Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/3/2003 12:08:56 PM EDT
It's the first time that I can remember going to a really good one in a long time. There were dozens of different configurations on display. A short list of the interesting ones I saw:
RRA tac entry- decked out
30 or so pre bans from $1200 on up
Blue anodized lowers
Stainless lowers (anybody heard of a "diamond series" lower?)
.50 Beowulf/Alexander Arms
Multiple AR-10's
Stripped CMT and Oly lowers at reasonable prices

Also, there were a plethora of folding/collapsing stocked M1 carbines, pre-ban Uzi's and AK's, open and closed bolt pre-ban Mac's, FN Tactical rifles, and a lot more reach-out-and-touch-someone hardware.
There was even a Savage 99 in 303 savage, if you wanted to pick it up.
In general, prices were good for a gunshow.

There was even a reloading-only table with good prices... which is where I made my only purchases.
Two thumbs up. If you get the chance to go next time, I'd recommend doing it.
The only real problem is that there weren't enough beanie baby and beef jerky booths, which I have become accustomed to seeing at shows.
-Hobbit

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:20:08 PM EDT
waddja buy?

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:36:20 PM EDT
Where was the show? Was it an Eastman show?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2003 4:06:58 PM EDT by Bradd_D]
It was a Georgia Mountain show. It was up 400 in Cumming. The Eastman show was in Dalton. The Eastman show was pretty good as well. I heard there was an AD at the Cumming show. One of the dealers in Dalton had a table at the Cumming show as well and heard about it from the person working there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 3:53:33 PM EDT
I am not in any way connected to any alleged accidental discharge... just needed to get that out of the way.
I was there this afternoon until about three, and heard nothing about it.

Varget and primers were my big purchases. I've just started "bulk" reloading for the .223. I shot some Q3131A and Varget reloads back to back, and the recoil/muzzle blast of the Varget loads was noticeably less than the Q3131A.
I reloaded some rounds with WW748 as well, but haven't had time to test fire them yet.
We seriously need to think about a group powder buy to split the cost of shipping and Hazmat fees. My understanding is that up to 48 Lbs can be shipped on one tag.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:01:27 AM EDT
Hey Hobbit, I'm in for the powder buy, I'm lookin for about an 8-10lbs or so.
I just used up all my varget and I got a lb of H335 to start with but then I'm dry.
What kind of charge were you using for your .223?

I've loaded several hundred with 25gn. for a 55gn btfmj but haven't tried them yet. I think my next batch will be closer to 24gn, maybe less since I dont shoot anything over 100yds.

Sounds like you had a great time, wish I could have made it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:31:14 AM EDT
Let us know when the next one is. I would like to go to a good show.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:47:44 AM EDT
Speaking of AD,
Has anyone ever seen a loaded gun or mag inside a show (NOT LEO)
I did at the last Eastmans, this guy was showing me a holster...I put it on and he pulls out his personal side arm unloaded and sticks it in the gun..im like ok yeah yeah its an ok rig, then he pulls a loaded mag out of his pocket and plugs his pistol with it. I look at him and he is all grinning " see how good that feels blah blah " the dealer at the table next to me was watching and we both were freaked out. I took it off and walked away. He had a red pieced of tape on bottom of the mag... Know i kinda feel like I shoulda said something to somebody but hindsite is always 2020
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:29:50 PM EDT
I'd been using 26 grains of Varget- as I saw it listed in Speer and Lee data [Hobbit is not responsible for any adverse effects encountered as a result of using this data for reloading]. Cases were ejecting into a nice little consistent pile. I had actually thought of stepping it down a little bit, maybe to 25.5 grains. The smallest charge I have seen listed is 24.9 grains from Lee [see bracketed warning above]. Let me know how your reduced loads turn out.
I'll need more powder in about 1-2 months, if all goes well. Considering that powder cost goes down by about 30%/pound by buying it in 8-lb increments as opposed to 1-pound increments, I need to buy larger amounts to try to keep the cost of reloading down.
My current costs look like this:
Bullets (55gr.) about .05 each
Primers about .016 each
Brass free
Powder about .05 each
so it comes out to about .12/round. I'd really like to get it down to .10/round, which is going to be doable if I buy components in large enough quantities. I'm considering getting milsurp powder from Wideners.
-Hobbit

Top Top