Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 6:34:04 PM EDT
anyone know the law in regards to carrying a fixed blade knife in NC?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You'd prolly be arrested if you carry off your property under that armed to the terror statute.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
OK.............best I can tell only on your own property/land w/o any trouble
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Im so glad all of us law abiding citizens abide by all the laws........and the bad guys....well.................WTF
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You'd prolly be arrested if you carry off your property under that armed to the terror statute.

yeah, if you wave it around in the air and start screaming like a bloody maniac
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry in Durham. Chapel Hill or Charlotte and see what happens.

In the middle of fishing in a wilderness area I doubt it's a big deal but elsewhere you risk being arrested.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the middle of fishing in a wilderness area I doubt it's a big deal but elsewhere you risk being arrested.

IN Charlotte it wuld greatly depend on who got out with you. In all likelyhood you wouldn't get get hooked up on a "going armed to the terro of the public" charge since certain elements have to be met before the offense truely occurrs. If it is in plain view, you certainly wouldn't get charged with CCW-Edged Weapon either.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IN Charlotte it wuld greatly depend on who got out with you. In all likelyhood you wouldn't get get hooked up on a "going armed to the terro of the public" charge since certain elements have to be met before the offense truely occurrs. If it is in plain view, you certainly wouldn't get charged with CCW-Edged Weapon either.

I've heard that if someone sees your knife or gun and complains to the police, you can be arrested under the armed to terror statute.

So I am wrong?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much.  A person simply observing the weapon on you and complaining about it doesnt meet the elements of going armed to the terror of the public
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL, armed to the terror of the public...
I have seen some ugly ass women that should be charged with that

seriously, If I am "made" someone can call in? I really dont think so. Now if I was waving pistol around like a jackass , sure I can see it.
But just open carry or shirt gets cought on grip? No way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah if someone sees you with a weapon they can call in.  People even call if they think you might have a weapon (for whatever reason).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#11]
So does anyone have a copy of the armed to the terror statute?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
6. GOING ARMED TO THE TERROR OF THE PEOPLE
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any
unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public
highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any
gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons
are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.

Thats from the State's site on firearm laws.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the post but

What is a 'manner to cause terror'?

Any court cases or AG opinions on it?

Would carrying an AR-15 be such a 'manner'?

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Fo und this here: http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm

So in theory that leaves everywhere else in the state - except for one more thing. There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people."  Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.

So is open carry legal in NC? In theory, yes. In practice, maybe.  It seems to us like a very good way to get arrested.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
It has been so rarely charged that its yet to face an actual court test.  I dont know of anyone being charged with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Using the description that NCPatrolAr posted for us, would having an AR slung arcross my back while riding my motorcycle to the range be considered going armed to the terror of the public?
I have every intent of doing this in the coming summer. I'm sure Durham LE will not be impressed...but I didn't anticipate being charged.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#17]
i think based on NCPatrolAR and other posters, i'd carry it in a discreet case for two reasons:
-no hassle by the LEO's because of past incidents in the news of highway shootings, snipers,etc.
-protection in case you dump your can on the road - it would be a shame to mess up your AR like that!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top