Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:03:31 AM EDT
ya'll i need some help tracking down where i can get a map of some land that my uncle owns down in Johnston County NC.  its about 40 acres right across the creek from the huge boy scout property. right near I95 and 701, if you know the area.
i would like to have as much info about the proerty as i can but am having a hard time getting what i want. i'm looking for soil types, estuaries, topography, ground cover, bodies of water, etc. the whole works.
i don't mind paying alittle bit but i thought that there was some public information about all of this that is available. I CAN"T FIND IT!!

any help would be great, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
try google earth you can find all kinds of info from this . you need to download the program it is free but they also have a pay program that has more stuff you can use.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
 Your best bet for free info would be to go to the Johnston County website and click on the Maps and Location GIS website. That will normally provide you a good bit of info about your property, sometimes a little too much info can be found in my opinion. But it is all public record.

HTH

Dan
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
hey thanks for the links guys.

i'm thinking something alittle more detailed now, anybody know anything about how the USGS works and what they charge? what about layers, can you specify what you want?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
hey thanks for the links guys.

i'm thinking something alittle more detailed now, anybody know anything about how the USGS works and what they charge? what about layers, can you specify what you want?

thanks

The USGS Quadrangle Topographic 7.5 minute series maps (1:24,000 and 1:25,000) are probably the most detailed. Size is around 22" x 27".  Around $6 each.  You'll need to figure out the name of the map sheet (Quad) that covers the specific portion of Johnston County that you're interested in first.

USGS 7.5-minute quadrangles covering Johnston County

I think you want the Four Oaks quad.

www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=3926588.99955501&e=737250.000122346&s=25&size=l&layer=DRG25&datum=nad83
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
How much more detailed do you need?  Johnston County GIS has a good number of layers available for free download.  You can download a copy of Arc Explorer to read .shp layers.  The county has hydro, flood, 2 ft topo, soils, and aerials all on their site for download.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys this rocks.  let me see if i can find what i'm looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top