Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:42:25 PM EDT
five2one and I went to the Richmond Hill range today and got in about an hour and a half of shooting. The posted range hours were 8AM-5PM so we stopped shooting at 5:00 and started cleaning up. At about 5:20, a DNR ranger pulled up and started dispensing hate and discontent.

I overheard him telling other shooters they were being cited for shooting after the closing time and improper targets. The range has a new sign that states "PAPER TARGETS ONLY" by the dumpster. These people ( 3 different groups) were using cardboard boxes and a plastic drum as targets. Aparently DNR does not want you to use anything other than a paper target on a target stand.

We had packed up and were finishing our sweep-down when the DNR ranger arrived. He never said anything to us and we left before he could change his mind.

Just wanted to warn everyone.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:14:14 AM EDT

When I previously went to the Richmond Hill range, I treated the closing time as a suggestion, but now I'll I'll do my best to packed and out of there by closing time. We stopped shooting by 5 and had our guns and stuff packed in the cars by the time Mr. Ranger showed up. That was too closed for comfort. If I have time I'll call the DNR and ask how much that ticket is because I'm curious.

Needless to say, shooting stuff was fun. I practiced shooting my Para LDA 14.45 (one of my favorite shooters) and my P3AT (one of my least favorite shooters, but its reliable and I carry it often because its so small). My shoulder is sore as hell from shooting 20 slugs out of my Saiga-12. My AR felt like a 22LR rifle after that.

bmick has some very nice guns too.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bmick325:
I overheard him telling other shooters they were being cited for shooting after the closing time and improper targets. The range has a new sign that states "PAPER TARGETS ONLY" by the dumpster. These people ( 3 different groups) were using cardboard boxes and a plastic drum as targets.

If I got cited for shooting a cardboard box, you could bet your sweet ass that I would be dragging his ass into court (hopefully on his off day). The sign says paper targets only, but doesn't specify what type of paper.

I'd guarentee that I won't be paying a fine on that one.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:32:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lawman734:

Originally Posted By bmick325:
I overheard him telling other shooters they were being cited for shooting after the closing time and improper targets. The range has a new sign that states "PAPER TARGETS ONLY" by the dumpster. These people ( 3 different groups) were using cardboard boxes and a plastic drum as targets.

If I got cited for shooting a cardboard box, you could bet your sweet ass that I would be dragging his ass into court (hopefully on his off day). The sign says paper targets only, but doesn't specify what type of paper.

I'd guarentee that I won't be paying a fine on that one.

You'd lose.... Haven't you ever heard.....

Rule #1 The DNR ranger is ALWAYS right.
Rule #2 If the DNR Ranger is WRONG, refer to Rule #1.

Ask LarryG about his run in with a DNR ranger..........................................
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:57:05 AM EDT
DNR...

Do Nothing Rednecks?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:11:30 PM EDT
my wife were there sunday and it was packed! and most had everykind of target imaginable.
also shooting all types from k31's to smith m14's we function checked 2 centerfires and fired over 1000 rounds of 22rimfire..now we wait for more good ammo deals then repeat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:29:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chestnut101:
my wife were there sunday and it was packed! and most had everykind of target imaginable.
also shooting all types from k31's to smith m14's we function checked 2 centerfires and fired over 1000 rounds of 22rimfire..now we wait for more good ammo deals then repeat.

That range is looking pretty raggedy. I thought the Boy Scout had adopted it to clean it up, but its looking rough right now.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:59:58 AM EDT
again, i keep hearing these stories and realize how blessed i am. don't have to put up with any of that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:19:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JMO:
again, i keep hearing these stories and realize how blessed i am. don't have to put up with any of that.

I have a friend that said he would sponsor me to join your range(B-wick). Problem is, I would have to drive down there at least one day every month to make it worth it and I'm not sure if I'm ready to do that just yet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:17:01 AM EDT
are you in savannah? the private range in brunswick has garand matches( can't think of the proper name for military rifle match), idpa matches, etc. they have a website coastalgagunclub.com
Top Top