Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 2:36:06 PM EDT
OK, I'm trying to figure out a way to satisfy the Proof of familiarity with the safe handling of firearms so I can buy an M1 from CMP.  I'm a student at Georgia Southern and don't really have the time to enroll in any competitions or attend any clinics.  I have the form that says that any LEO / Range Supervisor can sign off that they've witnessed me send more than 50 rounds down range, but the range at Richmond Hill isn't supervised...  What do I do?!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Who are you again?

I joined the FOP/CMP club in Bham to get mine. All our ARFCom shoots there qualify as CMP sanctioned shoots, simple. Now for your problem...nope, I got nuthin'.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more than some smartass answer. Welcome! btw.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If there is a gun shop close by that has a pistol range that would qualify as well.  Get the shop clerk to sign you off.  Of course buy a box of bullets from the shop.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I never paid attention to the shooting requirement.  Do you have a hunter's safety?

You could always go to a Service Rifle match one saturday and compete.  If you dont have a rifle and equipment you could probably make arrangements ahead of time to use a loaner.

ETA:  Does your school offer a marksmanship course as a PE elective?  The university I went to did.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah I've taken the shooting class here, didn't even think about that - thanks for jarring the memory!  I'll go see the instructor and get him to sign off
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys - by the way I'm Jeff from Atlanta/Statesboro
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
That is soooo cheating!

Be a man and come shoot a match with me.  You can learn the finer points of long range with the guys and girls on the GA State Service Rifle Team.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have a C&R license , that works for the marksmanship requirement also.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
not cheating at all.

the DCM/cmp was orginally chartered by the .gov to provide rifles to capable hands for national defense and assist the military with getting recruits with some basic marksmanship skills.

that is EXACTLY what we are doing. The CMP for to long has been a tool of the competition circuit. when i was looking to join local clubs to shoot a match i found very few excepting new members and even fewer that had affordable dues. Many clubs were not interested in allowing you to join unless you planned to compete on a regular basis. While this is perfectly acceptable for the private club, it is specifically against the spirit of why the CMP/dcm was orginally founded.

Competition is fun and GREAT for building skills. It is NOT for everyone. I for one was delighted to see the CMP change the shoot requirement to open the stores for non competitors. those garandas were built with tax payer funds and should be avaialbe to ALL tax payers, not just those with a desire to compete.

mike

The CMP has never been about selling rifles....their sole purpose is and always has been to build marksmanship skills through clinics and competition. They sell surplus rifles to finance this.

You don't have to be a member of ANY club to shoot a match and any club that told you that or required it of anyone would not be permited to hold an NRA or CMP sanctioned match. River Bend is probably the most expensive club in the country but anyone can shoot there without joining or paying any dues almost every Saturday and Sunday by entering a match of some kind. You are right about one thing though...competition ain't for everybody, especially sissys
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That is soooo cheating!

Be a man and come shoot a match with me.  You can learn the finer points of long range with the guys and girls on the GA State Service Rifle Team.

Buwahahahaha! PrisonBus called you a sissy! You have to shoot with her now!  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:As for the sissy comment i used to compete a good deal. got real tired of the hollier than you dumbasses that only have the skill to shoot a rested rifle with a 40lb shooting jacket and a windmeter. take away the gear and they generally fall apart on the line. seen it happen MANY times.

Today i shoot for fun.

Your competition-fu is too strong for me ...I've shot most of the big matches in the southeast US and the Nationals at Camp Perry and I've never heard of a shooting discipline that shoots rested rifles with shooting coats. What do y'all call it? Where did you find a 40 pound coat? Did you have to make it yourself?

The only "members only" matches I've ever heard of are ones put on by Uncle Sams Rifle Club like the All Army  and Inter-Service matches ....They don't charge you to join or shoot. What is the name and location of this club that has "members only" competitions?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

are you calling me a liar?

i shot highpower matches here for about a year. No i was not BIG into the circuit as aparently you are. The local guys here in birmingham at that time did NOT hold open matches. Club membership was and in several cases still IS a requirement to shoot their matches. Steel City in particular. Where did i imply this was a nationwide issue. I plainly stated That was the situation HERE.

Then again it's past obvious reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.The ONLY option locally to join the CMP at that time was a 175.00 non refundable club dues. you were placed on probation and if anyone in the club decided they didn't want you you were bounced and they kept your fee. Not exactly "public" freindly.

