Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounding like we'll do a hike over Memorial Day weekend

I'll get a thread up in GD and link it from here as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let's use this thread.

I'm in Alamance county which is smack dab between Raleigh and Greensboro. I can coordinate a group here; Lacking military experience I will yield that role to anyone in the area with the proper bonafides.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Advice from Ben in another thread:

"You all are starting to pick up more people, right?

I'd look at this point into breaking into as many local groups of 3 or more as is feasible.

A group of three guys a 20 or 30 minute drive from each other can randomly get together and do a quick hike without much preplanning. With all the virus stuff going around, all the better still.

Then try to make larger hikes a once a month, bimonthly, or quarterly thing and bring as many folks together as possible.  This encourages the smaller groups to grow, forces them to become more intimate with each other, and prevents people from burning out over driving far often.

Your small three man groups can still train together- do COMMEXs where a hike is conducted and then you attempt to make radio contact with another group who is hiking elsewhere same day.

HF comm skills would be really helpful here."

Thoughts? Ideas?

I've also thought we should start a thread for all the NC Battle Buddy Troops to share info. You want to turn this one into it, or start a new one?

Let's use this thread.

I'm in Alamance county which is smack dab between Raleigh and Greensboro. I can coordinate a group here; Lacking military experience I will yield that role to anyone in the area with the proper bonafides.

I like this idea. I'm just east of Raleigh if theres anyone else out this way. I know theres a group of eastern NC guys who I've gotten together with for an HTF shoot before.

Speaking of which, I'd like to do a central NC shoot this fall if anyone else is interested. We will have to start planning where to go now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be down for a shoot, depending on not interfering with Cola Warrior or the march on DC on 10/24.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Hike posted for next Saturday at Salem Lake.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
We had a great hike yesterday at Salem Lake. Instead of doing the road, we jumped off onto the trails and spent most of the time walking through the woods.

Want to give a shout out to @Seanquigley and his wife for making the drive up from Wilmington to join us.

Link Posted: 6/14/2020 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Seeing as how we are getting people from around the state to come here, I think we need to find other areas we can meet up at to try and get even more folks involved.

We're looking for green ways or even legit hiking trails.

We also need to branch out and do more things than just hikes. I'd love to have a stop the bleed class, ham training, and even shooting if we can find a place to host it.

-Is it possible to rent out or reserve the range in the Uwharrie for a private event?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone down for a hike in/around Charlotte next Saturday?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where and when?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where and when?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where and when?

Thinking the Lake Shore trail at Lake Norman State Park, 0800 Saturday (to avoid the worst of the heat). Anyone interested?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thinking the Lake Shore trail at Lake Norman State Park, 0800 Saturday (to avoid the worst of the heat). Anyone interested?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where and when?

Hell yeah!

What are the laws about wearing my PC? Mags OK, or would I need to take those out?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
@Philmore
@jdsbusa
@FREEFALLE7
@UH_SALT_RIFLE
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hell yeah!

What are the laws about wearing my PC? Mags OK, or would I need to take those out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where and when?

Hell yeah!

I have absolutely no idea...it's a state park, this kinda makes it sound like they would be but I'm not at all certain. May be better to throw them in the ruck to be safe.

@qualityhardware
@saturnsport8k
@ammon
@captcoltmossberg
@forestregion
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have absolutely no idea...it's a state park, this kinda makes it sound like they would be but I'm not at all certain. May be better to throw them in the ruck to be safe.

@qualityhardware
@saturnsport8k
@ammon
@captcoltmossberg
@forestregion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where and when?

Hell yeah!

@qualityhardware
@saturnsport8k
@ammon
@captcoltmossberg
@forestregion

I'd either ditch the mags or just wear my weighted vest.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@qualityhardware
@saturnsport8k
@ammon
@captcoltmossberg
@forestregion
View Quote

I might be available for a hike. Thanks for the invite.

You guys ever consider doing a Run & Gun?

