Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/12/2003 5:15:42 AM EDT
went in a gun store yesterday and overheard a conversation about the '94 weapons ban sunsetting. the owner said he didn't know if it would or not, but he had just talked to the atf and there were some new things coming around that would be worse than the ban.

what is he talking about?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:19:06 AM EDT
Hey is saying that so he can continue to charge stupid prices for prebans...besides the ATF does not create the laws, they only enforce them..however they see fit
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:50:52 AM EDT
I'm thinkin' my buddy Joel nailed it on this one. I was recently at a store and heard the same story. Then the guy was showing me all his nice $2000 pre-bans which will soon be totally outlawed and I'll never again see them at that price. Yeah, right.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:08:29 AM EDT
Gee, did he sucker me because he did have a PWA for $1799. i wish i could remember his exact words, but you got the jist of it. there are no new laws in the works that i am aware of.
sold my colt preban sunday and still wonder if i made the right decision.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:39:21 AM EDT
I used to think the best thing a politician could do would be vote to extend the existing ban as-is. Reason being, most gun owners won’t care enough to change their voting habits. If you maintain the status quo, you don’t risk losing votes from the soccer moms or the majority of gun owners.

I think this is possibly still the case. Even Bush has taken this stance. He said he would not actively pursue extending the ban, but if it came across his desk, he’d sign it. Therein is the key: it must come up for a vote.

So, what are the odds this will come up for a vote? I think there are bigger topics of debate. The Democrats haven’t forgotten what they lost in 1994. Gun control is a losing issue. However, if there is some event that brings it back into the headlines, well then your guess is as good as mine.

To be honest, flash suppressors aren’t that important to me. The biggest reason I want one is so I can add a sound suppressor. I couldn’t give a crap less about bayonet lugs and telestocks don’t much float my boat either.

I’m really thinking we’ll have some window of opportunity after this ban sunsets until something new takes its place. During that window, several of my rifles will get threaded barrels and maybe I’ll even throw on a telestock or two just because I can.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:04:29 AM EDT
Even if the Dems want to vote on the extension, Tom Delay said he won't even bring the vote to the floor. If he holds to that it's a moot issue until the Repubs lose the house.

I'm not a gambling man but I still wouldn't make a wager on the sunset.

People are trying to dump pre-bans left and right but still at the high prices because they know they won't be worth half that price in 10 months.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:16:10 AM EDT
A great source of information is

www.awbansunset.com

The key point is that the ban ends unless Congress and President renews it. I think Sept 14 is the expiration date.

Personally, I think the likely outcome isno action by Congress and thus the ban expires. That way, both political parties can look like hero's to their base:

DemocRATS - Look how the republicans are killin' our children by putting Assualt weapons on the street. Vote for us and agianst the NRA ..... its for the children ...blah blah blah

Republicans - Look at us, this is the first gun control laws ever repealed ... Aren't we swell Mr. gun owner.

Just remember when you vote, that Bush and Company have come out and said they want the ban renewed so that is a wildcard.

Personally, I've done the following:

1) I've written a bunch of letters to politicians and several newspaper editorials (yes, they were printed in the Marietta Daily Journal) against ban.

2) I've sold my preban stuff and only took a little financial hit. If the ban is lifted, those $60 old wore out Glock mags will be worth $5.

3) I'm not buying any more guns or mags until the ban is lifted also since I don't want any more Clinton mags.

4) Here is the best one since it doesn't cost me a stamp... when I get the solictations to contribute a political candidate or party, I send them a letter back telling them that as long as President Bush advocates the AWB renewal and doesn't lift the various gun control executive orders, I won't contribute a dime to them or any other Republican. The best part is I send it back in their paid stamped envelope. Hopefully, you guys can join in the fun with this one.

Regards, Mike
Top Top