Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 12:55:54 PM EDT
Hey y'all. I have been thinking about getting into 3 gun competitions. Anybody know if there is anything local. (by local I mean N. Georgia)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
River Bend 3-gun

I haven't shot in it, but I think other members have
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive been thinking about the same thing, what kind of shotgun do most folks use?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot three gun.  You'll see a mix of shotguns out there.  Every thing from a 2000 dollar custom race shot gun, to my little 200 dollar Mossy 500 A.  Take what your comfortable to shoot and operate, but make sure it's at least a pump action.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]

I shoot the RBGC 3-gun match.  Please note it is every other month.

Tony runs a good match...lots of transitions.

New rule this year is you will have to carry your shotgun ammo on you during the stage, used to be he would let you lay it all out on the table the shotty sits on.

I usually shoot twice if Tony will let me...once in heavy metal and once in optic class.  In June I shot a Garand, and will do so again this June.  Got 1st in heavy metal with it.  Sometimes I shoot two FALs, sometimes I cheat and use an AR.  For a shotgun I use my Saiga or my brothers pump if he shames me overmuch.  For pistols I use Sig226/220 or a 1911.

Main problems I see folks have are:
-can't hit plates standing at 80-100 yards
-can't shoot their pistols worth a damn
-problems reloading shotguns
-untested gear falling apart

It's a lot of fun...come on out!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Next match is the first Saturday of February.  We sign up at 8:30 and have the safety meeting at 9:00 with the match starting shortly there after.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
could we just come and watch the show? I want to have an idea whats going on before i sign up
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#7]

You can try, but don't be surprised if folks start offering to let you shoot their guns and ammo.

Spectators are fine...shooters are better!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I used to shoot three gun.  You'll see a mix of shotguns out there.  Every thing from a 2000 dollar custom race shot gun, to my little 200 dollar Mossy 500 A.  Take what your comfortable to shoot and operate, but make sure it's at least a pump action.

Does this mean I cant't use my 11-87??? Just got it and can't keep from going to the range. I also have a Mossberg 500A but the 11-87 is WAY more fun. Today I put 5 slugs in a target 20 yds away in 2 seconds. It's funny how fun makes my shoulder hurt.

I have a military background (USMC) and I am a LEO in Gwinnett. Just looking for more of a challenge in firearms training.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Next match is the first Saturday of February.  We sign up at 8:30 and have the safety meeting at 9:00 with the match starting shortly there after.

MadDog

Where???

stimpsonjcat, if you had transitions that is multigun not three gun(by IPSC definition). Heavy Metal is my favorite class I normaly run a FAL, Mossy 590 and a .45. HM (IMO) is allot more fun as it puts everything on the shooter not optics and all the tricked out race stuff.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this mean I cant't use my 11-87??? Just got it and can't keep from going to the range. I also have a Mossberg 500A but the 11-87 is WAY more fun. Today I put 5 slugs in a target 20 yds away in 2 seconds. It's funny how fun makes my shoulder hurt.

I have a military background (USMC) and I am a LEO in Gwinnett. Just looking for more of a challenge in firearms training.

11-87 would be cool to use out there, you'd be in good competition with that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been wanting to try this, too.  I think I can get a hall pass for the Feb shoot at riverbend, anybody else going?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Where???

stimpsonjcat, if you had transitions that is multigun not three gun(by IPSC definition). Heavy Metal is my favorite class I normaly run a FAL, Mossy 590 and a .45. HM (IMO) is allot more fun as it puts everything on the shooter not optics and all the tricked out race stuff.

Whatever, we call it 3-gun, but this isn't IPSC rules shooting.  Tony just does what he thinks is fun.  www.rbgc.org for directions.  I always run a FAL and a 45 in heavy metal, then sometimes an optic FAL or (gasp) an AR.

Come on out guys...it probably won't snow on us. :D
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
bump
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#15]
cade,

I am going to the River Bend match on Feb 4th, see you there.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How long does it take to finish the match?  To be honest, I typically don't like matches because I stand around all freakin' day watching other guys shoot.  

If that is the case, I do not recommend it...

You're going to be out all day...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Dougherty, I'm going to go up for the RBGC match.  You're free to come along.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#20]
March 12 0830 pinetucky gun club Augusta
Come and have lots of fun
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Is pinetucky where they have the tire house?  I did a shoot in augusta years ago at a tire house--great fun...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Well, yeah, it takes several hours to get through all the shooters.  This is true to varying degrees at all matches.  This will take from 8 to around 1 or 2 depending on the number of shooters.

The monthly action pistol match takes from 9 or 10 to 12 or 1 usually. We do provide a nice lunch though.

This years FAL match will easily run from 8 to 5!

I am not aware of any matches where you show up, shoot, and then leave.  Well not with a $15 ticket anyway.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I left a message at River bend; can anyone tell me there address (saw the map on their website, but wanted address for GPS).  Also I understand the course of fire varies.  Are slugs needed?  If so, how many?

Thanks,

Cade
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes, bring slugs, no more than 10 probably needed. (usually 5 or less)

I used to know the GPS coords for RBGC, you might ask the folks here, those highpower guys know that stuff.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Riflemanweekend/start

or here

http://forums.delphiforums.com/gahighpower/start
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#25]
last questions:  are you ever allowed to use a pistol cal carbine, or does it have to be .223?  I will be there either way.  Do you guys shoot in the rain?  I think there may be a chance of it on Saturday; plus I hate shooting with women...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
last questions:  are you ever allowed to use a pistol cal carbine, or does it have to be .223?  I will be there either way.  Do you guys shoot in the rain?  I think there may be a chance of it on Saturday; plus I hate shooting with women...

