Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:04:17 AM EDT
I saw a lot of new faces and some high-speed, non-competition, gear at the 3-gun match yesterday. Anyone else from the AR forum make the match?

VSP
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:42:52 AM EDT
I've shot them before. Unfortunately I don't see much value in their 3 gun matches outside of trigger time. I found their stages to rather carnivalish in the past. The only thing I liked was shotgun portions. For pump shooters you'll get a lot of reload practice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:40:51 AM EDT
The value in any type of competition is refining your ability to put rounds on target as fast AND as accurately as possible. Competitive shooting will do nothing for your tactical abilities, but they are extremely valuable for developing your weapons handling skills (shooting, reloading, malfunction clearance, etc.) I can't think of one shooting school, system, or doctrine that does not promote fast, accurate shooting. Nothing, and I mean, NOTHING has improved my shooting skills better than competition. The big obstacle that people have with competition is that they try to make it what it isn't. Competition will never be relevant to real world situations. Any time you put a timer/clock on somebody, it becomes about the fastest time, not technique. I've slow cleared buildings/houses that have taken over an hour. That's not going to win you any competitions, but if something bad happened, I have the utmost confidence that my skills are superior to my enemies and I will prevail.

Don't turn competitions into something they are not. They are games to be played. Use them to improve your skills, save the tactics for another day. Like Mayo said, it's good, fun trigger time. Come on out and have some fun and improve your skills. You could be improving your tractor handling skills mowing the yard instead, it's your choice.

VSP
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:45:31 AM EDT
I'm a regular with SAPSC...

I've been away for a while but, I'm getting back into the sport...

Hopefully I can make B class production with a lot of practice...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:52:17 AM EDT
If I had a nice shotgun I would come out one day and try the 3 gun there. Sounds like some fun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:50:00 PM EDT
I could not agree more with VSP. There is no clock in the real world. The stress encountered in a real life situation is completely different than a competition based timed challenge. Competition mistakes are payed for with penalties and real life situations are paid for with blood. BIG difference. When I sometimes argue with an SO about a stage in IDPA or similar competition.....they sometimes reply with something like......"how would you do it in the real world". Well for one......I can't remember the last time their was a running clock in a gunfight to see who won first and usually the bad guys don't stand still.I understand that trigger time is a good thing and I do it for that reason. But the misconception of relating competition to real life situations is far pressed. Trigger time is great. More of it makes you better.Shooters should remember that its not the quantity of your practice that is important.....but rather the frequency in which you train. Dry fire should fill those gaps when live fire is not available. Tactical tactics and competition tactics are not the same. One will help keep you alive and one will probably help get you killed faster. But one thing is for sure.....competition is alot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:59:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By A-Train:
If I had a nice shotgun I would come out one day and try the 3 gun there. Sounds like some fun.

If you are a new IPSC shooter, come to the competition with some 12 Gauge ammo and several members would be glad to lend you thier guns...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:00:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 7:01:32 AM EDT by VSP]

If you are a new IPSC shooter, come to the competition with some 12 Gauge ammo and several members would be glad to lend you thier guns...

+1
Top Top