Your attitude is what i found pretty common among most in that community."we know it all and anyone not into competition is scum". Tell Tippie i said hi. Unless you are tippie in which case i will happily tell you to kiss my ass.

Not a liar, but seriously full of shit. You keep pontificating about stuff you obviously know nothing about. For example, no one can "join the CMP" as they don't have memberships and Steel City Shooting Assoc. matches are open to non-members. I never said or implied that you were "scum".....just full of shit and flat out wrong about everything you've commented on in this thread. If anyone who tries to staighten you out when you try to tell others bogus info is "holier than thou" I totally understand why you don't get along with competitive shooters.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, his first post is completely accurate and actually quite short, for The_Beer_Slayer.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
newby, where exactly is the_beer_slayer full of shit?  I've read his posts in this thread and do not think he is passing any erroneous information.  

1)"the DCM/cmp was orginally chartered by the .gov to provide rifles to capable hands for national defense"
From the CMP webpage "The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve the U.S. military. Over the years the emphasis of the program shifted to focus on youth development through marksmanship. "..... ain't nuttin 'bout "providing Rifles"

2)"The CMP for to long has been a tool of the competition circuit" WTF?

3)"hollier than you dumbasses that only have the skill to shoot a rested rifle with a 40lb shooting jacket and a windmeter. take away the gear and they generally fall apart on the line. seen it happen MANY times"
Highpower is fired without rests and F-class shooters and benchresters who DO use rests only wear coats if they're cold ...and a 40 pound coat would need over 30 pounds of lead in it unless it was custom made for a horse

4)" matches for the most part are private club events"
I've never heard of such a thing ...I asked him to provide an example and he specified  Steel City Shooting Assoc. which is wrong. Their matches, like all NRA or CMP sanctioned events, are open to anyone who can legally own a rifle.

5)"The ONLY option locally to join the CMP at that time was a 175.00 non refundable club dues. "
From the cmp webpage  "At this time there is no direct membership in the CMP."

I never meant this to turn into a pissin' contest between me and Beer slayer....I  tried correcting a couple of erroneous statements he made and he had a hissy-fit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I started and maintain OUR cmp club here. It is true no one "Joins" the CMP however you can not purchase from the CMP or have scores recorded on record unless you are a member of an affliated club. In other words a MEMBER. I have no problem being corrected when wrong, however i know for a fact what i went through when i was trying to get involved and frankly you are full of shit. AS for getting along with other shooters, i don't seem to be the one with the problem here. My problem is not with the competitive crowd, i know and still shoot with many of them. my problem was with the idiots that seem to have the same "Attitude" as you. Several years ago Steel city matches were not public events. I know, i shot them.

Damned if you didn't do it again! The ONLY eligibilty requirements to shoot in CMP matches AND have your scores recorded AND win medals including the Distinguished Riflemans Badge and the Presidents Hundred are that you aren't a convicted felon and have never been a member of a club or orginization that advocates the overthrow of the US government. You don't have to be a MEMBER of anything!

When was this? Was it back when you shot all those matches wearin' a 40lb coat and shot from a rest?

The CMP has a webpage dude, complete with a FAQ page and links to PDF files containin' rules and stuff!   http://www.odcmp.com/  You should check it out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I started and maintain OUR cmp club here. It is true no one "Joins" the CMP however you can not purchase from the CMP or have scores recorded on record unless you are a member of an affliated club. In other words a MEMBER. I have no problem being corrected when wrong, however i know for a fact what i went through when i was trying to get involved and frankly you are full of shit. AS for getting along with other shooters, i don't seem to be the one with the problem here. My problem is not with the competitive crowd, i know and still shoot with many of them. my problem was with the idiots that seem to have the same "Attitude" as you. Several years ago Steel city matches were not public events. I know, i shot them.

Damned if you didn't do it again! The ONLY eligibilty requirements to shoot in CMP matches AND have your scores recorded AND win medals including the Distinguished Riflemans Badge and the Presidents Hundred are that you aren't a convicted felon and have never been a member of a club or orginization that advocates the overthrow of the US government. You don't have to be a MEMBER of anything!

When was this? Was it back when you shot all those matches wearin' a 40lb coat and shot from a rest?

