Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 9:51:16 AM EDT
... cause I do believe that I have finally convinced the wife to move out of NYS in the next couple of years! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Anyway, it looks like NC is at the top of our list, but I have to ask... what is up with handgun ownership there???  

I thought that I would leaving handgun ownership permits behind in NY, but a little research reveals that NC has its own permit system. Just how restrictive & complicated is the permit process? What are the ins & outs? Do they make it difficult to own a handgun?

Thanks much.

NYPatriot (NCPatriot someday soon)

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
it's pretty easy.  go to the sheriff's dept, apply, go back 5 days later and pick up your permit.  as long as you check out ok, there's no problem.  in smaller counties, you can even get your permit in like 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need a permit to own a handgun and there is no registration for handguns. If you wish to purchase a gun you need to go to your local sheriff office and get a permit to purchase.  As for CCW  you need to take a state accepted course and then apply at the sheriff dept. then wait about 90 days.

F3
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Also different Sheriffs might have different rules about how long before you are considered a resident of the county to apply for a purchase permit.  Some counties require you to be a resident for at least 90 days and have 3 references who live in the same county as you before you can apply for the purchase permit.  Get a CCW license when you can and you'll be able to carry concealed and use it to purchase handguns too.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know where in NC you will be moving to?  I know Durham county is very bad for handgun permits and conceal carry permits so if possible stay away from Durham.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you know where in NC you will be moving to?  I know Durham county is very bad for handgun permits and conceal carry permits so if possible stay away from Durham.

I not quite sure what you mean by that statement?

I thought that NC's preemption law forbids city or county governments from enacting any local gun laws.

Please elaborate.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I posted this in a differnt thread but here it is again. It's not hard at all to get a permit in Durham, but you DO have to register it with the court house. Here's what it looks like.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Permit to PURCHASE only.
Concealed caryy is ok providing you jump through the hoops.

BTW NC is Full we are NOT accepting new applications from Non residents, only past residents may reaply for citizenship
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is always room in NC for more gun owning meat eaters.

Thank's for the invite, and don't worry... neither my wife nor I will be bringing any left leaning, uber-liberal habits or proclivities with us.  

We're moving to GET AWAY from all that BS!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]
There's alway "Mayberry"....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There's alway "Mayberry"....hr

Ahh good old Mayberry.....
Im gonna need to make a trip up to Mt. Airy soon....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Just like the ol' hillbilly song said "Ya'll Come"!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is always room in NC for more gun owning meat eaters.

Thank's for the invite, and don't worry... neither my wife nor I will be bringing any left leaning, uber-liberal habits or proclivities with us.  

We're moving to GET AWAY from all that BS!!!

Remember,

We dont care how you did it up NORTH!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
NC sheriffs are required by law to keep any pistol purchase permit applications for at least 10 years and these are public records. Anybody can come in and demand a copy of your pistol purchase permit form.

A concealed carry license can get around this and is SHALL ISSUE unlike New York State.  I have no idea if concealed carry permits are public record because I don't have one and never asked.

You do not need a permit for antique handguns BUT YOU DO NEED A PERMIT BUYING FOR BLANK FIRING HANDGUNS!!!!!!!!!!

No permit is needed for airguns either.

CRC
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Remember,

We dont care how you did it up NORTH!

As a 'recovering damned Yankee' myself, I can attest to the above statement.  My wife & I were fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to come to Greenville (NC) in a job-related move, along with many other northerners.  We found it to be the foulest, most insulting statement imaginable when we would hear one of our fellow transplants saying "Well, that's not the way we did it in (fill in the blank)."  We can only imagine how insulted the good folks of Greenville must have felt!Hey,
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

END of RANT!!!hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I not quite sure what you mean by that statement?

I thought that NC's preemption law forbids city or county governments from enacting any local gun laws.

Please elaborate.

Thanks.

Handgun Permits - there was a post that the sheriff limits you to 5 handgun permits per year.

Concealed Carry Permit - Another post where the sheriff requires you to get statements of charactor from 3-5 people before he will give you a conceal carry permit.  This is his requirement, NOT NC Law.  He has been taken to court on this years ago and lost.  He just waited a few years and stated it up again.

If this is no longer true please post it here, I would really like to be wrong about this.  I will also try to find the post on this issue.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Handgun Permits - there was a post that the sheriff limits you to 5 handgun permits per year.

