Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:25:40 PM EDT
I'm looking for the local gravel pit type of place.  I don't want to pay just to plink around.  Anybody know of a local place in the woods?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The closest thing to a free range that I know of is uwharrie. Here is a link about a group shoot their soon.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=34&t=223499

If you want an outdoor range, Range 1 is just south of lillington about a 20 min drive, here is their page

http://www.range-1.com/welcome.htm
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've got access to FT Bragg, McKellar's range is not bad. Cheap anyway. Membership was $25 a year and I pay a buck or two for all day shooting on the rifle range, clay's are $5 a round. Benches are adequate, target stands aren't great though, I use an old realty sign when I go.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
How big is the range and where on Bragg is it?  When I say how big I mean what are the distances avalible to shoot.  Is it a AR/AK friendly place?  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How big is the range and where on Bragg is it?  When I say how big I mean what are the distances avalible to shoot.  Is it a AR/AK friendly place?  Thanks again.

Around 12 benches under two separate shelters. All out to 100 yds. Separate clay area. There is usually a bunch of ARs, I take mine there all the time. AKs in abundance as well. Friend of mine shoots his 74 there when he can find ammo. I shoot muzzleloader, SKS, Saiga shotguns, FALs, 10/22s, 1911s, P22 no one blinks an eye (not that any of that is particularly shocking). Have seen MP5s, HK rifles, M1As, Glocks, flintlocks, black powder revolvers, couple weeks back there was a guy with a Barrett. There was a bunch of guys shooting scoped revolvers in large calibers for a while. Guns of all type are welcomed. Generally a good crowd. Not rare to see families out there, and all behaving. Mostly friendly folks that'll let you shoot theirs if they can shoot yours or just shoot the shit with you while smoking or cleaning. Only seen one instance of an idiot on the range, some guy had his gf there showing off his toy and shot some tracers over the berm. Huge fire, shut it down for the day. Guy was told not to come back. No real range master, just the same guy who is always there at the desk. He enforces things when he needs to but rarely needs to (at least when I've been there).

Its way down Gruber Rd, past Pike Field.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you think that this range can be rented for a few days?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you think that this range can be rented for a few days?

910-907-5853 to find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top