Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 7:37:28 PM EDT
I was there this afternoon and here's just a few things I saw....

1.  A few thugged out looking dudes firing their glocks side-ways
2.  Rednecks firing a tactical shotgun and sporterized SKS from the hip the entire time they were there (didn't aim a single shot)
3. A group of idiots who showed up with STUFFED ANIMALS for targets... I mean alot of them, like at least a dozen very large stuffed animals
4. Someone shooting at a very large picture of two children
5. Guys firing their handgun with one hand, while simultaneously smoking a cigarette with the other hand
6. People with a cooler full of coca-cola who would open one, take a few sips and throw it out 10 feet in front of them and then shoot it, not to mention people shooting into other lanes like it was nobody's business

and on top of that, about half way through my visit, these two idiots show up and start setting up on my bench WHILE I'M SHOOTING FROM IT...  I stopped firing and said, "are you kidding me? if there aren't any open benches you'll just have to wait."  So, with that, they leave their ammo on my bench and start firing from a position in between two benches, AT MY TARGETS!!!  

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds so trashy it's scary.

It truly was April FOOL's day. Sounds like a bunch of fools to me.

When it comes to range etiquette, ignorance is not very forgiving.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
i think the 2 rednecks are the undercovers, not only do they not aim they seem to be there all the time.  they cant watch the shooters for violations while getting a good sight picture.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, wait till someone gets hurt from idiots like that and something will change.  Unfortunate that they allow that to happen though.  I'd be pissed myself.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Where's that DNR ranger when you need him.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, give a guy a break. It was my first trip since moving down here. I was just acting like I normally did at the ranges in ATL, especially Wilson Shoals.  At least I waited for everyone to stop shooting before walking out to change my target. I mean, after all, I WAS done so why can't I just go change MY target. Why should I have to wait on everyone else?

ETA: I hope you are joking like I am.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey, give a guy a break. It was my first trip since moving down here. I was just acting like I normally did at the ranges in ATL, especially Wilson Shoals.  At least I waited for everyone to stop shooting before walking out to change my Jay49's target. I mean, after all, I WAS done so why can't I just go change MY Jay49's target? Why should I have to wait on everyone else?

I've been to the range with you, you're not joking!!  

p.s. I fixed if for ya.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Yeah, things can get a little sketchy on the weekends.  I prefer going to the the RH DNR range during the week when I can.  

I've been thinking this for a long time, but hesitate to say it because I'm not sure if I can back it up myself,  but I think it would be great if the Savannah area Arfcom crew  took that place under our wing.  Truth is my life is so busy right now, I can barely find time to go shooting once a month let alone do any cleanup there.  It seems like they need some volunteer range masters, especially on the weekends.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey, give a guy a break. It was my first trip since moving down here. I was just acting like I normally did at the ranges in ATL, especially Wilson Shoals.  At least I waited for everyone to stop shooting before walking out to change my target. I mean, after all, I WAS done so why can't I just go change MY target. Why should I have to wait on everyone else?

What area of SAV did you end up moving to?   I remember when you were asking for input?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot there probably twice to three times a month, I'm a student here at Georgia Southern, and I'd be happy to get involved in some kind of clean up...  we could spend a day just picking up some of that spent brass and cleaning up all the remnants of random redneck targets (ie. stuffed animals) and I'm sure it would look great... but why bother?  Every Saturday the same trash shows up and trashes the range...  pisses me off...  I like that range, but I don't think I'll be going back on the weekends.  I go shooting to relieve stress and enjoy my hobby, but the last few times I've visited Richmond Hill, I've left in a worse mood than I came in
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was there this afternoon and here's just a few things I saw....

1.  A few thugged out looking dudes firing their glocks side-ways
2.  Rednecks firing a tactical shotgun and sporterized SKS from the hip the entire time they were there (didn't aim a single shot)
3. A group of idiots who showed up with STUFFED ANIMALS for targets... I mean alot of them, like at least a dozen very large stuffed animals
5. Guys firing their handgun with one hand, while simultaneously smoking a cigarette with the other hand
6. People with a cooler full of coca-cola who would open one, take a few sips and throw it out 10 feet in front of them and then shoot it, not to mention people shooting into other lanes like it was nobody's business

and on top of that, about half way through my visit, these two idiots show up and start setting up on my bench WHILE I'M SHOOTING FROM IT...  I stopped firing and said, "are you kidding me? if there aren't any open benches you'll just have to wait."  So, with that, they leave their ammo on my bench and start firing from a position in between two benches, AT MY TARGETS!!!  

are you sure this isn't one of those "you might be a redneck threads"
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Elaborate Please...

Donnie and Marie Osmond?

Hanson?

Olson Twins?

God, I hope that it wasn't a nut about to go balistic on some real kids...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
none of those...  it was appx. 3' x 4', and the picture was of two boys, probably around the age of 7, one was black and one was white, they were standing next to each other smiling..... and getting shot at
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've been thinking this for a long time, but hesitate to say it because I'm not sure if I can back it up myself,  but I think it would be great if the Savannah area Arfcom crew  took that place under our wing.  Truth is my life is so busy right now, I can barely find time to go shooting once a month let alone do any cleanup there.  It seems like they need some volunteer range masters, especially on the weekends.

This sounds like a GREAT idea.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know why you guys are bitching.

That place sounds like a hoot.

Would love to be closer since it sounds like a great place place to do a little people watching.

BTW: How far is this from Savannah. I would like to visit next time I go to Mother's house.

TD
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I don't know why you guys are bitching.

That place sounds like a hoot.