- I think someone said that is for the Raliegh/Durham area.  In other counties you can get as many as you want throughout the year. Most Sheriff offices limit you to 3-5 per application. In Union county, its 3 per app.

Concealed Carry Permit - Another post where the sheriff requires you to get statements of charactor from 3-5 people before he will give you a conceal carry permit.  This is his requirement, NOT NC Law.  He has been taken to court on this years ago and lost.  He just waited a few years and stated it up again.
- Some Sheriffs have the character reference requirement for pistol purchase permits also.  I know Gaston county used to be like this (might still be).

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Just get your NC CWP and you can avoid all the pistol permit bullshit.  Or move to SC where we haven't been over-run by yankees with their feel-good laws
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Some Sheriffs have the character reference requirement for pistol purchase permits also.  I know Gaston county used to be like this (might still be).

As of last year they still wanted it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Help me out here guys, cause maybe I'm a little slow on the up-take....

NC has a very strong & clear RKBA clause in its state constitution. NC has a preemption law which forbids cities & counties from enacting their own gun control laws. Thus, NC is a "shall issue" state. AND... Sheriff's who ignore all this have already LOST in state court, and have been ordered to stop imposing additional restrictions & requirements on the carry & purchase of a handgun.

Yet... they are still getting away with this BS and you are letting them?!?!?!

C'mon guys... why isn't anybody fighting this nonsense in court???

Why aren't your state level gun rights orgs. stomping these sherriff's guts out (in court that is)?

Seems like a slam dunk winning case to me (given NC state law & legal precedent), so why put up with it?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
The law is written in a vauge manner that allows the sheriff to have those restrictions when it come to purchase permits, sadly. The law is actually a leftover Jim Crow law where those additional restrictions (character refernce etc) were mostly designed to give reason to stop blacks from buying handguns.

www.grnc.org is the group to join for fighting the good fight.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The law is written in a vauge manner that allows the sheriff to have those restrictions when it come to purchase permits, sadly. The law is actually a leftover Jim Crow law where those additional restrictions (character refernce etc) were mostly designed to give reason to stop blacks from buying handguns.

www.grnc.org is the group to join for fighting the good fight.

Thanks for the help my friend.

Do you think that you could provide me with a link to the relevant statutes in NC law?

I would like to take a closer look at them myself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is a link of how our AG views the sites firearms laws:

www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Here is the actual law regarding handgun purchase permits:

§ 14‑404.  Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(a)       Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident when the sheriff has done all of the following:

(1)       Verified by a criminal history background investigation that it is not a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The sheriff shall determine the criminal history of any applicant by accessing computerized criminal history records as maintained by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, by conducting a national criminal history records check, and by conducting a criminal history check through the Administrative Office of the Courts.

(2)       Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant.

(3)       Fully satisfied himself or herself that the applicant desires the possession of the weapon mentioned for (i) the protection of the home, business, person, family or property, (ii) target shooting, (iii) collecting, or (iv) hunting.

(b)       If the sheriff is not fully satisfied, the sheriff may, for good cause shown, decline to issue the license or permit and shall provide to the applicant within seven days of the refusal a written statement of the reason(s) for the refusal. An appeal from the refusal shall lie by way of petition to the chief judge of the district court for the district in which the application was filed. The determination by the court, on appeal, shall be upon the facts, the law, and the reasonableness of the sheriff's refusal, and shall be final.

(c)       A permit may not be issued to the following persons:

(1)       One who is under an indictment or information for or has been convicted in any state, or in any court of the United States, of a felony (other than an offense pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, or restraints of trade). However, a person who has been convicted of a felony in a court of any state or in a court of the United States and who is later pardoned may obtain a permit, if the purchase or receipt of a pistol or crossbow permitted in this Article does not violate a condition of the pardon.

(2)       One who is a fugitive from justice.

(3)       One who is an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug (as defined in 21 U.S.C. section 802).

(4)       One who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or has been committed to any mental institution.

(5)       One who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

(6)       One who has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions.

(7)       One who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.

(8)       One who is subject to a court order that:

a.         Was issued after a hearing of which the person received actual notice, and at which the person had an opportunity to participate;

b.         Restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner of the person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and

c.         Includes a finding that the person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child; or by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury.

