Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/3/2003 7:57:23 AM EDT
So, let's talk about the convoy and other travel plans necessary for this weekend's Boomstock...

I know Bookhound and myself will be coming from the northeast down I-85. Where is everyone else coming from, and do we want to stop to eat breakfast anywhere along the way? I'll posit the idea of breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Anniston. For one, you can't miss it, B, we could all meet up there since we will all likely be coming from different locations, and III, we will all be going through Anniston on our way to Birmingham.

And other ideas? Me personally, I'm think of making a run to Worst Buy and picking up one of those neat little 2-way radios, or maybe a GPS/2-way combo....
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:59:42 AM EDT
Hey, ARH & ByteTheBullet. What’s the name of that road we met at last time, Thorton Road off I-20?

I’m meeting s0ulzer0 at his house at 07:00. We’ll then pickup zzxx99 at Cumberland Mall at 07:45. (Hey, zzxx99, I assume this is okay? I didn’t talk to you since you got back.)

Originally, DeltaAir423 was gonna ride with us. Shortly after Delta said he couldn’t make it, I gave up his seat to s0ulzer0. I told Delta I would try getting my father-in-law’s van, but it’s still in the shop and might not be out by Saturday. (Delta, we need to talk. I was going to call you last night, but got tied up. I’ll try hunting you down tonight.)

Last time our travel time was just about perfect. Not too early. Not too late. I’m thinking we won’t have time for Cracker Barrel. But I’m game for whatever everyone wants to do. If you guys want CB, I would suggest backing up our departure time. I guess what I’m saying is we need to be at the range by about 09:30.

Speaking of those radios last time ARH brought some with him. I couldn’t understand a damn thing. At one point I grabbed the radio from DeltaAir and uttered some expletives in it. Some “other” listener reminded me I was on an open frequency. I bet his kids had never heard words like that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:17:26 AM EDT
Unless you are traveling at excessive vehicular velocities, it might be a bit rough getting to the FOP range by 9:30 central...

I think Donna and I will opt to leave earlier so we can stop and grab a bite to eat on the way. She and I are no strangers to earlier morning sunshine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:53:47 AM EDT
I'm an early morning person too. I mouldn't mind leaving early and grabbing a good breakfast.

Keep in mind 'Bama is an hour behind us. So when I say 09:30, that's really 10:30 on your watch.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:14:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
I'm an early morning person too. I mouldn't mind leaving early and grabbing a good breakfast.

Me too. So, we gotta be there by 9:30am CST. That's 10:30am to us. It's about 2.75 hours to I-65 In Birmingham from where I live right before the I-985 split. That means I would have to leave no later than 7:45am. Assume 1 hour for breakfast, that pushes the time to a 6:45am departure.

I can easily swing that. My vote is still for Cracka Barrel in Anniston. Even if we all can't meet up there for breakfast, that's probably where I will stop at.

Keep in mind 'Bama is an hour behind us. So when I say 09:30, that's really 10:30 on your watch.

I should know this as often as I go there, but my brain was doing the time conversion in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:26:28 AM EDT
We met at Thorton Road and stocked up on ice and drinks last time. We met at 9am. We stopped at chick-fil-a and ate at the counter. I think we spooked the cashiers.

Lemme know if we will adjust for time.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:55:23 AM EDT
I won't be going, but the cryptic reference in the title of this thread is primo stuff.
/High-Five's The_Reject/

Thanks for resurrecting one of the most disturbing childhood memories I have.

Have fun, and don't trash the Cracker Barrel in my hometown.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:06:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hobbit:
I won't be going, but the cryptic reference in the title of this thread is primo stuff.
/High-Five's The_Reject/

Hanky, hanky furry mush.

Thanks for resurrecting one of the most disturbing childhood memories I have.

Don't stop there, you must tell the tale!

Have fun, and don't trash the Cracker Barrel in my hometown.
-Hobbit

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:21:52 AM EDT
Book, 7:45 works for me.

Ditto on those bugzapper two-ways; won't miss em.

Delta, I'm sure we'll have room for you on the roof rack, it's the yuppie version of riding in the pickup truck bed!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:30:58 AM EDT
zzxx99, glad you made it make okay. See ya at 07:45. We can meet up with the other guys at Thornton Road at 08:15.

Regarding Thornton Road, get off the exit, take a right and we'll be in the BP parking lot on the left side of the road.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:49:17 AM EDT
So, Thornton Rd BP @ 0815? And I hear rumors that there is a Chick-fil-a waiting to be terrorized near there as well?

Groovy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:13:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By the_reject:
So, Thornton Rd BP @ 0815? And I hear rumors that there is a Chick-fil-a waiting to be terrorized near there as well?

Groovy.

There probably is a Chicky there, but the one we terrorized was Anniston I believe.

MMMMMMMMmmmmm chick-fil-a.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:34:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ByteTheBullet:

Groovy.

There probably is a Chicky there, but the one we terrorized was Anniston I believe.

MMMMMMMMmmmmm chick-fil-a.

ByteTheBullet (-:

Anniston, Thornton Road, it's all the same to me. Food is food is food, it's all just a matter of where and when you eat it.

Speaking of, I'll be going to purchase the chili ingredients this evening. I'll post pictures so you all will know what you are in for.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:26:27 AM EDT

Groovy.

Did we meet at 9am last time? I may be losing it. We do gain an hour, but it doesn't matter to me. ARH being the man of leisure has trouble with early mornings.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:43:07 AM EDT
No, last time we met around 08:20 at Thornton. I remember because Delta and I left my house at 07:00 and met up with zzxx99 at 07:45 near Cumberland Mall. Get your facts straight boy.

How long (time wise) is it from Thornton to the range? Maybe 2 hours? If so, we leave Thornton at 08:30. That puts us at the range at 09:30 ‘Bama time (1 hour behind GA). Just enough time to setup everything and BS with our ‘Bama friends.

BTW, everyone (DELTA!) take a piss BEFORE you leave. Those rest areas scare me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:17:36 AM EDT
AWWWW hell this time I'll just roll down the driver's side window when we pass through Douglas county
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:49:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:

Those rest areas scare me.

We were probably the best armed people on the road at the time...you were scared?!?

Weiner.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:48:23 AM EDT
Hell yes I was scared. That lady, you know the one with the beard, kept looking at me funny.
Top Top