Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 11:55:09 AM EDT
Does anyone know if SBRs are allowed at CE?

I just sent off the paperwork for my HK53 and it would be a shame if I couldn't bring it to future group shoots...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
w00t!

SBR is not NFA, is it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
HK shooter, I'm trying to get into High Power competition.

If the weather holds up, I'll see you next weekend at RBGC
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope they allow SBR's at CE since I have been shooting mine there for a little while.  Haven't seen a ranger yet so nobody has called me on it.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I think in this case it'd be best not to ask. Those guys are so anal they'd say no just because they can.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the weather holds up, I'll see you next weekend at RBGC

Uh oh...now you're in it!

What are you shooting in the 100yd reduced match?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello stimpy, I'll see you this weekend.

The high power stuff, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I learn fast from mistakes I'm gonna be making on the match day

I'm also trying to pick up an Armalite M15 for the job
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
w00t!

SBR is not NFA, is it?

A SBR is NFA...

Judging from the posts above, I'll pass...

You might be able to sneak a 14.5" SBR (With paperwork) past a ranger but, a 8" barrel would be blatantly obvious...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ga Reg 391-4-9-.02(a) states:  Any weapon prohibited by GA Code Section 16-11-122 (i.e., sawed-off shotguns, or saw-off rifles, machine guns, submachine guns, dangerous weapons, or silenced weapons as defined in that section) and and weapon firing more that once with a single trigger pull shall not be allowed on DNR firing ranges.

To look up GA Code 16-11-122 go to
HERE

Interpret this as you like.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Graziani, you coming to the pistol shoot?  Remind me it's your first time, OK? (free)

Dude, highpower can be a serious money sponge.  My advice is to borrow gear until you are sure you like it, then buy the gear you liked best.  Don't buy a shooting jacket until you are shooting over 400/500 IMHO, it will bcome a crutch and do you no good.  A non-slippery surplus jacket will suffice until then.  The sling is important, but you can use a cheap web sling just as well as a pricey leather one.  Just don't get a bbl with a soldered on muzzle device, this will prevent being able to swap the HG arrangement to a free-float if/when you get serious.  Also I would advise a standard length bbl, no shorties.

The 100yd reduced match at RBGC is run by Ben Franklin, one helluva nice guy.  Ben knows his stuff, as do many of the shooters at that match, and the lessons learned there translate into better shooting no matter the type of shooting you do.  Do try to laugh at his jokes, OK?

Edited to add:
Dude that is just stupid about the SBR restriction.  I can understand their resistance to FA *firing* at the WMAs, but if you shoot it semi who cares?  Freaking weird.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
w00t!

Does Highpower setup cost more than FAL addiction?  I'm thinking to pickup a free-float to begin with...but I'd like to see what others have and see them in action before plunging into the highpower quagmire.  I probably will not recover from this disease

Quoted:
Graziani, you coming to the pistol shoot?  Remind me it's your first time, OK? (free)

Dude, highpower can be a serious money sponge.  My advice is to borrow gear until you are sure you like it, then buy the gear you liked best.  Don't buy a shooting jacket until you are shooting over 400/500 IMHO, it will bcome a crutch and do you no good.  A non-slippery surplus jacket will suffice until then.  The sling is important, but you can use a cheap web sling just as well as a pricey leather one.  Just don't get a bbl with a soldered on muzzle device, this will prevent being able to swap the HG arrangement to a free-float if/when you get serious.  Also I would advise a standard length bbl, no shorties.

The 100yd reduced match at RBGC is run by Ben Franklin, one helluva nice guy.  Ben knows his stuff, as do many of the shooters at that match, and the lessons learned there translate into better shooting no matter the type of shooting you do.  Do try to laugh at his jokes, OK?

Edited to add:
Dude that is just stupid about the SBR restriction.  I can understand their resistance to FA *firing* at the WMAs, but if you shoot it semi who cares?  Freaking weird.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#11]
pokey169,

I read the GA code 16-11-122 which refers you to Ga code 16-11-124 for legal exceptions.  In Ga 16-11-124 is says that SBR's and SBS's ARE legal if they are registered with ATFE and you are the named legal owner.  Therefore SBR's and SBS's are OK to shoot at CE if you possess the "stamps" on them.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
w00t!

Does Highpower setup cost more than FAL addiction?  I'm thinking to pickup a free-float to begin with...but I'd like to see what others have and see them in action before plunging into the highpower quagmire.  I probably will not recover from this disease

I actually started shooting the 100yd matches when there were enough of us locals crazy enough to go shoot FALs in that match.  We even had a trophy we fought over (I still have it!).  We'd throw brass all over the AR guys and they'd laugh at our pathetic scores and silly rifles.  Once I broke 400 with the FAL I thought that was the limit, but I eventually got up to 427/500.

Then I shot an AR...oh wow.

Shooting a 30cal every now and then is good for you.

Matt $50
Rifle $500-1000+
Scope+stand $800
jacket $300

widgets that swear they make you shoot better...$$$$$

10's in awful-hand - priceless
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
pokey169,

I read the GA code 16-11-122 which refers you to Ga code 16-11-124 for legal exceptions.  In Ga 16-11-124 is says that SBR's and SBS's ARE legal if they are registered with ATFE and you are the named legal owner.  Therefore SBR's and SBS's are OK to shoot at CE if you possess the "stamps" on them.

MadDog

So SBRs are legal at CE?

(Of course I have paperwork! )

I might be able to bring the HK53 after all...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I actually started shooting the 100yd matches when there were enough of us locals crazy enough to go shoot FALs in that match.  We even had a trophy we fought over (I still have it!).  We'd throw brass all over the AR guys and they'd laugh at our pathetic scores and silly rifles.  Once I broke 400 with the FAL I thought that was the limit, but I eventually got up to 427/500.

Then I shot an AR...oh wow.

Shooting a 30cal every now and then is good for you.

Matt $50
Rifle $500-1000+
Scope+stand $800
jacket $300

widgets that swear they make you shoot better...$$$$$

10's in awful-hand - priceless

Well, it seems like I'll be showing up with a FAL for next weekend  I can crank my gas setting to really get the brass flying
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#15]

They're gonna ask if you know me if you show up with a FAL.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#16]

So SBRs are legal at CE?

(Of course I have paperwork! )

The way I see it, they would be. I am going to ask for a ruling from the Dept on how they interpret it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]

This part shall not apply to:
(1) A peace officer of any duly authorized police agency of this state or of any political subdivision thereof, or a law enforcement officer of any department or agency of the United States who is regularly employed and paid by the United States, this state, or any such political subdivision, or an employee of the Department of Corrections of this state who is authorized in writing by the commissioner of corrections to transfer or possess such firearms while in the official performance of his duties;
(2) A member of the National Guard or of the armed forces of the United States to wit: the army, navy, marine corps, air force, or coast guard who, while serving therein, possesses such firearm in the line of duty;
(3) Any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer which has been modified or changed to the extent that it is inoperative. Examples of the requisite modification include weapons with their barrel or barrels filled with lead, hand grenades filled with sand, or other nonexplosive materials; and
(4) Possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer by a person who is authorized to possess the same because he has registered the sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms Act, 68A Stat. 725 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862).

www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=16-11-124

If this is the case, I need to print it to give to the officer if I catch any flack...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll just wear the FAL group shoot T-shirt.  that way, there's no doubt about who knows whom

Quoted:
They're gonna ask if you know me if you show up with a FAL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top