Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 8:11:54 PM EDT
My wife just got a summons for jury duty.  It would really be a hardship if she had to sit on a jury.  The summons says she must appear and doesn't have an area to give an explaination why she can't serve.  Anyone know a good way to get out of it?  If it were me, I would do my civic duty but I can't convince her of that.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Walk in for jury selection, and if she get's called, state that she feels that the defendant is guilty no matter what.  The defense atty will see that she gets taken off the list.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
When the lawyers start questioning the potential jurors, and they ask the typical "are you affiliated with any groups or organizations", tell her to inform them that she's a Christian / Republican / NRA Life Memeber.  If that doesn't let them know which side of the fence she's on, nothing will.  Either the defense or prosecution will strike her, they're not looking for a juror that's on the far left or the far right, but somewhere in the middle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
You should be able to call the Judge's office and speak w/ his clerk. Inform them of such hardship and they will speak w/ the Judge. Probably will let her off, unless you live in a really small county.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Your wife is probably not yet assigned to a specific judge so she won't talk to a judge's law clerk, but a jury clerk (should be listed on the summons). (Unless you're in a very small county)

Here's the info on getting out of jury duty for FulCo:
www.co.fulton.ga.us/services/services_detail_T27_R154.html

POSTPONEMENT/EXCUSES:

Request for postponement must be submitted in writing to Office of Jury Clerk , State Court of Fulton County, Room T7100, 185 Central Avenue, S.W., Atlanta, Georgia, 30303-3643. The request must be received no less than seven days prior to the starting date of your service.

Medical Exemption:

Written verification by a physician must be submitted for any medical or psychological problem for which you are requesting a postponement or exemption from service.

Age Exemption:

Exemptions are granted for citizens who are 70 years of age or older upon receipt of a notarized age affidavit. A blank affidavit is included with the juror packet.

Non Residents:

If you are not a resident of Fulton County, you are not eligible to serve jury duty. Please submit proof of your permanent residence address. A copy of your driver’s license, voter registration card, signed tag receipt, or a utility bill reflecting your name and address is acceptable as proof of your new residence.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Come on guys ................ Just walk in with a noose and ask where the tallest tree in the county is.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The last time I went for jury duty was last week for Fulton County court.  Didn't get picked, got to see the sights of downtown, ate lunch, and was sent home around 2:00PM.

Overall, not really that bad for $25 check

Make sure to take a favorite book/magazine/portable game player/pillow as it tends to be boring
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have small children?  
In Gwinnett I'm exempt until my youngest is school age (5, I think)...
I called and they sent a form for  me to fill out and send back.

-MrsMonk
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Come on guys ................ Just walk in with a noose and ask where the tallest tree in the county is.

Something like this worked for a juror on the Bill Campbell trial.
He said something to the effect of "he should be hung from the highest tree" on the questionaire and got struck before he ever went into the court room.

My dad has a distant cousin with the same last name who was a sherriff in a well known county north of Atlanta,so that usually got him excused when they would ask about law enforcement connection.
It would also be a hardship on him to close his store as it would be for me to close the shop for a week or longer.The last time he got called though,he wasn't able to get excused though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]
"well he looks guilty"
worked for an employee of mine,ditz was serious also.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Just walk in wearing a police uniform.  Act real grumpy cause you worked a 12hr night shift and couldn't get excused, even though you told the stupid clerk on the phone you are a police officer.  Then ask the court personnel which one is the guilty scumbag defendant so you can find him guilty and go home and get some rest before going back to work for another 12 hr shift.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it really a hardship or just a case where she doesn't feel like serving? If it is a real hardship, thwn that reason should get her excused. If she just doesn't 'feel' like doing it, then shame on her. How would she fee if she or you were wrongly accused of a crime that came to trial, or if it were a case of let's say 'self defense' invloving you or her and the only people who would sit on the jury were people who had 'nothing better to do' or not 'smart enough to get out of it'?

That's my little wish for people who 'cannot be bothered' with jury duty, that their life gets decided one day in court by a group of bitter homeless people who came there for the free lunches and air conditioning.

If it is a real hardship, hope it works out for you and her. If not, see above.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Your wife is probably not yet assigned to a specific judge so she won't talk to a judge's law clerk, but a jury clerk (should be listed on the summons). (Unless you're in a very small county)

Here's the info on getting out of jury duty for FulCo:
www.co.fulton.ga.us/services/services_detail_T27_R154.html

I live in Henry Co. (pretty big county), when I got "THE" letter, it had a Judge already assigned. I spent 4 days, 2 waiting to be picked for duty and 2 on the jury. It cost me a whole lot more in lost wages than what I got paid. But I learned alot about our Judicial system.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
One benefit of being a former LEO is that you will never get picked for a criminal trial...civil maybe, but not criminal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I live in Henry Co. (pretty big county), when I got "THE" letter, it had a Judge already assigned. I spent 4 days, 2 waiting to be picked for duty and 2 on the jury. It cost me a whole lot more in lost wages than what I got paid. But I learned alot about our Judicial system.

yeah, counties' judicial setups are like Colt's models....can't 100% predict how they are configured.  heh.

wages lost sucks no matter who we are.  i try to stay upbeat about it due to the civic responsibilities that help protect our private lives/jobs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top