Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 8:12:27 PM EDT
I went to Ed's (Nick's) guns on Canton road today planning to use their indoor rifle range to verify my zero. When I arrived the parking lot had no less than 9 firetrucks and a few assorted other emergency vehicles and firemen walking on the roof! Long story short....somehow the fire actually started in the rifle range according to one of the range employees but he couldn't offer an explanation on how that could have happened. Thankfully I don't believe anyone got hurt but the range will obviously be out of commission for some time if not for good. I feel badly for the new owners as they have really been spending a lot of money on the place and making great improvements to this range. I hope they are well insured and able to get things going really soon.

Anyone know of any kind of rifle range within 40 miles of the Canton/Acworth area?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:09:45 AM EDT
That sucks! Those guys have been busting their asses to get that place back in order. The prices were actually very competitive and the ranges were completely redone. I hope that they can get everything back together.

Maybe Firearmz can drop in and let us know what the situation is.

Isn't Riverbend Gun Club near Canton?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:52:26 AM EDT
The fire from what I have gathered did start onthe rifle range, lots of smoke and water damage but the store didn't burn down. So it is closed due to no power and clean up crews are already at work. The owners are at the shot show and will be back between today and tomorrow evening. The owners had really lowered the prices and were very competative, they may just opena new place who knows, it has been talked about in recent days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:34:03 AM EDT
Hate to hear that I've only been there once but there were good people working there and good quality stuff.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:53:50 AM EDT
Is that the mystery range that was for sale a while ago?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:09:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GAcop:
Is that the mystery range that was for sale a while ago?

Nope.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:29:07 AM EDT
<Anyone know of any kind of rifle range within 40 miles of the Canton/Acworth area?
>

you have bullseye in cumming and hotshots in austell.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:57:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1988rrc:
<Anyone know of any kind of rifle range within 40 miles of the Canton/Acworth area?
>

you have bullseye in cumming and hotshots in austell.

Hot Shots only allows pistol caliber rifles, but no .17mag, no .44mag, no 5.7mm from any gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:03:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DHB:
Anyone know of any kind of rifle range within 40 miles of the Canton/Acworth area?

What's the name of the place on I-20W, near Villa Rica? They are open on Saturdays and don't require membership, but it's a deer/duck hunter slow fire range.

Pickens Co. Range is still the best deal around for a private range but the waiting list is at least a year or two, maybe three at this point. From Canton that would be a 30 minute drive. Get on the wating list, it costs you nothing but an NRA membership until you're indoctrinated.

There is a WMA range up near Resaca, see Bookhound's links on the top of the Hometown Forum for Georgia ranges.

If you're itching to get out send me an IM and I'll take you to the Pickens range as a guest to see the place. I just ask that everyone observe safe gun handling practices as I don't want to get my ass kicked out and drive back home for an hour.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:53:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeWang:
What's the name of the place on I-20W, near Villa Rica? They are open on Saturdays and don't require membership, but it's a deer/duck hunter slow fire range.

Advanced Bullets
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:20:20 PM EDT
Look at Little River Gun Club in Bremen.

Its a nice private club that gets little use. Membership is only $125 for the first year and $105 after that. Its not as big as Pickens county.....but also not as populated.

Website is www.littlerivergunclub.com

It is not full auto friendly........yet

Membership application is on the website. By sponsorship only. Put my name down if you need a sponsor or get with me or Firearmz if you're interested in checking it out.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:45:46 PM EDT
Sounds to me that the rifle range had not been cleaned in a while. Lots of unburned powder on the floor or it had been swept into a pile and a spark hit the pile. That would be my guess. You would be amazed how much unburned powder can build up quickly. I used to manage a indoor range years ago and would sweep up the range either at closing or before we opened up. Lots of powder!.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:14:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:
Sounds to me that the rifle range had not been cleaned in a while. Lots of unburned powder on the floor or it had been swept into a pile and a spark hit the pile. That would be my guess. You would be amazed how much unburned powder can build up quickly. I used to manage a indoor range years ago and would sweep up the range either at closing or before we opened up. Lots of powder!.

