Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 2:36:48 PM EDT
Yep I'm going to be laid off on 31 March.    Oh well, at least I took precaution and secured another job, but I also have some other leads I'm workin on also.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Yep I'm going to be laid off on 31 March.    Oh well, at least I took precaution and secured another job, but I also have some other leads I'm workin on also.

Sorry to hear that Delta.
Hang tough dude.

ARH

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll get something better elsewhere dude. Keep a positive attitude about the industry, it always rebounds.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck.  

Post what kind of work you are seeking.  Maybe somebody on the board knows somebody...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out even better for you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea, sorry to hear it, I work for Delta over on International line, and I'm just waiting for the pilots to strike,  instead of allowing their pay to be reduced to industy standard like the rest of us.  Then I will have to find another job as well (been here 16yrs so I'm not affected yet).  Well since I have a working knowledge of hydraulics, electronics, am skilled with metal,  and can read blueprints, at least I don't think I will have as hard a time finding a new job as one of the flyboys will.   So if they think it will be so easy to find another job, let them strike and put the last nail in the damn coffin, I'm tired of thinking about it already.   I'm also smart enough to teach myself to use a lathe and a mill, so not to sound totally depressed, I'm posting a link to my new toy.  I machined the internals myself, used a KMP trigger and sear and a ORF sideplate.  I also parkerized it myself with some encouragement from speedfreak and info. off of the net.  

Good luck DeltaAir423,  I watched a lot of guys I know leave and a buddy of mine found out he was leaving last night, and ya know what,  I haven't heard of one person who left who doesn't feel they are better off.  I hate to see good guys go, but I know they will be better off.  The first opportunity I get to leave for the same pay and definate job stability, and I'm gone.  

Anyhow heres my toy, DeltaAir423, maybe we can get together and you can put a 100rd belt through it to celebrate your newfound freedom.   Oh, copy and past the link.

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/30779Izzy_Browning-med.JPG

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
It's been a busy 24 hours!  I'm talking with Homevestors (We Buy Ugly Houses) about selling my house to them.  I also recieved a start date for my new job with PlaneTechs, and I'll be moving up to IN sometime between 18 and 25 March, then Aviation Industry Expo and Job Fair in Vegas 28-30 March, back to ATL for outprocessing on 31 March, and start my new job on 2 April.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]
The move might be permanent, unfortunately all the aviation jobs I have seen are not in the ATL area.  Most are in the Phoneix and DFW areas.  ETA the job is up in IN.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear this Rob!

Just stay positive, becuase everything happens for a reason.

Accountant
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks rj
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The move might be permanent, unfortunately all the aviation jobs I have seen are not in the ATL area.  Most are in the Phoneix and DFW areas.  ETA the job is up in IN.

+1

That's why so many of us are working in other fields. The closest offers I've had in the past year were from Warner Robins and some place in Greenville, SC. Nothing in the Atl. area at all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn Delta!

Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear it also.  
Last time I spoke with you at the tool room you said you were pretty sure you would be getting furloughed and did have several job prospects at that time.
I stay in my shop (89 hire date) but mpearcex (91 hire date) got bumped to the hangar.
You might just be ahead of the rest of us.
Best of luck !!!!!

P.S.  One of the mechanics from my shop that was bumped to plating shop last time is now bumped down to Helper.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I am really beginning to envy the guys who are leaving and have jobs elsewhere.  I guess its time to start looking around to see what else is out there.  Waiting to see if the pilots strike and send this thing into the crapper may not be a good idea.   At least a lot the lower senority guys who knew they were on borrowed time were smart enough  to be looking months ago.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#18]
It sucks to see how greedy, stupid and selfish the Senior management and pilots are.  If Delta goes the way of Piedmont, Eastern, etc. it'll hurt almost all of us in the Metro area.  

DeltaAir, I'm glad you found something.  Hopefully it is a much better opportunity.  

Good luck to all you guys at Delta.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I might as well chime in.  I JUST had enough time to hold on to domestic line mtc.  As most of the Delta folk here know on this bid they clumped Dept 250,251, and 252 into one pool. For the non-Delta folk that is Domestic(aircraft that fly within the USA including Hawaii,) International (well kinda speaks for iteslf) and Delta North ( think of it as a garage stop during a NASCAR race. Just a bit more work that can be done in the pit lane "line mtc")

Our of the company keeping a total of 507 techs, I was number 502.   And that is with a 97 hire date.  But this number is subject to change untill March 8th.

This job just is not what it used to be. But it's better than no job at all.

I for one thanked the Lord for being able to stay where I am.

But I do lament the loss of many a good person on this RIF.

Yes that includes you DetlaAir423.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:00:22 AM EDT
[#20]
just a quick update, I got a call today from a headhunter for The Lazy B (Boeing), so I'll have to call on Monday and get the details.  I'll have to figure out what I want to do once I'm done nursing this shoulder injury.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's why so many of us are working in other fields. The closest offers I've had in the past year were from Warner Robins and some place in Greenville, SC. Nothing in the Atl. area at all.

Uh, yup.  When I got laid off, the choices were Tx, NY, AZ, or leave aviation and stay in Ga. The last 2 aviation outfits I worked for went TU, the handwriting was on the wall as far as I was concerned.

ByBy laughter silvered wings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top