Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:23:55 PM EDT
Well, the topic says it all, but I have some questions before I head down there. I'll be driving from NY on Thur. and have until Tuesday to check out TN, SC,VA, and if I have time, NC.

I'm focusing on the western side of the states, due to the close proximity to the mtns.

1. What are some areas, small in population(~50K), that are close to say either Ashville, NC or Spartenburg, SC that are worth checking out? My desires are to buy some property, so hopefully it is affordable.

2. What are the taxes like? Say on a $200K piece of property?

3. I'm into mountainbiking, streetbikes, and dirtbikes. Hiking, shooting, hunting, and camping are all up my alley. Which towns are these activities available in?

4. Weather, how is the seasons? Is is mad humid in the summer? Freezing in the winter? Lots of rain/snow? Alot of sunny days?

Thanks guys...

John
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:47:24 PM EDT
I can help maybe with 2 and 4. 2-My little slice of heaven, billed at Charlotte/Mecklenburg rates, valued at 150000, is taxed at a little over $1600 per year.

4Yes to the above, but Charlotte is milder than FL as far as humidity. It was 25 this a.m., but supposed to get to 70 this week sometime. The city gets more rain then Seatlle, but this year it looks like it'll be a little dry. We get sun and rain.

Lots, and I mean, LOTS of NY'ers relocate here due to banking (we're currently #2 with BofA and Wachovia headquartered here) and some other things. My next door neighbor moved here 1 month before I did, he's a Yankee as well but his brother lived here his adult life--I will say he is the type to give you the shirt off his back and will be offended if you decline a beer (or three) he offers you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 6:34:30 PM EDT by mm34b]
Weather

Normal Highs & Lows for January

Asheville-Hendersonville

High - 45.9F Low - 25.8F

Greenville-Spartanburg

High - 50.2F Low - 31.4F

Charlotte

High - 51.3F Low - 32.1F

Normal Highs & Lows for July

Asheville-Hendersonville

High - 83.3F Low - 62.7F

Greenville-Spartanburg

High - 88.8F Low - 68.7F

Charlotte

High - 90.1F Low - 70.6F

Normal Snowfall Season Totals

Asheville-Hendersonville

15.6"

Greenville-Spartanburg

6.3"

Charlotte

5.5"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:59:50 AM EDT
North Carolina has met it's quota for New Yorkers

j/k

Western NC is great. Asheville you have to get along with Hippies and Wiccians and Tree people, and other sorts.
Gotta love sitting on top of a mountain and seeing nothing but trees as far as you can see.

Mecklenberg county and surrounding area where I live you have to tolerate lots and lots of latinos.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:55:46 AM EDT
If you move to NC be prepared to be called a Yankee, alot. I'd never been called that before moving to NC and I'm from VA

Property taxes are fairly low, but the gas tax is the highest around and the sales tax is high, but not as high as NY. NC is not really NFA friendly if you are into that. I would suggest VA over NC. If you must move to NC, Charlotte is the place to go but the population is around 600,000.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:41:25 AM EDT
I'll try to help some too. Here's the info on my area:

1. Rutherford County. Population is about 65k. Spartanburg is about 20 mins south of here and Asheville is up the mountain about 50 minutes. Not too bad really. Lots of property for sale here. My friend's mom owns a realty place (Century 21) here in town. I can give you her contact info if you'd like to meet up with her.

2. Property taxes are $.62 per $100 of apprasial value. We pay ~$4500 on our $750k property.

3. Shooting: We have 2 ranges here in town. One has cowboy action/3-gun shooting and the other does 50-100-600yd benchrest and trap. Hunting and camping are easy enough to do. The more outdoorsy stuff is further west.

4. We get a couple of light snows a year. Light like maybe lasting a day or two. It's been really mild this winter. April/May is our normal rainy season. The humidity can get bad in June/July, but you'll get used to it.

Good luck with your search.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:44 PM EDT
I'd suggest the upstate of SC (mountain country). NC's taxes are too damn high for most of us here.

SC taxes are more reasonable. The upstate has good weather, decent ranges nearby, etc.

Lex in NC
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:06:39 AM EDT
Guys, what's living like in the Raleigh-Durham area?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:52:45 PM EDT
Sorry NC is all filled up, past natives may return, but no new transplants!

<­BR>

­

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:39:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 3:55:52 PM EDT by Eli822]
NYPatriot,

In North Carolina the Raliegh-Durham is referred to as the most liberal part of the state. I don't live there but I've heard alot of guys from that area complain about it being pretty difficult to get a purchase permit or CCW in Durham. I believe the crime rate in Durham is on the high side too.

Also you might want to try this link out Link you can compare NC to the state you are in now and see how NC is as far as taxes, education, crime rate.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:59:43 PM EDT
You don't want to move to Raleigh/Durham it is too much like what you are moving away from. Come visit Raleigh any weekday to see what I mean.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:02:18 PM EDT
I second that. We are living in Raleigh but my wife just got a job out towards Ashville, so we're heading out!
Top Top