Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 7:51:23 PM EDT
Want to know about the 55 grain FMJ ammo they advertise as .223 remington, they sell 500 rounds for $90, any of you put a few rounds of this through an AR? How did it work for you? Is this stuff reloads or do they handload it?

Any answers appreciated,
KJC
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot Ga. arms before in a mini 14 and my AR.  I did not have any problems in either gun.  As a matter of fact I have about 400 rounds in the closet now and wont hesitate to put it  through my AR.  All of the shooting I have done with it has been freehand so I can't comment about group size.   I do know I hit VERY close to where I was aiming.  Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:26:38 AM EDT
[#2]
good stuff. my blasting ammo of choice before i started relaoding 223
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what we are using for our Patrol Rifle class, along with a limited amount of the GA ballistic tips that we will be issued. I put around 150 rounds through my AR Thursday and the majority of it was the 55gr GA FMJ. Just like all other GA ammo I've shot (that's all I buy for practice anymore) it shoots pretty clean and is as consistent and accurate as any I've used. I will be buying a couple cans of the FMJ soon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it looked like good stuff to me I will be picking up some today at the eastmans gun show then. You can't really go wrong with the prices they have.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Get some.  I shoot it more than any other ammo.  I have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]
This is good ammo.  I've shot both the 55 grain and 62 grain loads.

You may also wish to check: www.southernammo.com/products/products.htm#rifleammunition
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Their .223 works fine in my HK, AR, and AK.

I buy their ammo when I don't have time to load my own...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You may also wish to check: www.southernammo.com/products/products.htm#rifleammunition

Too bad they don't have anything in stock.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
It's great blaster and practice ammo but not hot enough to be my go-to round IMO.  If it was all I had left however I wouldn't hsitate to use it.  I have fired about 300 rounds of the 68gr BT Hollow Point Match.  Never had a problem with it in my AR and it's zero seems to shoot reasonably close to BH 75gr OTM which is my primary SD round.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I consider it good stuff. Had 1 bad primer but I consider it a fluke.

Shoot it with confidence man.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody know any retailers for it besides American Classic Marksman????
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anybody know any retailers for it besides American Classic Marksman????

www.georgia-arms.com/

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I was sorting through the ammo and comparing it to Federal 55 grain FMJ, WWB 55 Grain FMJ, and some black hills ammo, and the GA arms ammo seems to be very inconsistent in where the actual projectile is seated some higher some lower, and on some the ribbing was not visible at all. I am sort of new to AR's and I do not want to project this as a Ga arms bashing thing because they have very good prices and I am probably just being picky but I like to do my research before shooting ammo I know nothing about. Also as I was putting the ammo back into the can I noticed a primer laying on the table with powder spilled out everywhere that kind of worried me so I wanted to know if this is cause for concern or not. Anyways I hope to be getting out to the range soon to try it out thanks for all of your answers to my post.

KJC
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Call and talk to curtis at Georgia Arms. He will be very interested in your primer problem and will take care of you right. He did me.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Call and talk to curtis at Georgia Arms. He will be very interested in your primer problem and will take care of you right. He did me.

about three years ago I bought a 50 bag of .357 wadcutters and there were at  least 10 duds in the bag and I swore I would never buy from GA arms again. But I kept reading so many positive posts that I started to buy again and haven't had a single problem.

I wish I had just called them from the get go.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I use it exclusively, both plinking and carry.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I noticed a primer laying on the table with powder spilled out everywhere

The same thing happened to me except the round in question spilled it's load inside my weapon.  Haven't bought it since.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The same thing happened to me except the round in question spilled it's load inside my weapon.  Haven't bought it since.

It was just a little too excited to be there, what with the tight fit and the friction...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was just a little too excited to be there, what with the tight fit and the friction...

......and the lack of a quality lube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top