Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 11:54:03 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I'm originally from Delaware, and my parents still live there. Before I came down here, my dad bought several guns and I designated some of them mine (he bought them using his name, not my name, of course)

It is legal for me to drive down to Georgia with some of these firearms, even though he bought it using his name? I think my dad could say he gave some of them to me as present, but since one of the guns is a pistol so I was quite worried about it.

Another question is that if I'm legal to "POSSESS" a pistol since I'm over 18. I know that I can't purchase a pistol until I'm 21, but what about possessing it? Do I need a written permission or something else since I live separately?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The rifles are no big deal.  I'm not entirely sure about the pistol.  Maybe one of our local LEO guys could help us on that one just to be safe.

My understanding is that while traveling, you must adhere to the laws at the origination and destination points.  Concealed carry I would think would be an exception.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Ga. Code 16-11-132 states that it is illegal for persons under the age of 18 to possess a pistol or revolver.  Although there are provisions for hunting, practicing and with a guardian.  That being said there are no other laws or provisions for persons age 18 or above possessing pistols or revolvers, well except being drunk with a pistol or a concealment issue.

Yep, there is a law in Ga about being drunk and shooting a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Don't worry, I won't report you P806!

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

O.K. So tell us this law so all of us don't get into trouble.

oh, yeah, MaverickMkii, you can legally carry a pistol in your glove compartment -or- center console -or- trunk AND use deadly force on carjackers here. Just probably not while you're drunk...we are waiting to find out that one. (my interpretation) Of course a Symrna cop told me to keep my pistol on the passenger seat. I did have Lorraine in a soft case behind the driver seat when he told me this...as info...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks very much folks.

I will just be on the safe spot and throw all my junk in the trunk. I will be passing Maryland and Washington D.C so I need to be extremely careful. Heck, I'm not even stopping for a leak or a bite in these states. After I pass these states, its VA, NC, SC and finally GA so there shouldn't be any problem.

So there is no law that prohibits my dad from giving me some of his guns as presents, right?  Do I need to keep the records? (like receipts)

By the way, the Georgia gun laws look really interesting...first they say "something" is very illegal. Then they give us a list of all reasonable exceptions

(Oh yeah and sorry to disappoint some of you folks here but I will never drink not just because I'm under 21 but my dad drinks so much that I got tired of the look.)
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So there is no law that prohibits my dad from giving me some of his guns as presents, right?  Do I need to keep the records? (like receipts)

I keep recepts, but there's no laws in Ga about giving firearms that I know of.  Nothing on a Nexus search either.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
O.K. So tell us this law so all of us don't get into trouble.

Okie Dokie,
Ga Code 16-11-134, Discharge of firearm while under the influence of alcohol/drugs.
(a) It shall be unlawfull for any person to discharge a firearm while:
(1) Under the influence of alcohol or any drug or combination to the extent that the person is unsafe.
(misdemeanor)

Edited to add:  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top