GlockSpeed31

Didn't the folks up at the Glock facility have the same thing happen last year?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT by DHB]
Thanks everyone for the replies to my question about a good range near Acworth. A special thanks to 1988rrc, JoeWang, Accountant30339, and 00bullitt for the ranges you suggested and the gracious offers to let me visit some of them as your guest. I very well may take you up on that offer. All of the suggestions were great but the Advance bullets range was of special interest to me given their relatively close location. I just sent them an e-mail so hopefully I will get a favorable reply soon.

Has anyone heard from the guys and Ed/Nick's guns about when they may be back in service?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:24:42 PM EDT
Little River Gun Club is less than 10 minutes from Advanced Bullets.......just an FYI.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:44:03 AM EDT
Did not know Ed's was under new management. Got my first gun there when I was a kid. Actualy dad bought it for me. Ruger 10/22. I grew up around the corner from there. Anyways over the years their prices had become very high, glad to hear they had started getting competitive again. I don't know the name of the place but doesn't that gun shop up Canton Highway before you get to 92 on the left have a range?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:46:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Scagnettie:
Did not know Ed's was under new management. Got my first gun there when I was a kid. Actualy dad bought it for me. Ruger 10/22. I grew up around the corner from there. Anyways over the years their prices had become very high, glad to hear they had started getting competitive again. I don't know the name of the place but doesn't that gun shop up Canton Highway before you get to 92 on the left have a range?

Pannell's (sp?). I think it is pistol only.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:59:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:

Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

GlockSpeed31

Didn't the folks up at the Glock facility have the same thing happen last year?

Yep, I believe that was the case. I think an employee was severly burned, if I remember correct.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:10:32 PM EDT
Spoke with Firearmz/Ken today and got the scoop.Appears tracer rounds were fired by a guy shooting his Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol. The tracer rounds incinerated the rubber block back stop causing the fire. Fire was contained to the rear of the rifle range by an employee with a fire extinguisher until the FD arrived. That is where the major damage came from. 5000 gallons of water was pumped into the building causing severe smoke and water damage to the range and neighboring shops. Insurance company has specialty cleanup crews working to have the range open and repaired as soon as possible.

Panells is just a pistol range only but a fairly decent one at that with good lighting.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:21:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 00bullitt:
Appears tracer rounds were fired by a guy shooting his Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol.

Besides ignorance, what possesses someone to shoot 5.56 tracers indoors at 25 yards out of a pistol?

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:27:34 PM EDT
Its actually happened once or twice at Bullseye in Lawrenceville too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:16:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 00bullitt:
Appears tracer rounds were fired by a guy shooting his Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol.

In regard to the person who did this, Bugs Bunny might have said it best with his line "what a maroon!"
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 6:49:02 PM EDT by Firearmz]
Seems the competition up the street has been saying we had a suicide, we burnt down, some one was shot, well none of that is true. What is true is we will be re-opening the ranges soon in a new and improved state.

It is under new management and the prices have fallen!!!! Glocks are in the $480. range, Berettas high 4 to low 5 ranges, SIG's in the 679. range, they carry most popular brands, sig, hk, smith, taurus, keltec, bond, beretta, kahr, ruger, springfield, rossi, colt, walther, and more...........

Seems it may have been a tracer, the fire investigator has determined two hot spots. One is at the back stop and the other was just forward of the back stop. It has been determined that it was not unswept gun powder it was to far down range for that plus I know the range gets swept daily. Any way that the range is down the owners are going to go ahead and remodel the ranges and make some more improvements. The retail store will still be open but the ranges may be a wekk and a half away.

After the shot show they have decided to add some new things, Rock River, Kimber, Stocking Glock Dealer, Stocking Direct from SIG Dealer, Smith and Wesson (M&P is in stock), bench made Knives maybe coming, and a lot more..................

The Bersa 9MM is in and it is a clone of the Walther P88 this is going to be a good seller, seems to be reliable and priced right.

We also carry Black Hills Hornady TAP, and the other popular brands of ammo.

Also in stock is Don Hume leather gear and more on the way.

So to help with AR ideas call them or email me and tell them what to stock. What AR stuff would you like to see in the store?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:21:19 PM EDT
I really like the direction these guys have been taking this store in the last 3 or so months.

I would like to see a lot of AR accessories. In addition to complete rifles, assembled uppers, lowers, stocks, performance parts, mags, optics, and lot's of Black Hills blue box at on-line competitive prices.
Top Top