Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/20/2006 10:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 11:46:04 AM EDT by LARRYG]
Which of these 2 stocks do y'all like better. They are both Choates and are both on Savages.

I am more concerned with your opinion on the style of stock moreso than the color, but your opinion of the color is welcome also.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:03:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:
Which of these 2 stocks do y'all like better. They are both Choates and are both on Savages.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1791&iGalleryUnq=1429&iImageUnq=44603

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1791&iGalleryUnq=1429&iImageUnq=44604

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1791&iGalleryUnq=1429&iImageUnq=44605

Where's the happy switch?

Looking those over, I don't care for that particular camo job, so I voted black some other camo job might be better though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 11:06:42 AM EDT by birdbarian]
Once you go black, you never go back.

Black is beautiful.

Black is the new black, I hear it'll be all the rage this Spring.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:07:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By birdbarian:
Once you go black, you never go back.

Black is beautiful.

Black is the new black, I hear it'll be all the rage this Spring.

Right on brother!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:09:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DeltaAir423:

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1791&iGalleryUnq=1429&iImageUnq=44603

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1791&iGalleryUnq=1429&iImageUnq=44604

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=1791&iGalleryUnq=1429&iImageUnq=44605

Where's the happy switch?

Looking those over, I don't care for that particular camo job, so I voted black some other camo job might be better though.

Actually, they are 2 different styles of stock other than the color.

Know anyone that has a long action Savage?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:11:29 AM EDT
Save your money and get a real stock

to each his own I guess
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:23:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By caver101:
Save your money and get a real stock

to each his own I guess

Choate is not a real stock?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:41:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:45:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
I'm the only guy so far to vote for camo.

What do you think of the 2 different styles of stock not taking the color into consideration?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:59:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:41:24 PM EDT
I would go with the black one unless you shoot off a bag alot in which case the camo one will allow elevation adjustments by moving the rifle front to back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
I would go with the black one unless you shoot off a bag alot in which case the camo one will allow elevation adjustments by moving the rifle front to back.

I was thinking about that, but that could also be a detriment if you are in a bad situation and it wouldn't stay on a log, for instance.

The black one also seems to envelop the barrel more and I like that look.

The rifle with the black stock (Choate's Varmint stock) had one of the camo (Choate's Sniper stock) on it, but it's on it's way to a new home in NH (Savage short action stock). I have another black one for the one in the camo stock right now (110FP .30-06 long action), but once I started comparing, I started having second thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:15:55 PM EDT
I think the ultimate sniper look better than the varmint. I am not too sure about the foregrip on it but the butt ruins the varminter for me. I have heard only good things about that sniper stock though. You got an extra cheekpiece laying around? I need to get ahold of the 1" riser
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:26:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
I think the ultimate sniper look better than the varmint. I am not too sure about the foregrip on it but the butt ruins the varminter for me. I have heard only good things about that sniper stock though. You got an extra cheekpiece laying around? I need to get ahold of the 1" riser

The extra one I have is quite a bit higher than that. I am using the 1" on both stocks.

Both stocks are open so your off hand can steady the rifle when shooting from a bipod or bags. I found that the Varmint stock is actually easier to get a grip on the offhand notch than the Sniper stock due to the offhand notch being more forward and not being angled the way the notch is on the Sniper stock.

Whatcha think?

Oh, the Varmint stock is about 2 pounds lighter, 4 pounds vs. 6 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:47:19 PM EDT
Larry you have an IM
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:32:28 PM EDT
I like the black... A little family photo before the boating accident..
Btw .250 groups on the 308 at 100 and .750 at 300... lapua brass 168 smk 43.5 gr. varget all ammo under .002 runout... (the last part was for the reloaders) Oh and its seated at 2.825 col...
No the rifle isn't stock....

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:14:56 PM EDT
Ron Mexico likes the black stock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:16:12 PM EDT
I prefer the look of the Ultimate Sniper (Camo) vs. the Ultimate Varminter (Black). To be honest though, they are both ugly as sin and with my limited experience with them, are uncomfortable to shoot from. If I recall right, they are heavier than a mo-fo too.

To say get a "real" stock like Jason said may be a bit much, as they are certainly better than the usual factory tupperware Savage sends with its rifles-but a McMillan is a hell of alot better as they balance well and are more comfortable, albeit at a significantly higher price tag.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 8:15:26 PM EDT by LARRYG]

Originally Posted By Lawman734:
I prefer the look of the Ultimate Sniper (Camo) vs. the Ultimate Varminter (Black). To be honest though, they are both ugly as sin and with my limited experience with them, are uncomfortable to shoot from. If I recall right, they are heavier than a mo-fo too.

To say get a "real" stock like Jason said may be a bit much, as they are certainly better than the usual factory tupperware Savage sends with its rifles-but a McMillan is a hell of alot better as they balance well and are more comfortable, albeit at a significantly higher price tag.

I have been using that Sniper stock for about 5 years. I don't find it uncomfortable at all. It does have spacers for the buttstock and maybe the one you fired was not set up properly for you. Yes, it is heavy, but the Varmint stock is about 2 pounds lighter according to Choate and the Varmint stock is the one that Choate provides to Savage to put on the LE models. Personally, I find the McMillan to be far less ergonomic and certainly not worth the extra $$ (the McMillans are about 3 times the price). I actually like the Choate stock better.

