Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:44 AM EDT
This has been done before I think, but I can't locate any earlier threads, if they are around. Anyone know a good gunsmith to refurbish an M1 Garand? Looking at new barrel (.308) and just general overhaul to make a shooter.
Not interested in bedding, NM stuff as much as just a good shooter.
I know a guy locally but he's slow - looking for some good references.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:36:00 AM EDT
If you are around Raleigh give Kapp a call over at Person Defense At 661-0310. He is the best gunsmith that I know of in the Raleigh area. That being said he is always backed up with work.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:20:00 PM EDT
Scott Woody out of Hendersonville is the best around. He was usually at the Charlotte and Asheville shows, but I have been out of touch for 2 years now so he may have retired. Look in the Hendersonville phone book he should be listed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:03:06 PM EDT
I had both my M1s checked out /rebuilt by Norm Chandler at IBA Norm Sr loves to tinker with M1s. I have a standard m1 and a "D"
Red
IBA is Iron brigade armory
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:00:50 PM EDT
If you live in Charlotte/Concord/Kannapolis area, PM me as I may be able to help you get this work done. A 2 week turn-around MAX!

DL3
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:10:53 AM EDT
Scott Duff reccomends two M1 smiths on the east coast- neither of which is in NC. If you're close to Jacksonville, though, I'd consider dropping the the Chandler boys a line. Otherwise, call Fulton Armory and ship that mother thataway. There's a lot of tools and jigs that are necessary to both properly inspect as well as do repairs on the M1 that most folks just don't have, so you have to be a bit careful who you send it to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:37:51 AM EDT
Garand Shooter.

I think you & I met at a Garand
Clinic that Scott hosted 3 -4 years
ago.

I have had a hard time getting in touch
with Scott, as well. A friend told me that
he has rec'd a contract building rifles for
Uncle Sam, so he apparently commutes
back forth up north. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks
off sort of thing...

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:41:39 AM EDT
Naah, wasn't me but I know he was doing some work like that before I mobilized so it doesn't suprise me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:25:45 AM EDT
Sorry,
I thought I recognized you board name.

Johnny C!
Top Top