Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 8:47:22 PM EDT
Ok I work at a CNC machine shop and was thinking of purchasing some DSA arms 0% forgings and machining some lowers out of them. I have also thought of making my own billet lowers....

Now my questions are.

#1. Can I legally do either of these without having any kind of permits?
#2. May I put any serial # I please on them, or do I need to contact the BATF and get serial #'s issued.
#3. I know that I can't sell these lower, but may I give them away? (I seriously mean give them away no money under the table or anything. I would like to give my father and my friend one....If not ohh well they can purchase their own :p)
#4. Any other legal issues I should know before I start doing this?

Josh
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone know?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you may make your own receivers. As long as you can legally possess firearms, you are fine. However you may not sell any receivers nor firearms you've made yourself (without getting into FFL issues), and you may only pass them on to your son and/or daughter. You may not make them for anybody else. There are also 80% complete forging and castings available. Google tanneryshop and nat'l ordnance co. Also check out the BIY board under AR-15.

ETA:BATF&E recommends you put an identifying number or mark, "in case" they get lost/stolen, but there is no requirement to put a serial number nor let the agency know.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes you may make your own receivers. As long as you can legally possess firearms, you are fine. However you may not sell any receivers nor firearms you've made yourself (without getting into FFL issues), and you may only pass them on to your son and/or daughter. You may not make them for anybody else. There are also 80% complete forging and castings available. Google tanneryshop and nat'l ordnance co. Also check out the BIY board under AR-15.

ETA:BATF&E recommends you put an identifying number or mark, "in case" they get lost/stolen, but there is no requirement to put a serial number nor let the agency know.

Thanks this is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure the same thing applied in NC. I will have no problem making one from a cheaper priced 0%, and after I do that I will probally make some billet ones.

Josh
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
They require no special permits either in NC or Federally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top