, or you may purchase a target stand from our Gift Gallery. All range rules are strictly enforced. A minimum $250 fine is imposed for shooting outside range operating hours.

Shutdown would be 1800.  Believe me, I know.  I am still fighting that ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top