Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2005 8:17:30 PM EDT
Does anyone know of how I go about finding a farmer or other land owner who wants varmints 'removed' from his property, Woodstock and on north in Georgia?

I used to shoot prarie dogs in the Panhandle and birds in the rice patties of south Texas, but haven't found any varmint shooting since I've been in Georgia: been here since 1991.

Any leads are greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of Illegal Aliens-fire at will.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

That's called Can shooting....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's called Can shooting....

I told a group of folks about "can" shooting at lunch one day a few weeks back.  They hit the floor laughing.

To keep this on track..... I dont know of any places to tell you Fireman, but I wish you the best of luck finding a place.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought about taking a small ad out in Georgia Outdoor.  I don't remember if this is the name or not.  It is the magazine printed on newspaper type paper with all shorts of hunting and fishing articles about Georgia.

I'll keep looking.  There has to be a farmer (cattle, horse, or agriculture) who has a problem.  I'll settle for one varmint per piece of land.  I see groundhogs all along the north Georgia roads, usually in kudzu stands.  I saw a field of pumpkins one Fall, near Amicalola (spelling?) Falls, it was about a 5-7 acre stand: I counted 5 groundhog mounds...all in different areas.  I suspect, if they are like prairie dogs, they were all seperate groups.  Thus, the field had at least 5 groundhogs.

I have noted one thing about groundhogs.  They tend to build homes on hillsides, not flat areas.  They build on a backstop.    I guess that they don't realize the danger of being an easy target.

Well, my lady may buy some land in north Georgia someday.  I can always shoot English sparrows (I think that is what they are called) and any cyotes (no closed season).  I bet those sparrows will EXPLODE with a Speer 50 TNT moving 3300-3400 FPS.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it this?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#6]
That's it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I see groundhogs all along the north Georgia roads, usually in kudzu stands.  I saw a field of pumpkins one Fall, near Amicalola (spelling?) Falls, it was about a 5-7 acre stand

I think the spot you are talking about is  the Y-intersection of 52 & 183; there is a large area of kudzu on the right as you're going down the hill toward the intersection on 52. Just up the road from Amicalola State Park is a place called Burt's Pumpkin Farm, a popular tourist attraction that has all kinds of pumpkins and has hayrides and such in the Fall. You might try giving them a call, as they have lots of land and seem like a pretty busy operation that time of year.

Between Ellijay and Dahlonega/Dawsonville, there are a number of small farms. There is a Llama and Emu farm right off the side of the road. Whoever runs it keeps whitetail, mule dear, and Elk, and other western-U.S. native animals. I'm not sure how much land they have, but I have seen a bunch of groundhogs in the fields around there. The 2 main problems I see with places like this is 1) These type of folks are probably gonna be a bit wary about shooters cleaning out around their livestock, especially "exotics" like emus and ostriches, that cost alot of money, and 2) Most of these northeast GA boys live for a chance to shoot something, alive or otherwise, so competition may be stiff, granted the landowners even allow it.

It is my experience that most of the areas up here in the north-end of the state are all gonna be like this. There are always a few exceptions, but you will have to do some searching.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
had an uncle used to shoot crows with a varmint rifle. shoot em off telelphone wires across large farm plots and such.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I know there was a guy in north Alabama offering Coyote hunting on his farm as they were a big problem. Besides the mentioned crows, have you considered hogs? Theres plenty of places in Georgia for that and they are quite the nuisance.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Growing up in Texas crows used to be NOT protected: now, they are.  So are cyotes.  Rice farmers hate those things (crows): cattle and sheep ranchers hate cyotes, because they both literally eat into farmers' livelihood, and ability to feed everyone else.  So, for the sake of saving a few crows and cyotes, some folks may not have the readily availability of some foods. Go figure!  

Thank you environmental wackos and tree huggers!!!  

BTW, prairie dogs ARE cute and cudly, until you catch the plague or rabies...or until your cattle or horses break legs (or you) falling into the the holes.  These injuries are not fatal, but to cure the animal (cattle), the cost is more than the bull/cow is monetarily worth.  (Horses may be worth the money.)  This forces a decision: where to send the carcass; processing plant, butcher, donate to charity, or bury it?
Processing plant = time lost and money spent, maybe a marginal monitary gain...doubtful though.
Butcher = time lost and money spent, and you get to eat.
Donate to charity = time lost and money spent, and food goes to feed those in need.
Bury it = time lost and money spent, and everything wasted.
All decisions have at least two things in common: time lost and money spent.  Time can never be gotten back.  Getting money back is tough, sometimes impossible.

Having responsible varmint hunters eliminate the cause of the problem in the first place = benefit to all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
All you can eat too.

Crows Statewide November 5 - February 28 No Limit
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, it looks like those crows in my back yard are in danger through Feb. 28.  So, is that cyote, if he shows up again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top