Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 5:41:37 AM EDT
Posted on Tue, Feb. 28, 2006
Gun range fire under investigation
By Kenneth A. Gailliard
The Sun News
Firefighters are trying to determine what caused a fire early Tuesday morning at the Myrtle Beach Indoor Shooting range on U.S. 17 Bypass.
Todd Cartner, public information for Horry County Fire Rescue said a fire broke out at the business about 2:40 a.m.
Fire damage was contained mostly to the ceiling and roof of the building, Cartner said. No one was injured in the blaze.
A police officer on patrol noticed smoke pouring from the front door of the shooting range and reported the fire, Cartner said.
When firefighters arrived they saw flames coming from the roof of the building, Cartner said.
Security at the building, which has guns and ammunition inside, made it difficult for firefighters to get inside, he said.
But they managed to enter the building relatively quickly.
He said firefighters were aware before attacking the blaze that fire likely would not threaten the ammunition inside.
"We knew where the ammunition was and were able to get the fire out before it spread to that area," Cartner said.
He said firefighters conduct tactical surveys at all commercial structures to know in advance what dangers might be inside and where those hazards might be located.

damn.....this is my home away from home....and part time job......

i'll post more info when i get it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]

That really sucks. Ted is a super guy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
went by on lunch from my other job.....the place is a wreck. The old SAA and Winchesters caught the worst of it. The stocks on some of the AR's melted. Now time for the cleanup, the A&I fire/water restoration people were out there. Luckily the Civil War Museum wasn't burned, a lot of history there that could have been lost.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm... powder residue build up and ignition? I think the indoor range at Jim's Gun Jobbery of Fayetteville had this problem a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
from what they've found so far, it started in the roof/ceiling area at the entrance, opposite of the range.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep me updated man.

I'll try to stop in sometime or another. Is there anything I can do to help cleanup or something this weekend? (gratis) Maybe you could ask Ted. Names Keith btw.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]

I plead the 5th
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
well, Ted opened up the class room section where the CWP classes are held, no fire damage there. That part is open for business, selling handguns. It will be 2-5 weeks for the Range to re open, looks like that is being used for a cleaning/storage area right now. The Store is still a mess, a lot of the guys spent the day cleaning the guns and rifle racks. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon and all day Saturday. Stop by if you get a chance SVI40.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top