Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2017 12:35:16 PM EDT
Went shopping at my local Costco in Raleigh this past week with a Glock 19 on my hip (I open carry for my job and was on break) and after being in the store for 4-5 minutes was chased down by the door guy (who said nothing as I walked past him into the store) and was told weapons are not allowed in Costco (even though there was NO post at the entrance saying so; I always check), and he asked me to leave and said I could come back only if unarmed.  I was polite and left, checking again on my way out to make sure I didn't miss a sign, which I did not because there wasn't one.  I came back in unarmed only because I had to pick some things up that day.

Later that day I wrote their corporate office this email:

I was shopping today at the Central Raleigh (NC) Costco location on a work break (work for which I carry a firearm and am properly permitted) and was approached by a store employee who told me I was not allowed to have weapons in the the store (even though there was no posted sign as required by state law). I was polite and did as he asked, leaving and storing the weapon in my car. What is upsetting is that Costco does not post signage conspicuously or otherwise as required by state law, instead choosing to harass customers who are doing no harm and following the law to the letter. I was unaware Costco had policies infringing on constitutional rights but now that I am aware of this I will no longer be doing any business with Costco in the future. By forcing law abiding gun owners to leave a firearm in their car you endanger not only their safety, but the safety of the general public by making accessible a firearm to anyone who breaks into a car in your parking lot.

Their response By Email:

Hello,
My name is Pete, and I'm with the Costco Member Services Team. Thanks for writing in. I'm happy to explain our policy about guns and personal firearms.
Costco Wholesale is a membership-only warehouse club. It isn't open to the general public. As such, it restricts membership to qualified individuals who agree to our membership conditions. We have the right, and the obligation to our members, to enact and enforce our membership rules.
At Costco, we don't believe it's necessary to bring firearms into the warehouses, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace.
Our primary goal at Costco Wholesale is to keep our members happy. If you believe that our policy restricting members from bringing firearms into our warehouses is unfair or excessively burdensome, or you cannot agree to abide by this policy, Costco will promptly refund your annual membership fee in full upon request. Thank you for your understanding.
Again, I appreciate your writing in. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
Sincerely,

Pete
Member Service Center
Costco Wholesale Corporation

So just a heads up to any Costco members who carry (open or concealed), Costco has hidden in their membership rules that the second amendment does not exist in their stores and if you are noticed to be carrying will be asked to leave.  With so many other warehouse stores in Raleigh, I recommend avoiding Costco and getting a membership at Sams or another warehouse that is more interested in basic rights or at least less interested in restricting them.  I for one will no longer be doing business with Costco anymore and encourage you all to do the same.  

Just my $.02, that is all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
i hope they don't have a active shooter at one of there stores.. Nice law suit will follow since they will have failed to protect the non armed customers. Since they will be on the hook to protect them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Every costco I've ever been in has always had a no firearms posting but it's usually near the bottom of  a list of about 10 other things at the entrances.

That's one reason I have a Sams Club card.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I guess it is back to BJ's then
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
It's funny because at the Apex Costco I saw a guy open carry in front of me in the checkout line. I'm betting nobody noticed. Hoping OP's letter doesn't cause gun-free zone signs to pop up at my location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top