12 Thai chilis
12 serrano or finger-hot chilis
6 red cherry peppers
4 poblano peppers
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
Ground mustard, cumin, coriander, parsley, sage, and savory, salt, and pepper to taste
Corn meal or flour as needed to thicken

Dice chuck roast into 1/4 or smaller cubes and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes in a large pot with the Guinness. Brown beef, adding 2 tablespoons of chili powder when halfway done. Brown sausage in large skillet. Combine sausage and roast in large pot, and drain enough grease and drippings into the skillet to cover the bottom - discard most of the excess, but leave a little left in the pot. Mince the garlic and half the onion and cook in skillet. Chunk the other half of the onion, and add it to the large pot, setting heat to low. When contents of the skillet have cooked down, scoop out the onions and garlic and transfer them to the pot. Slice Thai chilis in half lengthwise, thin slice the red cherry peppers, and chunk the serrano chilis, then add the peppers to the pot. Add the cans of Rotel to the pot. Combine habaneros, tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons of chili powder, and all other remaining spices into a blender. Puree the mixture well, then add to the pot. Stir pot well to mix ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes with lid on the pot. After half an hour is up, slice up poblanos into large strips, removing seeds and stem. Place on a pan and broil in the oven for 5 minutes on each side, or until both sides are blistered. Allow to cool, then peel off the skin. Slice up and add to the chili and simmer for at least another 15 minutes with the lid removed.  If the mixture is too thin, leave the lid off, otherwise leave the lid on - worst case scenario you can add corn meal or flour to thicken.

Serve with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, crackers, and sour cream.

Notes:

I doubled the recipe for Boomstock II.  If you do the same, make these changes:

3 times the amount of sausage
2.5 times the number of each peppers - I could have safely tripled it, though.
2 10oz cans of tomato sauce instead of 2 15oz cans (too watery if you did that)
I think I also ended up using about 3 times the amount of chili powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika from the original recipe.
And I went for variety and did one can of Guinness and one can of Beamish.

Also, the chili is pretty darn hot the day you cook it - you guys lucked out in that I had to cook it the night before.  If you let it sit overnight it mellows out.

And finally, it makes a great filling for omelettes the next morning!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top