Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 2:45:43 PM EDT
Bookhound and the AR15.com org, I hope you don't mind me posting this email from another organization that I recieved.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 5:00 PM
To: A1-List
Subject: SB 396 Self-Defense Powers Bill Under Attack

(Atlanta, March 13) -- You could lose new self-defense powers even before they become law.

The SB 396 Self-Defense Powers bill passed the State Senate on Mar. 2. Now it's in the Georgia House which is loaded with suburban compromisers who've killed every pro-gun bill so far this year.

Unofficial word is proceedings start this week in the House Judiciary (Non-Civil) Committee where anti-gunners are laying in wait to attack SB 396. You need to contact committee members immediately.

Why is it vital?

SB 396 lets you use deadly force when your life is in danger and:

- you don't have to turn your back ("stand your ground")

- gives you immunity from prosecution (so anti-gun officials can't punish you anyway with the cost of a trial)

- bars criminals from suing you if you injure them as a result.

Finally, there's a "good Samaritan" shield in case you have to shoot a criminal to stop a "forcible felony" (like rape). It's just common sense.

Yet after Florida passed a weaker law last year, national anti-gun agitator Sarah Brady said, "I am in a state of shock."

You may be shocked at what the anti-gunners and suburban compromisers do to your right to self-defense unless you get on the politicians.

--

Action Items:

1. Unofficial word is a preliminary hearing will be held by House Judiciary Non-Civil Subcommittee One this week. This is crucial because it will set the tone for everything that follows. Pick one Democrat and one Republican closest to where you live, from the list below. Contact them and voice your support for SB 396 which strengthens your right to self-defense. Use your own wording or work off the pre-written message below. Deliver it by e-mail or phone their office. To make double-sure your message gets through, send it both ways:

Name/Hometown/Office Phone/E-Mail

Rep. Roberta Abdul-Salaam (D-Riverdale) 404-656-0325 [email protected]

Rep. Tim Bearden (R-Carrollton) 404-656-0287 [email protected]

Rep. Stephanie Stuckey Benfield (D-Atlanta) 404-656-7859 [email protected]

Rep. Tom Bordeaux (D-Savannah) 404-656-6372 [email protected]

Rep. Charlice Byrd (R-Woodstock) 404-656-0126 [email protected]

Rep. Bobby Franklin (R-Marietta) 404-656-5087 [email protected]

Rep. Tom Knox (R-Cumming) 404-656-6831 [email protected]

Rep. Robert Mumford (R-Conyers) 404-656-0254 [email protected]

2. Forward a copy of this e-mail right away to three (3) people you know who own guns.

3. Get the inside story from the Capitol by checking the GGO website:

www.georgiagun.org

Cut'n'Send

----------------------------------------------------

Dear Rep. _____________

I won't hesitate to use my gun for self-defense if I have to.

I don't want to turn my back on an attacker. I don't want to be prosecuted by headline-grabbing officials for defending myself. I don't want to be sued by greedy lawyers if I have to take down a dangerous criminal.

SB 396 stands strong for self-defense in Georgia. Please approve it without amendment.

Sincerely, ______________

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you'd like to send a different style email, try something like the following:

Please support SB396.  SB 396 is much needed to protect Georgians from anti-self defense prosecutors and from criminals who use our Civil Courts to extort the life savings of their law abiding victims.  

I look forward to witnessing your positive vote on SB396 so that Georgians will no longer need to fear criminals.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Just a question of clarity.  Since this is the House aren't they considering HB 1601?

Sorry, I don't mean to muddy the waters -- I just want to be correct.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Sent email.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#4]
HB1061 is still alive.

Cynthia Tucker's Op-Ed from today's Urinal Constipation (AJC):

Gun bill's recoil can be disastrous

Published on: 03/16/06

Next time a driver cuts you off on I-285, think twice about rude gestures and nasty glares. He may feel threatened and shoot you.

The state Legislature wants to give that irate driver what amounts to a license to kill. The "shoot first, ask questions later" bill reflects a national campaign by the National Rifle Association to sanction legal gunplay in the streets. The law encourages the use of deadly force, which should always be the last resort.

These "stand your ground" laws, as the NRA describes them, expand what is known as the castle doctrine— the right to use deadly force to defend your home — to public places and eliminates any duty to retreat. "I think this bill has the potential to turn our streets into the OK Corral because it could be misinterpreted, misused and abused," said DeKalb District Attorney Gwen Keyes Fleming.

Florida enacted its "shoot first" law last fall, despite the opposition of police. Miami Police Chief John Timoney warned that innocent people could die —from kids playing pranks on neighbors to drunks who stumble into the wrong house.

The Georgia Senate also ignored the concerns of police, passing Senate Bill 396 with no discussion about the wisdom of encouraging people to use deadly force when the option exists to flee or call police. Now, the bill goes to the House, which has never met an NRA-backed bill it didn't like.

Lawmakers contend that the law helps the law-abiding citizen confronted by a thug in a dark parking lot. That has not been the case in states with such a law; most incidents involve disputes between people who know each other.

The first person to seek immunity from prosecution under Florida's "shoot first" law was tow truck operator Donald Montanez, who shot and killed a young father attempting to retrieve his car. Montanez said the man tried to run him over, and he fired in self-defense.

Police said the physical evidence contradicts that defense and charged Montanez with second- degree murder, four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm and shooting into an occupied vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Got email from Charlice Byrd that SB 396 passed out of subcommittee this afternoon, going to a full committee vote next week!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Got email from Charlice Byrd that SB 396 passed out of subcommittee this afternoon, going to a full committee vote next week!

You beat me to it.  This is good news.  Everyone needs to write, email, and call there representatives.  It does work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top