Huh?

Please explain this one...

You shoot in the rain unless there is lightning...

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Certainly.   The first pistol match I ever shot in (possibly at RBGC), Was ten years or more ago, can't remember.  Tarps were laid out so that when you did a mag change in the rain you could find your mag without digging in to a mud puddle.  The inclement weather reduced the number of shooters significantly, so it was a fun day and a quick match.  

I should of said " I hate shooting with the precipitationally challenged"...  

Though on qualitfication days with rain, the number of females was usually reduced to about zero...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:30:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Better skip the Augusta matches then, we have several women shootersand are disappointed when they don't attend. My middle daughter helps out with the matches and her and my oldest shoot in them from time to time also. Augusta would definately be the wrong place to consider.

BTW, the three gun at Pinetucky in Augusta is on for the second Sunday in March,  8:30, will consist of paper, steel, and reactive targets, ranges from 7 to 100 yards rifle, 7 to 50 shotgun, and 7 to 15 pistol. 4 to 5 stages, 2 ranges, and we will need to squad to get done by noon. Need to borrow equipment? Contact me, we'll work something out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Let me try again to explain, I should not have said "plus, I hate shooting with women".  

I have no problem with women or shooting with them.  I think women are naturally better shots then men.  They pay better attention to instructions, and in my opinion, if you take a man and a woman who have never fired a gun, give them equal instruction and training, and then compare their scores, 9 times out of 10 the woman will do better.  My girlfriend, now my wife, hit the x at 7 yards with her first shot from my G22.  She used to drill coke cans off the back deck with my .22.

When I said "women", I was using an unfair sterotype; my intent was men who worry about getting their freakin guns wet.  

My middle daughter helps out with the matches and her and my oldest shoot in them from time to time also

--I hope your daughters outscore a couple of men in their next match.  Please post when they do.  Have a good match.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Let me try again to explain, I should not have said "plus, I hate shooting with women".  

I have no problem with women or shooting with them.  I think women are naturally better shots then men.  They pay better attention to instructions, and in my opinion, if you take a man and a woman who have never fired a gun, give them equal instruction and training, and then compare their scores, 9 times out of 10 the woman will do better.  My girlfriend, now my wife, hit the x at 7 yards with her first shot from my G22.  She used to drill coke cans off the back deck with my .22.

When I said "women", I was using an unfair sterotype; my intent was men who worry about getting their freakin guns wet.  

My middle daughter helps out with the matches and her and my oldest shoot in them from time to time also

--I hope your daughters outscore a couple of men in their next match.  Please post when they do.  Have a good match.

Right on...

I think you should have said, "I hate shooting with pussies who are afraid of getting their nickel plated sissy pistols wet"...

J/k

I've seen people at IPSC matches with "mini-raincoats" on their 1911s...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#31]
See??  That is EXACTLY what I was thinking but I was trying to be polite.  That's what happens when you try to be polite--it never works out....

I can't wait to see one of those raincoats.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
See??  That is EXACTLY what I was thinking but I was trying to be polite.

Go for crass next time.  We will know what you mean.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Now I'm on the same page Cade, sorry for the misunderstanding. Mincing words never leads to a clear understanding with me, I'm kind of slow in that department. I'm not much for range queens or safe queens either, shoot 'em until they break or wear out, then patch 'em up and keep trucking.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Match day was most unpleasant!

But of course we all shot anyway!

I got to meet DeltaAir <waves at Rob> and had a loevly day despite being cold and wet.

Magazines in the mud?  Well sure!  They come apart for cleaning ya know?

As mentioned before, if your gear can fail you it will.  A few things that went wrong for me:
-un-snapped belt loop on tac-vest got into holster preventing reholstering (probably cost me 10 seconds total)
-missed too many plates with slugs
-recently replaced the PG on my AR and did not realize it had affected the force necessary to actuate the safety, kinda slowed me down with the AR.
-REALLY need to remember to shoot the AR/226 first before the FAL/220...after the heavy stuff I just get all zippy with the lightweight gear and go much too fast

Still, did pretty good with the FAL.  First in HM, and beat out the Iron sight class also.  Scores are up here:
Feb 2006 scores
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Delta did well.  I'm impressed.

So, the folks that got DQ'd, what did they do?

Actually I did pretty sorry, but I know where I went wrong, and where I need to work at things, at least I won't be expecting USPSA style three gun at these matches.  The one DQ I did difinitvley (sp?) see was a gentleman was reloading his shotgun (autoloader I think), and he had a ND that looked like it landed right in between his feet and the timer's feet.  talk about scary!

Oh yeah one of my biggest time wasters was the use of 16 12ga slugs on 4 targets, at least stimpson was kind enough to tell me where I was off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I would have been up a creek on the 12 ga. slug targets if it wasn't for the Trijicon Reflex II that is mounted on my shoty because I only had 6 slugs in a side saddle.  Only needed 5 of them but with this new rule about having ALL your ammo on the body, I have to rethink my gear setup.

MadDog
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#38]

DQ's were mostly equipment failure.

As Delta mentioned, one guy ND'd right in front of the shotgun staging table.

Another fellow had his AR go to 5 round burst mode.

One of our female shooters had two seperate doubles.

<insert comment about fancy AR triggers here>

One guy had his pistol fall out of his holster.

I think that was all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Oh yeah one of my biggest time wasters was the use of 16 12ga slugs on 4 targets, at least stimpson was kind enough to tell me where I was off.

The shotty punishes us all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top