@Ammon and I did a 5k yesterday and that was a good way to log a few miles, get some exercise and do some shooting.

There’s one on Saturday the 27th in Old Fort, NC.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been looking at doing one. Unfortunately I'll be unavailable on the 27th.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Unavailable on 27th.  

May be able to make Saturday’s hike.  Not sure at this point but will keep an eye on it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
We're actually beginning to move our furniture out on the 20th.*

An event on the 27th may be possible, but we are getting deep into the grind at that point.

*For those that don't know, we've sold our current house and are downsizing in an effort to get debt free. New house will be much smaller, but we'll have a little more land to have a decent garden, chickens, and a tree house for the kids. We should be settled by the end of July or early August.

Please keep tagging me in these events. I should be able to make another one soon.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

An event on the 27th may be possible, but we are getting deep into the grind at that point.

*For those that don't know, we've sold our current house and are downsizing in an effort to get debt free. New house will be much smaller, but we'll have a little more land to have a decent garden, chickens, and a tree house for the kids. We should be settled by the end of July or early August.

Please keep tagging me in these events. I should be able to make another one soon.

View Quote

@ForestRegion

I made a similar downsizing effort 3 years ago,  don't regret it,  my hat is off to you.

About 3 months ago I started raising meat rabbits, still in the beginning stages. If you're interested in meat rabbits, as I get my bloodlines figured out and a consistent breeding schedule, I'd be happy to let you know what I've learned.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll see if I can arrange my schedule to attend.  I need to make a trip to charlotte this week anyway,  but it might wind up being on Thursday.  I'll report back if I can make it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@ForestRegion

I made a similar downsizing effort 3 years ago,  don't regret it,  my hat is off to you.

About 3 months ago I started raising meat rabbits, still in the beginning stages. If you're interested in meat rabbits, as I get my bloodlines figured out and a consistent breeding schedule, I'd be happy to let you know what I've learned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@ForestRegion

@Ammon I'm absolutely interested! Any homestead advice is welcome. Just know, my wife won't have too difficult of a time killing or seeing a chicken get killed, but a "bunny" might be tough lol
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Saw an ad for a run and gun in SC last month, was thinking about signing up but just got too much going on right now. Can't make the 27th but would be up for giving one a shot at some point.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Unavailable on 27th.  

May be able to make Saturday’s hike.  Not sure at this point but will keep an eye on it.

View Quote

We can always carpool if you have the time
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#24]
T shirts for sale

Get 'em while they're hot!
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seeing as how we are getting people from around the state to come here, I think we need to find other areas we can meet up at to try and get even more folks involved.

We're looking for green ways or even legit hiking trails.

We also need to branch out and do more things than just hikes. I'd love to have a stop the bleed class, ham training, and even shooting if we can find a place to host it.

-Is it possible to rent out or reserve the range in the Uwharrie for a private event?
View Quote

Message Ryan @ Apex Defense Group, he does private classes during the week, might can train you up right. I don’t know if he does HAM training, but his medical & shooting classes are perfect. Hell, my wife is a nurse & even she managed to learn something from Tacmed 101.

I wasn’t at the last meetup on the 13th because I was learning “camo & recon”. Those ghillie suits are fun but require effort. That said... out of 10 people, I was one of the last 3 to be found.

It’s almost a shame the Chinese haven’t invaded..
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Not sure if I can make it this weekend.

As far as ham class, I could do one. Maybe not sure if we would want to incorporate it into a hike day, or if we’d want to maybe do a training day and hit a few different targeted learning blocks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As far as ham class, I could do one. Maybe not sure if we would want to incorporate it into a hike day, or if we’d want to maybe do a training day and hit a few different targeted learning blocks.
View Quote

I'm thinking a training day. Maybe a couple blocks on the radio, break for lunch, first aid ( I could probably still muddle through simple dressings, pressure dressings, and field expedient tourniquets), land nav is one I'd like to do, too. Especially in this day and age where we're all dependent on our phones and Google maps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm thinking a training day. Maybe a couple blocks on the radio, break for lunch, first aid ( I could probably still muddle through simple dressings, pressure dressings, and field expedient tourniquets), land nav is one I'd like to do, too. Especially in this day and age where we're all dependent on our phones and Google maps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like a good idea, definitely pretty rusty in those areas. I'm a complete newbie on ham too, just bought my first Baofeng 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds good.  Blocks of radio comms and first aid.  
Haven’t done orienteering and land nav in many moons. That sounds like a field day!
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Let's start the planning.

