Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2003 10:39:29 AM EDT
Q: Is there such a thing as a high quality 'hobbyist size' milling machine? Goal is to do various gunsmithing type millwork, like sight cuts and frame work on pistols, etc.

Also: I'm planning on taking some courses on how to mill, etc. Was looking at West Central Tech's curriculum. Any recommendations here would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:08:59 AM EDT
Well, a mid-size machine like my Grizzly G3101 is good for non-commercial stuff. I wouldn't want to go any smaller, but not everyone has the room for that much machine. There are a lot of people who do some gunsmithing on the various mini-mills from Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc.

If the mid-size is too big, consider at least a bench top mill -- they're not much bigger than the mini-mills, but will be a lot more versatile.

A fantastic resource for what you're looking for is the Roderus Custom site. Check out the forums and you'll find a mountain of valuable information.

Grizzly G3101:

Here are a few other links: Sherline, Taig Tools, LittleMachineShop.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:10:40 PM EDT
A milling machine?

Jeesh, Allen, now you will be able to really screw something up. [Tim the Toolman]"I think that I can shave off just a little bit more. ARRGG, ARRGG, ARRGG [Tim the Toolman]

Seriously, I can't wait for you to get a new toy for the gang to play with.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:52:31 PM EDT
I just knew this thread was going to be about machining the perfect target stand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:53:19 PM EDT
I bought an ARMS 36 (is that the right number zzxx99?) from him that he had "modified" to use with an ARMS 40. After putting the ARMS 40 I bought from Bradd on the rifle with the rail, it's easy to see zzxx99 has some skill. Lord knows what he'll be able to do with a milling machine. The boy has some talent.

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:15:54 PM EDT
BlammO;
Thanks for the link. The Roderus site is exactly what I was looking for. I spent 2 hours reading there this afternoon. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, compromising on tools is a bad idea. I think I'll need to learn a bit more about it before I jump in. Hopefully the vo-tech school is good.

chain, P806:
You're both the kid that always touched the wall with the WET PAINT sign on it, weren't you?

Book,
Thanks, that was a Dremel/file job. I bet with a mill it woulda been done a lot faster <sigh>.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2003 5:36:33 PM EDT by QCMGR]
Due to space I bought a Sherlin Mini-Mill and lathe.

www.sherline.com/tools.htm

It is great for pistol smithing and model work but I still aspire to a Bridgeport.

I milled the Novak dove tails for both of these:

Top Top