Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 2:13:55 PM EDT
While shopping on Gov Liquidations I came across this at Robbins AFB:
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=793843

If you want more,another lot of 5.56 brass,8442 lbs!
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=793844

Time to get an electric powered progressive press!

And if you want something big to haul it in,
How about a C5?:Too bad it has to be cut up for scrap!
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=806087
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought C5s were fairly new.  I wonder what happened to this one to cause them to scrap it.  

We're going to be pulling out our PBX within the next year.  We have thousands of feet of 500 pair and 25 pair riser cable.  I'm not sure whether we'll actually pull the old stuff out or leave it in place.  We have a few spots where it would be nice to free up some conduits.  I'll volunteer to pull the old stuff out if I get to keep it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn. That's right down the interstate from my work.  I don't reload though, don't have the time & patience for it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
hmmm, wonder what the selling price will be, Going to take a good truck just to haul it off.hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised the .gov isn't looking to recycle it and recoup some expense. Oh yeah, that'd make sense.

Glad the brass is up for auction though.

I've been looking at M35's on the gov liquidation sites.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd keep a few thousand and sell the rest on the EE...

I can't imagine how much shipping (Cost) that would be...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Um why has nobody bid on this, brass doesnt go bad does it? I see somebody making a bit of money on the side for the next couple years.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Auction doesn't start till 3/10. Anyone want to help me haul it off ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I just talked to a buddy of mine about this, he ran some numbers for me. The amount of effort and time this would require to make it worth the hassle is not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
My figures come up to about 675,360 pieces of 5.56 brass,if that is net weight.
(This is a guestimate based on a lot of half a figuring using some Aguila fied cases that may not be as heavy as USGI brass)
If the weight figure includes the crates (probably) I would guess still over 600k of brass.
My F250 will handle the weight,but might not handle the bulk (I don't know how many crates there are,and I'm not hauling them loose in the bed!).
A tandem axle trailer (with brakes if you want to stop it)will probably haul all of it behind a full size truck.
As high as scrap prices are right now,I expect the bidding to be spirited.
I think high grade copper is bringing about 2 bucks a pound(someone told me the prices tonight,but I didn't pay attention since I only have aluminum, cast iron, and steel scrap).
Brass is probably near 1.50,but I would have to check that dollar amount.
At a buck a pound,scrap value would be about 8k.
Does that jibe with your numbers ATLGA?

Edited to correct my math(used a calculator this time!).

I'll keep an eye on it,and see what happens!
Maybe there will be a for sale ad in the EE for brass soon!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Sure is a lot!
I can't see selling that much in a reasonable time frame as reloading components.
And a lot of it may not be useable and need to go on to the scrap yard.
Maybe HK_Shooter_03 wants to sort it on splits since he is looking fo a summer job!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Just where are you getting your scrap brass prices at?  I'm lucky if I get .30/lbs for scrap brass I scrounge from my local ranges??

But look at all of that lovely brass.  

I sure as hell don't want to have to answer to my wife why the garage is full of brass.

Of course,  buy it then make it a group by ont he EE.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I see him working long nights by candle light on this job...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just where are you getting your scrap brass prices at?  I'm lucky if I get .30/lbs for scrap brass I scrounge from my local ranges??

But look at all of that lovely brass.  

I sure as hell don't want to have to answer to my wife why the garage is full of brass.

Of course,  buy it then make it a group by ont he EE.

Buzz.

I was way off on the price of scrap.
I had based it on copper price and called today to find out it is more like 32 cents a pound.
So you aren't getting robbed!

Still a lot of cases to sort,haha.
I would sell the stuff unprocessed by the pound if it were me.
I can't even think of depriming 600k cases.
I have seen a machine set up to deprime 30mm cases,but it was a large thing,and looked sort of dangerous to operate with the cases spinning around on a spoked hub that deprimed them.It wasn't running at the time,so I don't know how fast it was.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#16]
to get top $$ , the cases would have to be deprimed....Can anyone say "tennis elbow" ? or a groupd decap fest ? LOL
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Remeber, that is military .223, so the primer pockets probably need swaging also. That sounds like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive been in there, the dmro At robins, They have drums full of it sitting in the back of the warehouse. We aslo have a C-5 torn all to hell, it went through a structural integrity test, which involved ripping it apart and inspecting it, its still sitting out there torn all to hell, I can maybe get a picture since I work 200 yards from it, but the govt frowns on Cameras at work.

No I see the already have the pics up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#19]

I thought C5s were fairly new. I wonder what happened to this one to cause them to scrap it.

The C-5 has been around since the very end of Vietnam. Maybe it's an old C-5A or its the one Rak is talking about.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Well,
The auction is over,so who paid

$13,252.35

For that lot of brass?

That makes this almost seem cheep:

LOT (3295LBS) APPROX 9MM SMALLARMS BRASS $4,371.00

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top