Where do we want to try and do this?

When?
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

@PhillyandBCEagles
So, is this definitely happening?
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@PhillyandBCEagles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@PhillyandBCEagles

Yep I'll be there, 0800 Saturday. Hope to see everyone out there as it's roughly equidistant for our Charlotte and Triad crews.

We'll do the Lake Shore trail which I'm seeing listed as 5.7 miles one place and 6.2 another, so depending on what the tracker says after we finish the loop we may have to double back a short distance to get our 6 miles in. Let's meet at the parking lot on the southeastern side of the peninsula, right off State Park Road, north side of the lot. (I haven't actually been out there and am reconning it by internet, so if anyone is more familiar and has a better idea let us know). Note that "Lake Norman State Park" on Google Maps seems to point to the other parking lot, but "Lake Norman Picnic Ground" or the intersection of State Park Road and Shortleaf Dr should get you to the lot.

One other thing, I don't have a hanging scale so if anyone coming out does please bring it. Otherwise we can go off the honor system for pack weight (unless there's something in the rules against this).

See you guys on Saturday!
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the tag, guys.

Awesome plans bubbling up here. I am booked solid this weekend (20 JUN) but could probably achieve escape velocity on 27 JUN.

I'll keep tuned in on this thread. Look forward to seeing you guys again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Barring anything unforeseen happening, I should be there.

Hoping to be dragging @Philmore along with me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m bringing my son along this time so that should make at least 5 of us.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#37]
+1 on Lake Norman Hike Tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I’m rolling a little bit later than I wanted to should be there may be a couple minutes before eight
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m rolling a little bit later than I wanted to should be there may be a couple minutes before eight
View Quote

Sounds good. I just got here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Another tough hike in the books. Thanks for the invite. Look forward to the next one with hopefully some shooting involved. Pardon the crappy pics.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Definitely a lot harder rucking in the woods vs rucking on a paved walking path or dirt road.

I gotta up my game to keep up with you guys better!

How about we do a rematch, same location, in late July or early August? Gives us a month or so to get into better shape?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Good work, guys, hope to join up with y'all soon.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Great to see everyone out there! The terrain was an ass kicker and as much of a surprise to me as anybody.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Definitely a lot harder rucking in the woods vs rucking on a paved walking path or dirt road.

How about we do a rematch, same location, in late July or early August? Gives us a month or so to get into better shape?
View Quote

Sounds good to me. Here’s a link to a video to the Run & Gun I was talking about. There’s one August 8th that I’m going to sign up for so late July is probably better for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Great to see everyone out there! The terrain was an ass kicker and as much of a surprise to me as anybody.
View Quote

Don’t sweat it! Some of us need that kick in the ass. I enjoyed the terrain. Thanks for the invite.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sounds good to me. Here’s a link to a video to the Run & Gun I was talking about. There’s one August 8th that I’m going to sign up for so late July is probably better for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check out that video.

Would August 1st work?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like I missed a good one!  Glad y’all were able to meet up and git r done.  

Hopefully make the next one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's our elevation chart up to where I broke off from you guys:

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sounds like I missed a good one!  Glad y’all were able to meet up and git r done.  

Hopefully make the next one.
View Quote

It was a ROUGH one. Get to walking, we're going to attempt it again in a month!
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was a ROUGH one. Get to walking, we're going to attempt it again in a month!
View Quote
This is true.  I am moving a bit slower this afternoon.

I feel a little guilty about not carrying the full weight load.

'a little'.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top