Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 8:04:17 PM EDT
I am graduating nursing school in 2 months and I am thinking of relocating. I live in Milledgeville now an the only good thing about it is a 300 yd. range for $125 a year and I usually have it all to myself.
I am looking for a town that has a meduim distance shooting range, outdoor activities, low cost of living, lots of cute girls, and all the goodies for quality of life.
I was thinking about the Lake lanier area but I hear its pretty expensive up that way

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Jim
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of mutal exclusives in your request.

Like girls more than work ; )
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to look around Athens.  Athens may be expensive, but there is Lexington, Watkinsville, Bogart, Statham, Winder, Jefferson, or Commerce.  None are more than 30 minutes from Athens.  Gun Site Hills is located outside of Lexington, and they have targets out to 600 or 700 yards. There are plenty of good-looking girls at UGA.  There are 4 or 5 hospitals in the Winder, Commerce, Athens area and plenty of doctors.

Congratulations on graduating.  I will graduate in May, and I am going to move to the Hoschton area.  I will get a good deal renting from the folks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am graduating nursing school in 2 months and I am thinking of relocating. I live in Milledgeville now an the only good thing about it is a 300 yd. range for $125 a year and I usually have it all to myself.
I am looking for a town that has a meduim distance shooting range, outdoor activities, low cost of living, lots of cute girls, and all the goodies for quality of life.
I was thinking about the Lake lanier area but I hear its pretty expensive up that way

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Jim

Tell me when you find this place. It does not currently exist in GA.

Actually, I like the area you're in. If you have a job lined up, you might want to stay there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely don't move to Macon.  I work in Macon but commute from Milledgeville.  I've worked in Macon going on 10 years.  It gets worse and worse every year.  Plenty of good city police officers have jumped ship (I did 3 years ago), thanks to lack of leadership, management skills, and that POS Mayor.  Even North Macon, the predominately white, upper class income section of town, is crime-ridden.  

If you want trauma experience, there's plenty of it at the Medical Center, thanks to scumbags, thugs, and wannabe gangstas.  They have shortages of nurses and I think they have some type of hiring bonuses too.

Your best shot would be in the Athens area, like suggested by other members.  Your best bet is almost always a suburb of a major population hub.  Unfortunately, depending on population growth and demographics, even the suburbs eventually get outgrown in a decade or two.  Look at Henry County.  10 years ago, a nice quiet place to live.  Now it's one of the fastest growing counties in the US.  With this growth, crime rate has increased too.  Standard of living is pretty decent too, being that close to Atlanta.  Unfortunately, if the standard of living is low to decent,  hard-working citizens have to contend with scumbags moving into the area also.  There is also a direct correlation between poverty and crime, so avoid areas that have a large number of low-income housing projects, like Macon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you thought about the coast?  Anywhere from Savannah down to Kingsland.

I work for the Health System in Brunswick (homepage).  We are always hiring nurses.  Always.

Thought I would throw it out there.  Crime seems to be pretty low in Brunswick.  It's a pretty small town.  There is a private range here.  It's 485 yards now to the back berm but supposedly they are in the process of moving the firing line back to get over 500.  There is also another club further south.  It moved and is still in the process of getting finished up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Definitely don't move to Macon.  I work in Macon but commute from Milledgeville.  I've worked in Macon going on 10 years.  It gets worse and worse every year.  Plenty of good city police officers have jumped ship (I did 3 years ago), thanks to lack of leadership, management skills, and that POS Mayor.  Even North Macon, the predominately white, upper class income section of town, is crime-ridden.  

If you want trauma experience, there's plenty of it at the Medical Center, thanks to scumbags, thugs, and wannabe gangstas.  They have shortages of nurses and I think they have some type of hiring bonuses too.

Your best shot would be in the Athens area, like suggested by other members.  Your best bet is almost always a suburb of a major population hub.  Unfortunately, depending on population growth and demographics, even the suburbs eventually get outgrown in a decade or two.  Look at Henry County.  10 years ago, a nice quiet place to live.  Now it's one of the fastest growing counties in the US.  With this growth, crime rate has increased too.  Standard of living is pretty decent too, being that close to Atlanta.  Unfortunately, if the standard of living is low to decent,  hard-working citizens have to contend with scumbags moving into the area also.  There is also a direct correlation between poverty and crime, so avoid areas that have a large number of low-income housing projects, like Macon.

That info about Macon was right on. I've been interning at the Med  (6 Main, AKA "The gun and knife club") for a year now and I really like it, but I hate that drive from Milledgeville.
Milledgeville is an OK town but I do like the mountains and lakes.
I may have to look into the Athens area or possibly somewhere nearby Grady Hospital (they pay very High) and commute an hour or so.

I also want to look into the coast as Big Phil had said, 485 yd private range, Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As mentioned - the Athens area has all that you seek.
Life is good in Oconee, Oglethorpe and Madison counties.
All three border Athens/Clarke county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top