As for the "get a real stock" comment that you alluded to, I think it is pretty crappy to dump BS like that in someone's thread. I guess I am just not "cool" enough or "tactical" enough to pay all that extra $$.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:53:57 AM EDT
Well Larry, you said it yourself in the first line of your response-you don't find it to be at all uncomfortable. If it works well for you and the type of shooting you do with it-then there really is no need to change. I will say that I know that I am not the only one who dislikes the Choate for the way it feels as there are a number of people who feel the same way. As for how it looks, when it comes to precision rifles function beats looks anyday.
As for the McMillan being less ergonomical, I ask you the same that you asked me-did you set it up for yourself? McMillans can be had with adjustable length of pulls, cheekpieces as well as grip. As I already said, the McMillan is definetely more expensive than the Choate. I'll add this though, go to any Tactical type match, be it at Gunsite Hills, Hardrock, Camp Shooters, Rifles Only or Tac Pro (to name a few), and you will find predominately McMillan and HS Precision (for Remington, I don't think HSP Tactical stocks are available for Savages)-and it's not because they are "cool" looking or "Tactical". It's because they are better stocks as they are easier to bed, are tough as nails and are more consistant.
FYI, I answered your question and then commented on what Caver said with constructive critisizm-both good and bad for both the Choate and the McMillan-I don't feel that I was crapping on your post. If you or anybody else thinks I did, then I appologize for it.

I invite you to come out to Gunsite Hills this coming weekend for their match from 100-650yds. If you want the course of fire, I will be more than happy to provide it for you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:30:06 PM EDT

Well Larry, you said it yourself in the first line of your response-you don't find it to be at all uncomfortable. If it works well for you and the type of shooting you do with it-then there really is no need to change. I will say that I know that I am not the only one who dislikes the Choate for the way it feels as there are a number of people who feel the same way. As for how it looks, when it comes to precision rifles function beats looks anyday.
As for the McMillan being less ergonomical, I ask you the same that you asked me-did you set it up for yourself? McMillans can be had with adjustable length of pulls, cheekpieces as well as grip. As I already said, the McMillan is definetely more expensive than the Choate. I'll add this though, go to any Tactical type match, be it at Gunsite Hills, Hardrock, Camp Shooters, Rifles Only or Tac Pro (to name a few), and you will find predominately McMillan and HS Precision (for Remington, I don't think HSP Tactical stocks are available for Savages)-and it's not because they are "cool" looking or "Tactical". It's because they are better stocks as they are easier to bed, are tough as nails and are more consistant.
FYI, I answered your question and then commented on what Caver said with constructive critisizm-both good and bad for both the Choate and the McMillan-I don't feel that I was crapping on your post. If you or anybody else thinks I did, then I appologize for it.

I invite you to come out to Gunsite Hills this coming weekend for their match from 100-650yds. If you want the course of fire, I will be more than happy to provide it for you.

I wasn't saying that you crapped on it, I was referring to caver's remark that you alluded to. I think he crapped on it, not you.

This coming weekend I will be in Daytona for the Rolex24.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:36:49 PM EDT

This coming weekend I will be in Daytona for the Rolex24

Lucky Bastard! Hardrock is the following weekend
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:09:29 PM EDT

This coming weekend I will be in Daytona for the Rolex24

Lucky Bastard! Hardrock is the following weekend

I will be working corners, Turn 5.

What is Hardrock?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:21:34 PM EDT

What is Hardrock?

1000yd match held in Opelika AL. It's a 20rnd course of fire. 5rnds at 600, 5rnds at 800, 5rnds at 900 and 5rnds at 1000.

It's alot of fun, I'll be there as well as our own Kblagg and Kletzenwhatever.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:25:32 PM EDT

What is Hardrock?

1000yd match held in Opelika AL. It's a 20rnd course of fire. 5rnds at 600, 5rnds at 800, 5rnds at 900 and 5rnds at 1000.

Hey!! Wait a minute!

Larry- you did ask for opinions. I don't think Caver was giving you BS, just his opinion.

I don't like the Choate stocks either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Varmint one with the more normal forend. I just recall what Plaster had to say about the Ult. sniper, and it seemed kinda grade school to me.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:50:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:06:25 AM EDT

Lawman734, you are a classy guy. Look forward to shooting with you again in the near future.

Mark, right back at ya. We need to get together again at GSH after Hardrock. Plus, you have some cool toys
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:34:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:14:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kletzenklueffer:

What is Hardrock?

Hey!! Wait a minute!

Larry- you did ask for opinions. I don't think Caver was giving you BS, just his opinion.

I don't like the Choate stocks either, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the Varmint one with the more normal forend. I just recall what Plaster had to say about the Ult. sniper, and it seemed kinda grade school to me.

I asked which of the 2 pictured did y'all like best. I didn't ask for smartass "get a real stock" comments. I asked a specific question. Now, lawman expounded on it and gave reasons, and I appreciate that, but the smartass "get a real stock" comment did not address MY question and I can do without it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:18:44 AM EDT

Lawman734, you are a classy guy. Look forward to shooting with you again in the near future.

Mark, right back at ya. We need to get together again at GSH after Hardrock. Plus, you have some cool toys

I would like to go to GSH one day with you lawman. I would like to do some shooting out to 600 and if I do okay I would like to try something longer. I would like to try both Savages and my AR10A4 with the stainless barrel. Unfortunately, the AR10 is the only one that has a scope that I think would be capable of being accurate out to 600 and better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:55:17 PM EDT
Larry, the first time we went to GSH, bookhound was shooting my Remmy with an IOR 2.5-10. He was hitting the target consistently at 600-650, and when I checked, the scope was set on 8x. The sight picture was big enough to hit accurately. All you'd need is some drop data to get you on target.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:50:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:06:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kletzenklueffer:
Larry, the first time we went to GSH, bookhound was shooting my Remmy with an IOR 2.5-10. He was hitting the target consistently at 600-650, and when I checked, the scope was set on 8x. The sight picture was big enough to hit accurately. All you'd need is some drop data to get you on target.

I am just not sure about the glass on 2 of the scopes. One might be okay, but the other is a real cheapy.
Top Top