Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2003 5:37:59 PM EDT
Well I just got home and I have completed the first 2 steps of the 8 step process.  It will be comming out very nice.  There was some surface rust on the barrel but cleaned up nice.  I saw one nick in the stock but started the process before I found it.  Also on the hammer there seems to be a slight defect.  No big deal though.  I will have it done by Saturday if all goes well with the order.  Well lets keep it on the DL and allow everyone to see the finished product and know what you are having done when its fully done.  I took pics of the gun before with the Mini DV so I have to figure how to get it off of that.  Then we can take final pics when done.  Very cool gun.  Makes me want to get one.  Very ballanced!  Well just wanted to let you know and build some hype.  I think you will be impressed!!!!!

Late!

Gordon
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, Gordon!  

I was really impressed with the other examples of your work/skills.  If the Marlin turns out half as nice as your rifles, it will look great.

For those who don't know yet, vedubin01 (Gordon) is painting one of my rifles.  I chose a Marlin 336 lever-action because it's one of the guns I'll be using while deer hunting this year.  I can see just how much use (maybe even a little abuse) the camo can take.  

I'll be posting a review/impressions of the camo job when I get the rifle back.  Then I'll periodically update the review after some real use and cleaning of the rifle.

After seeing some of the AR furniture vedubin01 did, I'm gonna have to let him paint a set for me.  Seems to be real quality stuff at a fraction of what others charge.

Thanks again, Gordon.  See ya soon it sounds like.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely post some pics.

Edited to add:  Rust on a gun.... Bookhound!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You know, it's possible that surface rust = bluing...  
Nah, I'm pretty sure Bookhound neglected one of his toys...  
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That old model 336 was bad about getting light surface rust in a few areas.  I'm hoping the paint job will help some of that.  That gun definitely is a tool that gets used.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks, Gordon!  

I was really impressed with the other examples of your work/skills.  blah-blah-blah-blah......

For those who don't know yet, vedubin01 (Gordon) is painting one of my rifles.  blah-blah-blah-blah...

I'll be posting a review/impressions of the camo job when I get the rifle back. blah-blah-blah-blah......

After seeing some of the AR furniture vedubin01 did, I'm gonna have to let him paint a set for me.
Seems to be real quality stuff at a fraction of what others charge.

Awesome! Can't wait to see it, might like some painted furnature myself.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Im sure some of us GA boys would be up for a " group purchase " for some our ARs if this turns out well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
vedubin01 is very talented indeed.  If my rifle turns out even half as nice as the samples he showed me, it will look awesome.  Plus, the guy refinishes ammo boxes too.  A custom camo job on a rusty old ammo can looks REALLY cool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Bookhound,

What if I said it will be done late tonight so pick up tomorrow if you like.  Dude you are going to like it a lot.  Because I do!
I just need to make pics of it to post and show others.  I tried the new paint and it seems to work well.  I just need your feedback when you get a chance to use.  The paint says allow upto 2 weeks for the paint to fully cure.  Long time but I have forced dryed it and seems to be good enough to handle.  But if you could wait 2 weeks to fire it.

Once again thanks!

gordon
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, that was fast!  I won't fire it for at least a few weeks.  I don't think I can get it tomorrow.  I'll call you later if that's okay.

Can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#10]
It went well so far.  I had it preped for paint about an hour after you left.  Then got the base coat on it last night and had it in the dryer.  I only had to have my port flushed today so I got an early jump on things and UPS was there bright and early.  Just dont understand why they cant do that for things shipped to the house.  But I just have to allow the clear to dry then wax.  And you will be ready to go.  Im back at the house chilling on the computer so if you get a chance to call shoot me a line.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still stuck on a conference call.  I am, however, surfing the net.  I call when I can.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Bookhound was tied up in meetings this morning and headed out of town for a day or 2 so be on the watch out for his reactions on Sunday or Monday!  Thanks all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top