Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 4:20:58 PM EDT
A buddy and I are looking for places to shoot.

We're both students of UNCA so we run into a set of issues. He's from Charlotte and has an AK he wants to shoot out here. Naturally, guns are not allowed on campus. I have a 1911 and a Shotty I want to take to the range (saving for an AR build).

So we're looking for places that do at least one of the following in our area:

1) Has a rifle range for his AK
2) Has weapon storage. If such a thing exists?
3) Is nearby, no further west than WCU and no further east than Hickory.
4) Is open to the public for free, or a minimal price.

I'm the only one with a vehicle, and I drive a POS Bronco II that is a gas guzzling pig, so the closer, the better.

Any suggestions? I had heard of a range behind WCU which could be ideal if it's big enough for his AK (if not, I might be able to shoot there).
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't think you'll find a place that will accept the liability of storing his gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a public range in the National Forest just west of WCU, but no storage facilities or anything like that. There is an effort underway to try and build one in Haywood county as well near Lake Logan, although having been away for a year I don't know the status on this one yet.

As far as storage, your best bet would probably be some of the local gun shops, see if they will keep it for a small fee. I don;t know of any ranges that will.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I had heard rumors of a range near WCU, so I was curious. Do you know how to get there?

I talked to the owner of Carolina Pawn and Gun yesterday and he said the range in Haywood won't be built for another year or two.

I'll check into some Gun stores this weekend and see what I can find. Unfortunately, they are limited in this area.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Check at Buck & Bass in Hazelwood, they have a very good smith who may be willing to hold it for you.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a member at Piedmont Gun Club down in Rutherfordton (about an hour from Asheville).  We have a pretty decent setup if you guys want to try it out.  100, 200, and 600 yard rifle lines and 50yd pistol line.  

If you're ever interested give me a quick email.  We can try to work out a time.

How's life going over there Garand_Shooter?  Ever make it out to Kandahar.  I'm wondering if it's changed much since I left.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a member at Piedmont Gun Club down in Rutherfordton (about an hour from Asheville).  We have a pretty decent setup if you guys want to try it out.  100, 200, and 600 yard rifle lines and 50yd pistol line.  

If you're ever interested give me a quick email.  We can try to work out a time.

How's life going over there Garand_Shooter?  Ever make it out to Kandahar.  I'm wondering if it's changed much since I left.

CHRIS

Not bad, couple months left. Never made it to KAF so I don't know how much as changed there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure how I missed the thread with the ranges on it (probably cause I've spent the past day reading damn near every thread in the Build It Yourself forum, haha)

I'd talk to Buck and Bass for him, but I live maybe 5 miles from Hazelwood and it would be counter productive for me to store there, haha.

@Cixelsyd, we might check it out at some point. Rutherfordton is a bit of a drive, but we might just get motivated one day and do it, who knows. If we do go, I'll hit you up first so we can arrange something.

I apprecaite it everyone! :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top