Would love to be closer since it sounds like a great place place to do a little people watching.

BTW: How far is this from Savannah. I would like to visit next time I go to Mother's house.

TD

Truthfully it is a hoot.  But if your used to more civilized ranges this place could seem scary.  People tend to not say anything to one another unless it infringes on safety or shooting pleasure.  

The time it takes to get to the range really depends on which part of Savannah you start off from.

You need to get on Route 144 in Richmond Hill heading east.  

If you stay in the Southside of SAV then head out Rt 204 (abercorn st) until Rt 17 and head south on Rt 17 until you get to the junction of RT 144.  If you live downtown then it might be easier to hop on 16 west and then get on I-95 south until Exit 90 and hope on Rt.  144 east.  

Take 144 east until mile marker 21.  You'll need to take the next (immediate) left after mile marker 21 which is Kilkenny  Road.  Its easy to pass by because people pick up speed on on 144 east and its an immediate left after the mile marker.

Take Kilkenny Road for just 7/10 mile and make a left on to a little dirt road.  Its marked with a tiny brown sign that says Shooting Range.  The dirt road ends at the range.  

Let the local crew know when you're going.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this a Federal range where full auto is permitted?

I'd actually be coming from Tybee as that's where Mother lives

TD
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#17]
State DNR= No full auto or suppressors per posted rules.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

TD

Funny enough, I think the fastest way to get to the RH DNR range from Tybee is by boat.  

Its kind of a hike from Tybee as it takes about 35 minutes just to get to Savannah. It will take at least an hour to get there.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#19]
hah, you're probably right... there's a dock at the end of the road right?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TD

Funny enough, I think the fastest way to get to the RH DNR range from Tybee is by boat.  

Its kind of a hike from Tybee as it takes about 35 minutes just to get to Savannah. It will take at least an hour to get there.  

Be careful though. Sounds like a perfect place for one of those horrible boating accidents that so many people around here keep having.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually I have a fishing partner that lives in Richmond Hill.

We fish the Gulf stream  out of Typbee on a semi regular basis.

TD
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

TD

Gulfstream fishing must be nice.  I have a friend with a 20 footer and the farthest we'll go is about 10 miles off shore and hit the small reefs. I keep hoping for a grouper but all we catch is black sea bass.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
hah, you're probably right... there's a dock at the end of the road right?

Yep there is.  I forget what its called but I think its a fishing camp.  Too bad its a long haul from the river to the range. Let the local crew know when you're in town for a shoot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TD

Gulfstream fishing must be nice.  I have a friend with a 20 footer and the farthest we'll go is about 10 miles off shore and hit the small reefs. I keep hoping for a grouper but all we catch is black sea bass.  

I'd take that.  I love sea bass.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#25]
It seriously pisses me off that some people take for granted the privilege of a free shooting range.  I frequent the Richmond Hill Range whenever I get the opportunity and hate to see the way some people just trash it.  I always make an effort to pick up more than I take out there.  Otherwise the range is sure to close.

On the subject of Idiots...A co-worker of mine was out there the other weekend.  The range was heavily occupied and eventually the a cease fire was called to set up some targets.  While my buddy was down range, some moron began to open fire.  Not a laughing matter.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#26]
doesn't suprise me - glad he's OK...  I really hope the idiots who seem to frequent that range don't ruin it for the rest of us
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#27]
BTW, It's kilkenny marina. Would be a good hike to the range from there unless you can hitch a ride on the back of someone's 4wheeler.
Hope you don't have a perty mouth!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#28]
BTW, It's kilkenny marina. Would be a good hike to the range from there unless you can hitch a ride on the back of someone's 4wheeler.
Hope you don't have a perty mouth!
I went last Wed. to try out my new AR-15. There were a few guys there but no thugs.  Which is nice.  They did warn me about the weekends though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Weekday mornings are nice, most often you will have the place to yourself.  Weekends can be very crowded.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Is the dirt road small car friendly?  I only have about 3 inches of ground clearance, and don't want to rip stuff off of the bottom of my car.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#31]
that depends on how much trafic and rain has there has been since the last time it was graded.
one time i had to walkinfrom the side road as my lowered lincoln would'nt make it. the best bet is
to drive down and do a recon or only take enough that you can pack in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
that depends on how much trafic and rain has there has been since the last time it was graded.
one time i had to walkinfrom the side road as my lowered lincoln would'nt make it. the best bet is
to drive down and do a recon or only take enough that you can pack in.

Just curious, You in the .mil?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#33]
not anymore i'm a old fart now.my number 2 son is "down range"right now with 4-14 cav.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Is the dirt road small car friendly?  I only have about 3 inches of ground clearance, and don't want to rip stuff off of the bottom of my car.

If you really only have 3 inches its risky, but if its a little more than you'll be ok for the most part. I drive a SCION XB and had no problems. Its only rutty after big rains and its been dry for a while now. The road is fairly smooth too as of late.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Is this the federal range in Green County?

State DNR polices that one, and DOES write tickets for littering.  Be careful about that.  It looks like shit, and everyone throws their crap all over, but you CAN get littering tickets.  I discussed this with one of the DNR rangers when I was working at a charity clays shoot to which DNR brough a display.

If you guys are talking about the Green County range, because it's a federal range, the state DNR rules don't apply.  DNR just enforces normal ordnances on it, such as littering.  You can take any targets or blasters/suppressors you want, so long as you pick up your trash.  Unfortunately, no one cares about the "pick up your trash" part, and there are no trash cans anyways.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#36]
no, its not that one
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Is this the federal range in Green County?

Richmond Hill is in Bryan County.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top