The CMP has a webpage dude, complete with a FAQ page and links to PDF files containin' rules and stuff!   http://www.odcmp.com/  You should check it out.

Wow.

Typical match shooter.

Full of hot air and piss, but not much of any substance.

Which is why they are SO near and dear to the hearts of the real shooters of the world.

Reading Is Fundamental.

SG
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]
wow this thread has really gotten out of hand - I'm sure everyone has had different experiences with competition shooting and competition shooters... personally I've known a few that were fine and others that seriously thought they were a "breed apart" - never really understood but whatever... can't we all just get along?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]
My own memories of things involving the DCM from the seventies is close to The_Beer_Slayers.
And newbie must not have ever encountered the "good old boy" network.

I looked into the DCM when I was a teen,and if I remember correctly,you had to shoot enough matches to become a classified shooter to be able to purchase a M1 at that time.
This was after the federal gov't stopped general open sales of 1911's,'03's,M1's, and M1 Carbines to the public.
And was well before the current regulations that make it almost easy to buy a gun from them.
So unless you are as old as I am (do the math),have some respect for your elders.
Things are a lot different now then they were when I was a teen.

ETA:
Back in "the good old days",those leather shooting coats seemed to almost weigh 40 lbs too.
When I was racing motorcyles in those days,the switch from leather riding gear to nylon had just started,and I would bet the leather pants I wore weighed at least 10 lbs (20 after I fell into a creek on a hare scrambles in Febuary!).
So that wasn't much of an exageration.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For example, no one can "join the CMP" as they don't have memberships and Steel City Shooting Assoc. matches are open to non-members. I never said or implied that you were "scum".....just full of shit and flat out wrong about everything you've commented on in this thread. If anyone who tries to staighten you out when you try to tell others bogus info is "holier than thou" I totally understand why you don't get along with competitive shooters.

thats funny as hell.

I'm not a member of ANY club and I bought a number of rifles from the CMP last year.  I showed up at the store, picked my rifles, provided a copy of my birth certificate and a copy of match results listing my name...walked out with my rifles 10 minutes later.

OH...and I did it more than once...

Wait...I did have to join some Garand assoc...for $25.00 a year, and I don't have to stay with them unless I decide to buy more rifles.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That is soooo cheating!

I've got a headache.  

And all yall's need to take a pill too.  

FYI...I believe I've beaten a couple of you boys at the FOP...without my 40 lb leather coat.  Didn't realize it has magical powers that made e into a different person when I put it on.  All I tried to do was introduce a warm body to a different style of shooting.

Hell, it's shooting.  Sight alignment and trigger control.  Do what you want to dude.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I just joined the GSSA for $15 a year to get my M1.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#29]

i shot highpower matches here for about a year. No i was not BIG into the circuit as aparently you are. The local guys here in birmingham at that time did NOT hold open matches. Club membership was and in several cases still IS a requirement to shoot their matches. Steel City in particular. Where did i imply this was a nationwide issue. I plainly stated That was the situation HERE.

Then again it's past obvious reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.The ONLY option locally to join the CMP at that time was a 175.00 non refundable club dues. you were placed on probation and if anyone in the club decided they didn't want you you were bounced and they kept your fee. Not exactly "public" freindly.

Your attitude is what i found pretty common among most in that community."we know it all and anyone not into competition is scum". Tell Tippie i said hi. Unless you are tippie in which case i will happily tell you to kiss my ass.

Not Tippie...

He does rank up there with my high opinion for you, Mona, Bookhound, byte, Bradd and the rest of the folks that I know off the GA forum.  

But Damn, that's low, Newby doesn't deserve an insult like that, comparing him to that POS.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Not Tippie...

He does rank up there with my high opinion for you, Mona, Bookhound, byte, Bradd and the rest of the folks that I know off the GA forum.

But Damn, that's low, Newby doesn't deserve an insult like that, comparing him to that POS.

That's better

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#32]
who the hell is Tippie?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
who the hell is Tippie?

Don't ask...damn, too late.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who the hell is Tippie?

Don't ask...damn, too late.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I believe POS should give you enough to go on.  

Now I'll be politically correct and say..."if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything."
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
who the hell is Tippie?

Not me
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#36]
alllllrighty then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top