(d)       Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and state that the purpose for the purchase of the firearms is directly related to the law officers' official duties.

(e)       The sheriff shall charge for the sheriff's services upon issuing the license or permit a fee of five dollars ($5.00).

(f)        Each applicant for a license or permit shall be informed by the sheriff within 30 days of the date of the application whether the license or permit will be granted or denied and, if granted, the license or permit shall be immediately issued to the applicant. (1919, c. 197, s. 3; C.S., s. 5108; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1969, c. 73; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1395, s. 1; 1987, c. 518, s. 1; 1995, c. 487, s. 2.)
www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-404.html

s you can see, it is vauge enough that a good sheriff will be "Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant" with just a clean background check, but an asshat will ask for more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Here is a link of how our AG views the sites firearms laws:

www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Here is the actual law regarding handgun purchase permits:

§ 14‑404.  Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(a)       Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident when the sheriff has done all of the following:

(1)       Verified by a criminal history background investigation that it is not a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The sheriff shall determine the criminal history of any applicant by accessing computerized criminal history records as maintained by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, by conducting a national criminal history records check, and by conducting a criminal history check through the Administrative Office of the Courts.

(2)       Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant.

(3)       Fully satisfied himself or herself that the applicant desires the possession of the weapon mentioned for (i) the protection of the home, business, person, family or property, (ii) target shooting, (iii) collecting, or (iv) hunting.

(b)       If the sheriff is not fully satisfied, the sheriff may, for good cause shown, decline to issue the license or permit and shall provide to the applicant within seven days of the refusal a written statement of the reason(s) for the refusal. An appeal from the refusal shall lie by way of petition to the chief judge of the district court for the district in which the application was filed. The determination by the court, on appeal, shall be upon the facts, the law, and the reasonableness of the sheriff's refusal, and shall be final.

(c)       A permit may not be issued to the following persons:

(1)       One who is under an indictment or information for or has been convicted in any state, or in any court of the United States, of a felony (other than an offense pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, or restraints of trade). However, a person who has been convicted of a felony in a court of any state or in a court of the United States and who is later pardoned may obtain a permit, if the purchase or receipt of a pistol or crossbow permitted in this Article does not violate a condition of the pardon.

(2)       One who is a fugitive from justice.

(3)       One who is an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug (as defined in 21 U.S.C. section 802).

(4)       One who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or has been committed to any mental institution.

(5)       One who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

(6)       One who has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions.

(7)       One who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.

(8)       One who is subject to a court order that:

a.         Was issued after a hearing of which the person received actual notice, and at which the person had an opportunity to participate;

b.         Restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner of the person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and

c.         Includes a finding that the person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child; or by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury.

(d)       Nothing in this Article shall apply to officers authorized by law to carry firearms if the officers identify themselves to the vendor or donor as being officers authorized by law to carry firearms and state that the purpose for the purchase of the firearms is directly related to the law officers' official duties.

(e)       The sheriff shall charge for the sheriff's services upon issuing the license or permit a fee of five dollars ($5.00).

(f)        Each applicant for a license or permit shall be informed by the sheriff within 30 days of the date of the application whether the license or permit will be granted or denied and, if granted, the license or permit shall be immediately issued to the applicant. (1919, c. 197, s. 3; C.S., s. 5108; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1969, c. 73; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1395, s. 1; 1987, c. 518, s. 1; 1995, c. 487, s. 2.)
www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-404.html

s you can see, it is vauge enough that a good sheriff will be "Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant" with just a clean background check, but an asshat will ask for more.

Thanks again Garand_Shooter. Just one more question: How does a concealed carry permit factor into all this? In other words, are you exempt from all the red tape if you are licensed to carry?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, get your CCH and all this goes out the window...... cash and carry, no NICS no purchase permit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#26]
A NC CCW permit is fairly straight forward to get and with it and your picture ID you don't need anything else to purchase a firearm.  packing.com is a good source for ccw details.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some Sheriffs have the character reference requirement for pistol purchase permits also.  I know Gaston county used to be like this (might still be).

As of last year they still wanted it.

OK.  Union county doesnt have it and you can get your permits as quick as the following day.  Restriction is 3 per application @ 5$/ea
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top