Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 10:02:14 AM EDT
I bought 2 of the value pack ammo at Wally World. It's the white box 55 grain stuff. I must say I was very disappointed in it's performance. I don't know if it's underpowered, or what, but it didn't do well for me. I had some wolf 62 grain stuff that was very accurate and performed well. Could the differece in grain be what the problem was? My Bushy has the 16 barrel and for some reason I thought I read to use a higher grain in the shorter barrel. Could this be the problemo?

Andy
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
By performance, do you mean accuracy?  Are you using your ARMS40 with the short sight post (damn Bradd )?

Out of a 16" 1:9 barrel, you'll typically get better performance with 55 grain M193 spec ammo.  The round needs a certain velocity to fragment.  The 62 grain ammo will lose it's velocity faster since it's a heavier bullet.

I might be wrong, but I'm almost sure the value pack ammo isn't M193 spec ammo.  Try the Q3131A and see if it makes a difference.

Was the 62 grain stuff green tip M855?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep it's under powered, but by not to much.  I get excellent groups with my 1-12 sp1 clone and decent groups with my 1-9 RRA M4gery.  It's what I'd call "plinkin ammo".
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It would depend on the barrel twist wouldn't it? Slower twist heavier bullet?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My 1x7 twist barrels don't shoot 55 grain bullets as well as my 1x9 barrels.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Try the ammo oracle.  It should answer all the questions regarding barrel twist.

www.ammo-oracle.com

Basically, it is correct that the 1:9 twist is great for stabilizing the 55 and 62 grain bullets.

w30olds, I'd love to know more details about how the ammo you used performed.  Even though the value pack ammo isn't M193 spec, it should still group fairly well.

You coming to the shoot on Saturday, August 23?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to come out the 23rd Bookhound. You guys going to CE again?

Andy
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
By performance, do you mean accuracy?  Are you using your ARMS40 with the short sight post (damn Bradd )?

Out of a 16" 1:9 barrel, you'll typically get better performance with 55 grain M193 spec ammo.  The round needs a certain velocity to fragment.  The 62 grain ammo will lose it's velocity faster since it's a heavier bullet.

I might be wrong, but I'm almost sure the value pack ammo isn't M193 spec ammo.  Try the Q3131A and see if it makes a difference.

Was the 62 grain stuff green tip M855?

LOL. Why yes it's the 40 with the Aimpoint. The "value box" stuff is just the plain .223 Winchester stuff. Not the Q, nor M193 stuff. Up close (25 yards) it did group well, but at the 100 yard mark it was everywhere. Again could be me and not the ammo.

I shot a few weeks ago some of the dreaded Wolf 62 grain stuff. I set the target out to about 50 yards. The 62 grain stuff was really accurate. I'm talking hitting the orange bullseye like 23 out of 30 shots. Grouped well and I was totally amazed at the accuracy due to the cheap price.

I'm puzzled on this one.

A
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Bring some of both ammo types to the range on the 23rd and I'm sure we'll figure it out.  I'll bring some Q3131A if you need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top